Suunto watches

Old August 7th 03, 03:55 AM
K i t W â l k e r

Default Suunto watches

Slightly OT but has anyone ever used a Suunto watch while flying?

I'm thinking about getting one for my climbing /skiing etc. and it
dawned on me that the 3' altimeter (supposedly accurate to 29000')
might be a handy back-up.

Just wondering

Cheers,
Kit

PPL.
Old August 7th 03, 04:34 AM
Casey Wilson

"K i t W â l k e r" wrote in
message ...
Slightly OT but has anyone ever used a Suunto watch while flying?

I'm thinking about getting one for my climbing /skiing etc. and it
dawned on me that the 3' altimeter (supposedly accurate to 29000')
might be a handy back-up.

Don't have one but a nonflying friend showed me his. Seemed pretty
good. If you get one, come back with a PIREP. I'd be really curious to
know how the accuracy is while in a flying cockpit. Is there any method for
correcting for baro pressure?

Old August 7th 03, 05:30 AM
Teacherjh

Is there any method for correcting for baro pressure?

I think it's a thousand feet per inch. So if the altimeter setting is 30.42,
that's half an inch difference, or five hundred feet. Add or subtract that
from the given reading. (High to low, look out below - so in this case you'd
read 500 feet lower than you are, so add) Should be good enough in an
emergency.

Test it before you need it.

Jose

Old August 7th 03, 01:32 PM
John T

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

I think it's a thousand feet per inch. So if the altimeter setting
is 30.42, that's half an inch difference, or five hundred feet. Add
or subtract that from the given reading. (High to low, look out
below - so in this case you'd read 500 feet lower than you are, so
add) Should be good enough in an emergency.

Just what I want in an emergency: Another math test.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old August 7th 03, 02:43 PM
the barkers

Kit,
I own a Suunto watch and I find it to be a reliable back up for the aircraft
altimeter and fairly accurate when I went up Cannon Mountain in New
Hampshire (on the gondola).
Best of luck
Don Barker
"K i t W â l k e r" wrote in
message ...

Old August 7th 03, 06:28 PM
Mutts

Actually you do adjust it for altimeter setting, but the increments are larger-
..05, but its close enough for what it does. Worked great in a pressurized
cabin, indicated 8,500' all through cruise

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:55:26 +1000, K i t W â l k e r
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting one for my climbing /skiing etc. and it
dawned on me that the 3' altimeter (supposedly accurate to 29000')
might be a handy back-up.

Has it got the equivalent of a Colesman window? And will it work in a
pressurized cabin? ;-)

Rob

Old August 7th 03, 07:42 PM
John Galban

K i t W â l k e r wrote in message . ..
Slightly OT but has anyone ever used a Suunto watch while flying?

I'm thinking about getting one for my climbing /skiing etc. and it
dawned on me that the 3' altimeter (supposedly accurate to 29000')
might be a handy back-up.

I've been wearing a Suunto for about 4 yrs. now. It is a
surprisingly reliable watch (although it's BIG). The altimeter
function is very accurate and has come in handy in the airplane.
Once as a tie-breaker when the altimeter and encoder didn't agree and
just a few weeks ago when I had the misfortune of having little bugs
invade my pitot/static system.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 8th 03, 02:07 AM
John Galban

wrote:

I'm thinking about getting one for my climbing /skiing etc. and it
dawned on me that the 3' altimeter (supposedly accurate to 29000')
might be a handy back-up.

Has it got the equivalent of a Colesman window? And will it work in a
pressurized cabin? ;-)

I generally set mine like I do the alimeter. Set it to airport
elevation prior to departure. You can adjust the barometric
pressure, but on mine it's calibrated to sea level, not corrected for
altitude like the altimeter settings you get from the airport.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 8th 03, 08:22 PM
Scott

I've had the Suunto for a few years, and it works great. When I was
doing my PPL, I was shopping around for a handy watch that had
easy-to-use timers, etc. I studied every "pilot" watch out there,
concluding the displays were WAY too small to see while bouncing
around in the plane, or at night (actually, I know a few ATP's, and
NONE of them wear a "pilot" watch). It finally dawned on me that I
already HAD the perfect watch for flying: the Suunto. Big display,
easy to use timer, back-lighting, and of course, a useful altimeter.

Cheers,

Scott

. com...