DG-1000 - confusing W&B information in the pilot's manual

Old July 23rd 19, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
India Four Two

Default DG-1000 - confusing W&B information in the pilot's manual

My gliding club has a DG-1000S. We have an overly complex spreadsheet which we use to determine permissible cockpit weights and the number of tail weights required (0-12 Kg). Part of the complexity is that the spreadsheet has to allow for 18 m or 20 m wings, plus wet or dry configuration.

Another member and I have taken on the task of producing a simplified spread. I have a lot of experience with W&B calculations, so I don't foresee any difficulty in producing a suitable new spreadsheet. I have been experimenting with producing a graph with front seat weight on the X axis, CG location on the Y axis and lines showing different rear seat weights from zero to the maximum allowed.

The difficulty we are having is in understanding the pilot's manual. It seems to be a mixture of mandated weights plus suggested weights to keep the CG within an "acceptable" range. In places it is incomprehensible.

I thought initially, that it might be poor translation, but I discovered that the German manual is equally bad!

I'm wondering if there are any DG-1000 operators in this group who might like to give some advice.
Old July 24th 19, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have a DG1000S that we use and have a super simple spreadsheet that includes a graphical picture of the CG location and will turn RED if you are outside limits. Send me a personal note and I'll send an excel file your way.

-Kevin
Old July 24th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I created a weight and balance spreadsheet that I use with our DG-1000S. I use it to verify CG using passenger weights, tail and nose weights, and water ballast. I'd be glad to email it to you for your reference upon request.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.