No LXNav TrafficView Manual???

Old July 20th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default No LXNav TrafficView Manual???

The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now. But where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we can "just figure things out". But a new expensive product and no manual available at startup? Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and there is no need to update them with major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John
Old July 20th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 7:41:01 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now. But where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we can "just figure things out". But a new expensive product and no manual available at startup? Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and there is no need to update them with major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John

I have noticed that as well with manuals, they either dont exist or are and afterthought and never updated. drives me nuts! Good luck
Old July 20th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just a shout out to LXNav...

I just received a Flarmview yesterday and, before picking it up at the
post office, I sat at home with my cable building tools but was unable
to get a cable to test properly.Â* When I opened the Flarmview there was
a flat cable included with an RJ-45 connector on one end and an RJ-11 on
the other, a pretty good start.

At the airport, I opened the panel of my Stemme, found the cable
splitter that I'd installed a couple of years ago to split the signal
from my PowerFlarm portable, one leg to my ClearNav and the other to a
K6-BT to send a Bluetooth signal to my wife's Streak/XCSoar.Â* I removed
one cable from the splitter's output and connected the Flarmview,
powered up and...Â* It worked!Â* So I disabled the Bluetooth channel in
the Streak, pulled the glider out and went flying.

I was so happy seeing a target on the Flarmview before takeoff that I
did not notice that the ClearNav was no longer displaying targets.Â* Late
in the flight I noticed that the ClearNav was not displaying a lowercase
"f", indicating connectivity with the Flarm,
Â*so I thought it might be a setup problem with the Flarmview blocking
the ClearNav.Â* Back at the hangar, I changed the setup on the Flarmview
to make it a slave peripheral.Â* Then I thought to enable the Flarm
channel on the Streak.Â* Yup, I'd removed the wrong cable from the
splitter.Â* The Streak was displaying Flarm traffic. So I swapped the
cables and the "f" popped up on the ClearNav.Â* I'll have to fly it today
and see how it all plays together.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 21st 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It played together well.Â* But I didn't have a current flarmnet file so I
downloaded, converted, and installed the file on the SD card which came
with the device.Â* Now the device won't turn on.Â* I tried with a
different SD card and it did turn on.Â* I've brought the SD cards home
and will try to figure out what went wrong.

I'm very happy with the Flarmview and the manual is available on the
LXNav website.Â* There was also a copy of the user manual on the USB
stick included with the device.

On 7/20/2019 9:16 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now.Â* But
where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we can
"just figure things out".Â* But a new expensive product and no manual
available at startup?Â* Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics
manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and
there is no need to update them withÂ* major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 21st 19, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

So my Flarmview SD card is shot.Â* I recall there were a few folders and
other files on the card as delivered.Â* I have a flarm.flx file which
I've installed on a clean SD card.

Can anyone tell me what else should be on the SD card and where I can
find it?Â* I've found nothing at the lxnav.com website.

wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now.Â* But
where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we
can "just figure things out".Â* But a new expensive product and no

Old July 21st 19, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 7:41:01 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now. But where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we can "just figure things out". But a new expensive product and no manual available at startup? Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and there is no need to update them with major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John

Not to pick on LXNav, since other suppliers may be as bad, but the LXNav manuals are very poor: muddled, written in 'odd English', with many products combined into a single manual. They make what is a good product hard to understand.
Old July 21st 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now.Â* But
where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we
can "just figure things out".Â* But a new expensive product and no
manual available at startup?Â* Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics
manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and
there is no need to update them withÂ* major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John

--
Dan, 5J

That is all you need.

Richard
Old July 21st 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, Richard.

Is it safe to assume that my configuration will be written to the card
or stored in the device?Â* I found that by configuring the device without
a card installed and cycling the power, it reverted to factory
condition.Â* Of course, next time I fly, I'll find out...

Old July 21st 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

wrote:
The new LXNav TrafficView has been available for a while now.Â* But
where the heck is the manual?

I know, I know, it is similar enough to the older FlarmView so we
can "just figure things out".Â* But a new expensive product and no
manual available at startup?Â* Really?

One thing we have all noticed is that glider specific avionics
manufacturers seem to think that manuals are an afterthought and
there is no need to update them withÂ* major software releases.

- "Manual-less" John
--
Dan, 5J

That is all you need.

Richard

--
Dan, 5J

Dan,

I found that you may have to reset the baud rate on the Flarmview if it is different than the PowerFlarm Cfg file. My FlarmChg.txt was 57600 for the flarmview port, if you put a blank card in the flarmview the baud rate of the flarmview reverts to 19200 which is probably the default of the flarmview.

Richard

Old July 21st 19, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Richard,

I'm leaving for the airport now and will check the baudrates.Â* If memory
serves I have $PFLAC,S,BAUD1,5 (57,600 baud) in the PowerFlarm portable
and 19,200 baud in the flarmview.Â* I'll see if I can set the higher baud
rate in the flarmview and, if that doesn't work, I'll lower the baud
rate in the PF portable to 19,200 (BAUD1,2).

Dan

wrote:
[...]

LxNav USB hub? Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 8 May 21st 18 04:06 AM
New vario by LXNAV [email protected] Soaring 6 May 22nd 13 11:15 PM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 01:31 AM
FA: B-737 OPERATIONS MANUAL - Ops Manual for a B-737 Jet Peter Aviation Marketplace 0 December 28th 04 02:08 AM
LX1000 Manual & Speed Astir Manual Avron Tal Soaring 1 June 20th 04 07:15 AM