Flying with pregnant wife

Old August 8th 03, 08:47 PM
Big John

Sydney

Good post.

Knew you would come through with good stuff that us studs couldn't put
together. Haven't been there, haven't done that. G

Big John

On 8 Aug 2003 08:32:46 -0700, (Snowbird)
wrote:

(Captain Wubba) wrote in message . com...

My wife is pregnant with our first child. She is currently 12
weeks into an apparently uncomplicated pregnancy.

Congratulations!

What you'll find, Wubba, is that there isn't much in the
way of definitive research on this topic. I know, 'cuz it's
part of my job description to be able to dig up research like
a dog going after baked liver, and when I was pregnant I
had a personal interest.

1. What is the maximum altitude that would be 'safe' for for an
expectant mother to fly at?

Unclear. Rule of thumb: most commercial aircraft are pressurized
to ~8,000 ft and pregnant women fly commercial all the time w/out
problems. So that's probably a sensible guideline. If you're
concerned and want to fly higher, buy oxygen and have her use it.

We bought a system from Mountain High
http://www.mhoxygen.com/
with whom I have no connection except as a satisfied customer.
Their salesman Ric used to give an "RAH scum" discount (he and
his lovely wife are building a Berkut), you might ask if you
go that route. We personally find it very useful above about
5k on long legs, we are less tired and more alert.

2. Does this vary with the stage of pregnancy?

No, though in general your wife will be less comfortable and
have trouble breathing in general after 6-7 mos or so.

What will be more of a concern is the need to maintain good
circulation, which sitting for long periods restricts. You
might want to ask her OB about prescription compression
therapy (aka "support hose"). The OTC kind are helpful, the
prescription kind are great. The thigh-high model are
cheaper and cooler than the pantyhose.

Shorter flights with a chance to stretch legs and move around
are a must (1 hr vs 3-4 hr legs) not to mention that the baby
will be occupying (and probably kicking) the normal location
of her bladder.

3. Is there a time when we should simply stop flying?

Well, I was up shooting ILS in 300 ft and 1 mile vis at
37 weeks . It depends upon how comfortable she is.
By 9 mos, she'll probably be pretty uncomfortable. It's
analogous to building a plane: the first 9 months last
9 months, and the last 2-3 weeks last another 9 months .

Depending upon the design of your plane, you may need a
seatbelt extender and she may need a small stepstool to
get into the plane.

4. Are there any resources that anyone know of concernign flying with
small children (i.e. headsets, inner-ear issues, etc.?

AOPA has a packet "flying with children". Some people cut earplugs
down. We don't like that. Two commercial muff-style hearing protectors
will adjust down to fit an infant (Tasco Golden Eagle and Peltor
something II). About $20-$30. Fill in the top with foam and cover
w/ a piece of soft cloth. Nurse or give bottle/paci on climbout/
descent. Learn to descend at 200 fpm, ask ATC for "slow descent"
due to "baby on board" they will usually accomodate. Use a full-size
crib protector cut in half as a baby containment device during
diaper change.

When baby is toddler, Ear-planes are helpful and a regular headset
(with foam at the top) can be used to allow them to listen to music.

Entertaining a baby or child shut up in a small plane for a 9 hr
flying day is an art form, but it can be done

HTH,
Sydney

Old August 8th 03, 11:07 PM
Snowbird

Chris Kennedy wrote in message ...

I flew solo through 37 weeks with my OB's approval, so the
"caution" your wife experienced is neither universal nor
really backed up w/ any solid research. No harm in being
cautious though if your wife didn't mind.

I was, I believe, fairly clear that I was recounting our personal
experience and made no attempt to quantify it as either universal nor
even particularly applicable to anyone else.

Actually, Chris, that wasn't clear. The way you worded it was
"she was cautioned...because some women...." which kind of made
it sound like a generic caution applying to all pg women because
a number of pg women experience a such problem, rather than a
specific caution relating to your wife's personal medical history.

My point is that AFAIK it is not a general caution applying to
all pg women.

The caution didn't come from her OB (who we'd fired by that time) but
from her AME who brandished 61.53(a)(1) and her history of
low-blood-sugar induced migraines at her.

Sounds reasonable.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 8th 03, 11:21 PM
Bud

After consultation with a professional birth doula (I asked my wife a few
minutes ago) she offered this advice:

My wife is pregnant with our first child.

Congratulations!!

She is currently 12 weeks into an apparently uncomplicated pregnancy.

She's in good
health, and has no specific problems that we know of. I have heard
conflicting advice about flying in small, unpressurized planes while
pregnant. She's very
comfortable flying, and we like to travel, and would like to travel
via general aviation both before and (after a suitable age) after
delivery. The aircraft we fly in is not pressurized (It's either a 206
or a Beech Musketeer). I had a few questions:

Birth is not an illness. The reason she says this is because of your
statement that your wife "has no specific problems that we know of." Many
people in our culture treat pregnant women as if they had some kind of
illness and require constant medical attention. If mom is OK with flying,
then chances are the baby will be OK, too. She (my wife) said she doesn't
like flying but sees no reason why a pregnany woman shouldn't be able to.
(My wife was an air traffic controller for six years so she knows just
enough to be afraid of GA aircraft - but that's a different thread.) Baby
is pretty well protected and as long as she isn't ingesting something
harmful she should be fine.

1. What is the maximum altitude that would be 'safe' for for an
expectant mother to fly at?

As far as I know there hasn't been any research on safe altitudes for
pregnant women to fly at. But then again, there's no research that says
ultrasounds are safe. Years ago they used to give women routine x-rays
("It's only light, it's not going to hurt you or your baby.")

2. Does this vary with the stage of pregnancy?

Again, nothing to say it's not safe at any stage of pregnancy. Of course
women go through physiological changes during pregnancy that may require
some logistical changes in routine (bathroom breaks, bigger seat belts, etc
....)

3. Is there a time when we should simply stop flying?

When your wife doesn't want to fly anymore? :-)

4. Are there any resources that anyone know of concernign flying with
small children (i.e. headsets, inner-ear issues, etc.?

This has prompted some research on our part since my wife is a birth doula
and she's married to an air traffic controller. Obviously, hearing
protection is a must.

Congratulations again!

--
73,
Bud

And God Said, "Let there be electromagnetic radiation with a
wavelength range of 400nm to 700nm that travels with a speed
of about 186,281 miles per second in a vacuum."