Sad Tale of Greed and Aspiration.

Old September 1st 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer![_2_]

Default Sad Tale of Greed and Aspiration.

"Max Kellermann" wrote in message
jb92563 wrote:

snip

At this point Paolo is about ready to throw in the towel on LK8000
and we end users will ultimately loose out.

Remember that I warned of exactly this outcome and the loss for all
users yesterday?

Do you understand now why users benefit from LK8000 becoming open
source again?

snip

Is this really a 'sad tale of greed and aspiration' or a 'sad tale of two
chaps who cannot stand each other'? Open Source doesn't mean the
programmers leave their egos at the door. Both you and Paolo seem to be
pretty handy dishing out the insults.

I'm glad I use a completely different PDA program which doesn't seem to have
ego problems. It's not Open Source but since it's free and since the
developers usually adopt suggestions (including one of mine!) I'm more than
happy, especially since even if it never changes again it works just fine
for me.

BTW I am also hoping that all the developers of both PC and PDA software are
taking note of the xNOTAM, AIXM and IGC standard waypoint file format
changes that are coming along.

AIXM will become the definitive airspace files, to have to continue
translating into TNP format (even automatically) would be pointless. Ditto
with the new NOTAMs and waypoint files. I dream of Turnpoint Exchange
having those standard files - or rather links to where they come from -
displayed proudly at the top.

http://www.aixm.aero/public/subsite_.../homepage.html
http://www.aixm.aero/public/standard...rocontrol.html
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/wpformat.asp

Old September 1st 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Surfer!" wrote:

Is this really a 'sad tale of greed and aspiration' or a 'sad tale of two
chaps who cannot stand each other'? Open Source doesn't mean the
programmers leave their egos at the door. Both you and Paolo seem to be
pretty handy dishing out the insults

I knew this would happen.... The "Sad Tale" mentioned in the subject
actually refers to the adventures of the original poster buying a cheap
PNA and trying to get XCSoar on it, rather than buying something more
expensive built for the task. It doesn't refer to the XCSoar/LK8000
conflict. That may be sad too, although I doubt it involves greed, since
neither side is making any money from them as far as I know.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old September 1st 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Surfer! wrote:
Both you and Paolo seem to be pretty handy dishing out the insults.

Me? Please cite my insult against Paolo. I can't remember doing
that, and I'm unable to find it in the archive. Seriously.

Max

A Tale Told By An Idiot Mike Kanze Naval Aviation 10 May 14th 08 07:26 PM
Old timer tale Frank Whiteley Soaring 2 August 21st 06 05:28 PM
Shirt tale Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 August 1st 06 08:12 PM
Chilling tale by Dick Rutan Greasy Rider @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 27 July 29th 06 06:22 PM
Interesting tale from WWII Chuck Peterson Piloting 8 May 9th 06 07:06 PM