C-182 carb-heat causing rough running.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:10 AM
R.T.

Default C-182 carb-heat causing rough running.

Hello all, may be some one could help me out. I purchased a 1967 C-182 K
this summer with a Continental 470. When I pull out the carb the RPMs drop
considerably(200+rpm). I believe that it is creating a rich mixture as on a
run up I can get the rpms to come back up by leaning. I guess I'm just not
used to this kind of massive change and I'm wondering if its normal and if
there is anything I can do about it.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:33 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:10:30 -0500, "R.T." brt5ATexeculink.com
wrote:

Hello all, may be some one could help me out. I purchased a 1967 C-182 K
this summer with a Continental 470. When I pull out the carb the RPMs drop
considerably(200+rpm). I believe that it is creating a rich mixture as on a
run up I can get the rpms to come back up by leaning. I guess I'm just not
used to this kind of massive change and I'm wondering if its normal and if
there is anything I can do about it.

Sounds like your carb heat works really well.

Bring the engine back to full idle and apply the carb heat. If it
still runs I wouldn't worry about it. Doing this check will make sure
the engine won't quit on short final.

HTH.
Old November 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Steven Barnes

Our club has a '67 182. Similar behavior. I'll have to try pulling all the
way at idle. I've never had it kill the engine on final, though.
I've gotten to the point I only pull the carb heat out about half way.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
Howard Nelson

"R.T." brt5ATexeculink.com wrote in message
Hello all, may be some one could help me out. I purchased a 1967 C-182 K
this summer with a Continental 470. When I pull out the carb the RPMs drop
considerably(200+rpm). I believe that it is creating a rich mixture as on

run up I can get the rpms to come back up by leaning. I guess I'm just not
used to this kind of massive change and I'm wondering if its normal and if
there is anything I can do about it.

Working just fine. Doubt that happens when flying. You must mean on the
ground during runup. Unless you have a carb temp gauge the POH says full
carb heat when below the green (approach and landing). I have a carb temp
gauge and it sometimes goes into the yellow mid summer here in coastal
california when OAT is 70F+. In a 182 carb heat is your friend.

Howard C182P

---

Old November 22nd 04, 09:55 PM
R.T.

It does happen in flight, I have always been taught to do a carb heat check
on down wind and you can feel the engine drop in power (CS prop keeps the
rpms up) . I don't have a carb temp guage but right now i wish i did have.
RT
om...

Old November 22nd 04, 11:01 PM

I'll bet you are running unusually rich for whatever reason - even
with carb heat off.

To start off with though, the mixture distribution in carburated
O-470s is poor.
Old November 24th 04, 08:20 PM
Newps

R.T. wrote:

Hello all, may be some one could help me out. I purchased a 1967 C-182 K
this summer with a Continental 470.

I also have the 67 182.

When I pull out the carb the RPMs drop
considerably(200+rpm).

Yep.

I believe that it is creating a rich mixture as on a
run up I can get the rpms to come back up by leaning.

Pulling carb heat on any plane always makes the mixture rich.

I guess I'm just not
used to this kind of massive change and I'm wondering if its normal and if
there is anything I can do about it.

It's normal. I don't use carb heat because it's not needed where I
live. Don't use carb heat in the pattern just because the checklist
calls for it. Use it when you need it.
Old November 24th 04, 08:21 PM
Newps

You can get an EI digital stand alone unit for a couple hundred. I have
mine as part of my engine analyzer.

R.T. wrote:

No I don't have a Carb Temp gauge..............from that comment I am
assuming you think that it would be a wise desision?
On that note any recomendations as to what to get and how much to expect to
pay?

"Bill Hale" wrote in message
om...

) wrote in message
e.com...

I'll bet you are running unusually rich for whatever reason - even
with carb heat off.

To start off with though, the mixture distribution in carburated
O-470s is poor.

Whenever you pull carb heat on, the mixture gets really rich. You
can get most of the power back by re-leaning.

The distribution in O-470s can be fixed by running the carb heat such
that the carb air temperature is 10C. They will smooth out and even
lean of peak operations can be done. Courtesy of the excellent Advanced
Pilot Seminar course.

You DO have a carb temp gauge on this ice maker don't you?

Bill Hale

Have you ever experienced carb ice with an injector carb? flybynightkarmarepair Home Built 1 January 31st 05 01:48 AM
rough running C-182 R&A Kyle Owning 10 November 16th 04 11:45 PM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 04:39 PM
alternate carb heat Ray Toews Home Built 16 October 29th 04 12:41 PM
Help; Rough running Continental O-300D JFLEISC Owning 11 July 9th 04 01:31 AM