Grob 102 AD superseded

Old September 14th 04, 03:54 AM
Jim Phoenix

Default Grob 102 AD superseded

From faa.gov - new AD 2004-17-04:

"The US FAA supersedes Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2001-26-25, which
applies to all Grob-Werke Gmbh & Co KG (Grob) Models G102 CLUB ASTIR III,
G102 CLUB ASTIR IIIb, and G102 STANDARD ASTIR III sailplanes."

In a nutshell:

"This AD requires you to install additional mass balance in the elevator and
ailerons and determine resultant empty weight and empty weight center of
gravity; incorporate a revision in the sailplane maintenance manual; and
remove the red mark and the red placard on the airspeed indicator (both
required by AD 2001-26-25). This AD is the result of mandatory continuing
airworthiness information (MCAI) issued by the airworthiness authority for
Germany."

So, if I'm reading this right, and I'd like to believe I am - owners of
102's must perform the mod, thereby lifting the Vne restriction. AD becomes
effective October 7, 2004, compliance required within 25 hrs time in service
after Oct. 7, 2004. The FAA received no comments on the proposed AD during
the comment period.

At least they waited until after the season.

For the full text, go to www.faa.gov, select "airworthiness directives" from
the pull down menu and search teh AD page for 2004-17-04.
Jim

Old September 14th 04, 01:16 PM
Todd Smith

Jim,

I got mine in the mail last week, I guess that it's time
to call Grob Systems and schedule an appointment.

Todd
Old September 14th 04, 09:43 PM
OscarCVox

[...]

Forgive me if I have got this wrong but fitting all this lead on the tail will
require about 5 times as much in the nose to keep the CofG corect.

However all this extra weight will limit the max cockpit load to such an extent
that only light pilots will be able to fly it. this will make the gliders
virtually unsellable.
Is this really what was intended?

As you probably know this AD was issued as a result of alleged flutter in two
gliders. Unfortunately the 'remedy' was to calculate the mass balance to the
latest JAR spec for the which the glider was never designed or intended. If
the same logic was applied to all gliders of a similar vintage we would have
virtually nothing left to fly!!

Old September 15th 04, 01:40 AM
Jim Phoenix

Todd,

The AD NPRM says there's about 50 102's in the US, so you've got a good idea
to get in line early.

Too bad they didn't leave the option of just staying with the Vne
restriction - I'm kind of surprised they mandated the terminating action
without that option. Maybe the Grob owners need a type club to voice their
opinion in these things like many others do through the AOPA Type Club ACS
program. The AOPA makes a point to comment, good, bad AND indifferent on
each AD that is presented on their ACS web site. The AOPA commented on the
original 2001 AD - they stated they had no objections or comments.

Jim

om...

Grob Elevator Needed Bruce Soaring 0 July 20th 04 09:45 PM
Needed: English manual for Grob 103 III Bob Soaring 1 June 21st 04 01:23 PM
Help with Grob Needed Scott Soaring 5 January 11th 04 05:07 AM
Help, Need Complete Front Canopy for Grob 103 Carl Buehler Soaring 0 December 28th 03 02:15 AM
Grob 103 bulletin becomes AD Mike Borgelt Soaring 0 October 3rd 03 12:47 AM