More trailer tire/wheel issues

Old July 24th 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default More trailer tire/wheel issues

I just changed the tongue damper on a 10/2007 Cobra.
Had been in procrastination mode. Perhaps others put that job off too?
Thanks for keeping the thread going as a reminder!
It took 90 minutes from chocking and jacking the trailer prior to removal until rolling it out with the new part installed.
This part I believe is critical in maintaining good braking behaviour.

There is an Al-Ko Workshop manual, covering axles, brakes, hitches and overrun devices. It also has lists of lubricants and accessories.

http://www.tabberiet.dk/T%40B-siden/...al%20AL-KO.pdf

The missing information for those with the square tongue:

Remove the jockey wheel.
After disconnecting the brake rod, remove the two bolts holding the drawbar onto the tongue.
Remove the drawbar.

Tools:
17mm open end for the brake rod. 19mm socket and open or box for the other bolts. Alignment tool for the new damper. Torque wrench.
Hammer, beer.
Jim
Old July 24th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

JS is spot on
I was taught if you can't fix it with a hammer its probably electrical.

Old July 24th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was taught if you can't fix it with a hammer its probably electrical.

You can also solve electrical issues with a hammer. Even software issues. Try Windows 10 and keep a pummeling device handy.

Old July 24th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Windows 10 is not an operating system, it is a "Service".Â* Just ask 'em...

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 25th 19, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On that Windows 10 reference..... a disservice. And that should complete the thread drift. Drift - that might close the loop back to scary braking and no braking.
Old July 26th 19, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just took my Cobra for a test drive, 20 miles with moderate up and down grades..........everything’s cool! A month ago, I blew a tire ( my bad, the great looking tire was actually 20 years old). Bought 6 ply trailer tires rated for 50 psi ( original tires were 3 ply rated at 35 psi). Next time out, I had hot brakes......really hot right brake after an hour of down hill towing. I have seen this before on another Cobra trailer. My surge damper checks OK, I believe the surge brake is holding more or less constant trailer braking during extended down grade towing. This causes hot brakes! Hot brakes cause bearing failure!
My fix consisted of new tires, new right wheel bearing and locking out the surge break for extended down hill towing. My F-150 has plenty breaking power for a 1600# trailer..........I may just leave the brakes locked out all the time. All I want and need is reliable, trouble free towing!
JJ

FS - New Tost Brass 200 x 50 Tail Wheel with tire and tube Dave Springford Soaring 1 June 26th 18 11:12 AM
Tost brass tail wheel, tube, tire for sale: USA Barny Soaring 2 August 12th 11 10:43 PM
Spare wheel/tire Steve Freeman Soaring 0 August 12th 10 11:21 PM
looking for wheel/tire/brake Brad[_2_] Soaring 1 July 29th 10 02:56 AM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 04:22 AM