High performance

Old August 6th 03, 11:39 PM
Chris Gumm

Default High performance

I'm going to start training for Hi-perfromance aircraft. The plane is a 182.
I'm trying to locate info on the net that relate to hi perfromance and
constant speed props. Any suggestions?

TIA,
Chris

Old August 6th 03, 11:52 PM
Steve

There's not much to learn. How much ? Here it is -

Manifold pressure is your power instrument, adjust it with your throttle
knob. RPM is adjusted with the prop knob which is the blue one. Prop knob
goes all the way forward for takeoff and landing, bring it back a little in
cruise to set the RPM based on the POH performance you want. There, you've
just learned 90% of what you need to know for the 182.

Work on the details with your instructor for your plane's specifics, like
what to do differently on the runup check.

Old August 7th 03, 12:17 AM
Greg Esres

Any suggestions?

Check out John Deakin's articles on Avweb. Manifold Pressure Sucks,
Those Marvelous Props.

Old August 7th 03, 02:12 AM
Jim

Gene Whitts site has an extensive article on stepping up to a 182.
www.whittsflying.com
or google for Cessna 182 transition training

Jim

Old August 8th 03, 03:33 PM
MikeM

Get yourself an operating handbook for the model you intend to
fly. Read and understand the "operations", "limitations", and the
"checklist" items before you ever get in the airplane. If by reading
the manual you generate questions, ask your instructor to explain before
flying.

MikeM
2700 hrs in Skylane '1MM

Old August 9th 03, 04:34 AM
Chuck Emmett

I'm still a student but I bought a 182 for my own. The transition from a 172
(or SP) is a piece of cake. Speeds are a little higher, the constant speed
prop is no sweat, and the extra power . . . oh! How I love the extra power!
I'll never go back.

Chuckster41

Old August 9th 03, 06:07 PM
Marty Ross

That's my next step (getting a HP/complex endorsement), but I need to find
another FBO and don't have the time right now.

So, the next best thing I did was to take the "Commercial Pilot" lessons in
"Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004" which has a pretty good overview (for a
beginner at least) of what flying high-performance/complex is all about.

It's pretty basic so you may already know this stuff, but as an initial
overview, it's great -- the initial FS2004 lesson discusses manifold
pressure, the prop governor, and procedures for operating them and the
retractable gear.

Just FYI, in case you have FS2004