Pretensioning cables

Old November 18th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Pretensioning cables

Anyone have a good method for pretensioning cables. There has been some
issues of late with 601Xl control cables getting loose after the first
few flights.

I'm looking for info on ways to pretension 1/8" galvanized cables that
are tensioned between 22 and 40 lbs.
Old November 18th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gregory Hall

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have a good method for pretensioning cables. There has been some
issues of late with 601Xl control cables getting loose after the first few
flights.

I'm looking for info on ways to pretension 1/8" galvanized cables that are
tensioned between 22 and 40 lbs.

Pre-tensioning cables is not possible. You must mean post-tensioning?

--
Gregory Hall

Old November 18th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 18, 10:33*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Anyone have a good method for pretensioning cables. There has been some
issues of late with 601Xl control cables getting loose after the first
few flights.

I'm looking for info on ways to pretension 1/8" galvanized cables that
are tensioned between 22 and 40 lbs.

Only once have I seen a pair of cables go slack soon after
installation, and I think (just an opinion) that there was a lot of
the heavy, waxy oil in the cable that squeezed out and let the strands
come together under tension. That would let them relax some. All the
other cables we've ever installed stayed tight. Are you sure there's
no deformation taking place in the control system? Or maybe they're
being tensioned in a warm shop, then the airplane goes out into the
cold and the aluminum shrinks more than the steel cable and they'll go
a little loose.

Dan
Old November 18th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Gregory Hall schreef:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have a good method for pretensioning cables. There has been some
issues of late with 601Xl control cables getting loose after the first few
flights.

I'm looking for info on ways to pretension 1/8" galvanized cables that are
tensioned between 22 and 40 lbs.

Pre-tensioning cables is not possible. You must mean post-tensioning?

Must mean post-installation but pre-crash.
Old November 20th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dan for the only straight answer. Am I sure there isn't any
deformation? No I'm not, because it hasn't happened yet to a plane I
have had access to. The people that have have said that no there is no
deformation.

In one case a plane was flown recently from Florida to South Carolina.
On arrival in SC the aileron counter balance cable was so slack that it
was unmeasurable with a tension gauge. From building the same design I
would have to think that enough deformation to loosen the cable that
much would be clearly visible.

This is an extreme example. Most is the reports are in the neighborhood
of 10-12 lbs change in tension.
Old November 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

It is pretty amazing how much pressure a person can exert with their feet.

I believe the 601 control horns are 6061T6 extruded angle(?)

Just to be sure, make a careful inspection of the rudder and horns.
Make sure the attachments are still secure.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The democracy will cease to exist when you
take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson
Old November 21st 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 20, 3:17*pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
"It is pretty amazing how much pressure a person can exert with their
feet."

My thoughts exactly!

It depends on the design of the control system (Independent pedals
vs a rudder bar). "Way back when", I had an issue with finding myself
putting way to much foot pressure on the rudder pedals. Finally
switching to something with toe brakes cured me fast!

Vaughn
Old November 21st 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

cavelamb himself wrote:

It is pretty amazing how much pressure a person can exert with their feet.

I believe the 601 control horns are 6061T6 extruded angle(?)

Just to be sure, make a careful inspection of the rudder and horns.
Make sure the attachments are still secure.

Yep 6061T6. BUT the problem isn't showing itself in the rudder cables it
is in the ailerons.
Old November 21st 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote

Yep 6061T6. BUT the problem isn't showing itself in the rudder cables it
is in the ailerons.

Wood wings, or metal?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 21st 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Morgans wrote:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote

Yep 6061T6. BUT the problem isn't showing itself in the rudder cables it
is in the ailerons.

Wood wings, or metal?

The 601s are all aluminum.
Zodiac designed by Chris Heinz.

Break

Gig, you better dig into that.

It sounds like something has "adjusted" it's position.
It might innocent, but you need to know for sure WHY the change.

My next door neighbor on the airport built an 601-HDS.
It looked pretty solid.

The cables just are not long enough to show any significant stretch.
Not at 40 pounds tension.

Check for a loose pivot point?
Or a bent support?

Or?

Or the cable ends! Thimbles in place?
Have they changed shape any at all?

Check the nicopress collars with a go/no go gage?

Any detectable wear in the connection tangs?

Does this airplane have the hingless aileron hinges?
(Althought I seem to think there was a pushrod to the aileron)

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The democracy will cease to exist when you
take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson

FS: Piper Jumper Cables Video Man Aviation Marketplace 1 January 29th 07 12:27 AM
Antonov control cables John Home Built 7 October 6th 06 12:40 AM
FS: Piper Booster cables Ottprivatesale Owning 0 July 11th 06 04:36 AM
unsticking cables dlevy Owning 12 January 8th 06 09:39 AM
MiG-29 cables alcatraz Military Aviation 0 March 1st 04 10:01 PM