"Jawbreaker" Lost at Sun N Fun

Old April 20th 04, 07:25 PM
Orval Fairbairn

Default "Jawbreaker" Lost at Sun N Fun

I am told that the Glasair that crashed (fortunately not fatal) at SNF
Sunday was the beautiful, highly-modofoed Galsair III, "Jawbreaker,"
that is featured in the April Sprot Aviation. The apparently stalled,
dropped a wing and turned over.

This plane was absolutely gorgeous! The had re-engineered it to take a
Lycoming IO-720, modified to 450 hp. Such a shame!
Old April 21st 04, 07:21 AM
Jay Beckman

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
I am told that the Glasair that crashed (fortunately not fatal) at SNF
Sunday was the beautiful, highly-modofoed Galsair III, "Jawbreaker,"
that is featured in the April Sprot Aviation. The apparently stalled,
dropped a wing and turned over.

This plane was absolutely gorgeous! The had re-engineered it to take a
Lycoming IO-720, modified to 450 hp. Such a shame!

Indeed,

I was just reading that article the other night...drooling the entire time!

Damn fine looking airplane. Glad it wasn't fatal.

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
12.8 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old April 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
Greg Siemon

This is brings to mind the loss of an old acquaintance, Ben Moyel, at KSOH
several years ago. I also own a GIII 330HP http://members.cox.net/n30sx/
that is modified from plan. I did have one observation from the pictures in
Sport Aviation and that is that the horizontal looks very small, at least in
comparison to my AC. This may be just the result of the perspective form
the picture as I have not seen Jawbreaker in person. Any comments?

Old April 23rd 04, 12:28 PM
R&R Sherwood

I am a Glasair I RG owner, I saw Jawbreaker last year at SNF.... I did not
notice that the tail feathers looked any smaller than that of any other
GIII, although I must admit tail size was not something that I paid much
attention to.
Russell Sherwood
Houston, TX

Old April 23rd 04, 10:23 PM
Bruce Gray

The GIII that crashed had a normal size tail. From my conversations with the
owner most modifications were confined to the engine mount, cowling, and
engine.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

Old April 25th 04, 12:29 AM
Richard Lamb

Greg Siemon wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...21X00493&key=1

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
I am told that the Glasair that crashed (fortunately not fatal) at SNF
Sunday was the beautiful, highly-modofoed Galsair III, "Jawbreaker,"
that is featured in the April Sprot Aviation. The apparently stalled,
dropped a wing and turned over.

This plane was absolutely gorgeous! The had re-engineered it to take a
Lycoming IO-720, modified to 450 hp. Such a shame!

Gee, now I kind of wonder _why_ it stalled on takeoff.

Obviously not a lack of power.

Anybody want to take a wild guess at the wing loading?
Old April 25th 04, 03:31 PM
Tedstriker

Gee, now I kind of wonder _why_ it stalled on takeoff.

Obviously not a lack of power.

Anybody want to take a wild guess at the wing loading?

There's no wonder in that, it got too slow. And as heavy as that plane
is, the stall speed is higher. It weighs in 500lbs heavier than a
stock Glasair 3. That would definitely raise the stall speed. A stock
Glasair 3 should wiegh in the neighborhood of 1,600lbs empty. The
articals I read about Jawbreaker listed it's empty weight at 2100lbs.
Old April 25th 04, 05:24 PM
L.D.

Richard Lamb wrote:

Greg Siemon wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...21X00493&key=1

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

I am told that the Glasair that crashed (fortunately not fatal) at SNF
Sunday was the beautiful, highly-modofoed Galsair III, "Jawbreaker,"
that is featured in the April Sprot Aviation. The apparently stalled,
dropped a wing and turned over.

This plane was absolutely gorgeous! The had re-engineered it to take a
Lycoming IO-720, modified to 450 hp. Such a shame!

Gee, now I kind of wonder _why_ it stalled on takeoff.

Obviously not a lack of power.

Anybody want to take a wild guess at the wing loading?

"Obviously not a lack of power"
Why not?
With more power it could have climbed at the rate of climb he was doing without the angle of attack.
I remember people talking about Swift 85hp, Monney 150hp, Comanche 180 and others. People said they needed more power. Well did they? No. The airplanes would do what they were intended to do. To do more you would need more poweer. Now my "well did they" would be "yes" if you wanted to do more than were intended to do.

Old April 25th 04, 09:54 PM
Javier Henderson

Tedstriker writes:

There's no wonder in that, it got too slow. And as heavy as that plane
is, the stall speed is higher.

According to the article on Sport Aviation, this airplane's stall
speed is 90mph.

-jav