Strojnik motorglider

Old April 12th 05, 10:37 PM
Wallace Berry

Default Strojnik motorglider

Hi,

A friend who has had a few glider flights asked me about the Strojnik
S-2a motorglider. Apparently, he has seen one for sale somewhere. I
suspect this will not be a suitable ship for him. However, his questions
made me realize that I have no real information about the ship, just
some vague notions that it is not a "real good glider". Can anyone out
there provide info on the ship? Stuff like flying qualities,
soarability, and safety record. We need not even discuss it's looks.

Didn't the designer die recently?

Thanks for your attention and for any replies.

Wallace

--
Take out the airplane for reply
Old April 12th 05, 11:06 PM
Stefan

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl...fm?planeID=281
Old April 13th 05, 12:12 AM
Wayne Paul

Wallace,

I don't have any first hand information; however, here is a page that has
some data and a few pictures.
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/N145CE/N145CE.htm

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"

Old April 13th 05, 12:53 AM
Fish

I was building an S2A for several years, but have since sold the
project.
It is a pod/low boom, mid winged pusher.
L/D approx 35 with a folding prop.
A wonderful concept and by all reports flew beautifully. A little
complex to build though.
The Designer, Alex Strojnik has been gone for about 5 years i think.
I think his wife Cirila still sells his three books from the
classifieds. They are an excellent read!!

Cheers

Mark

Old April 13th 05, 03:38 AM
COLIN LAMB

Last year, I saw a Stronjnik for sale last year that had an engine mounted
out on one wing. Very strange appearance.

I would be very cautious about that aircraft. Asymmetrical thrust has
killed a lot of twin engine pilots. Did not seem like a prudent
modification, although it would draw a lot of attention at fly-ins.
Caution - do not fly low and slow.

Colin

Old April 13th 05, 04:58 AM
Fish

I think the aircraft Colin saw was actually a Carbon Dragon with 1 x
12hp motor on the port wing t.e.

Old April 13th 05, 03:19 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
Stefan wrote:

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl...fm?planeID=281

I appreciate all the replies through the newsgroup and email.

I stand corrected. Apparently, my "vague notions" about the Strojnik
were wrong. From what I've been reading, the Strojnik S2a was very well
engineered, with some significant cleverness in the aerodynamics of the
wing, and handles well. The designer, Alex Strojnik, did gold distance
and more in his. The NTSB only lists one accident for the type, a hard
landing, and there were no injuries to the pilot.

Beauty is as beauty does...

--
Take out the airplane for reply
Old August 2nd 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 8:19:43 AM UTC-6, Wallace Berry wrote:
In article ,
Stefan wrote:

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl...fm?planeID=281

I appreciate all the replies through the newsgroup and email.

I stand corrected. Apparently, my "vague notions" about the Strojnik
were wrong. From what I've been reading, the Strojnik S2a was very well
engineered, with some significant cleverness in the aerodynamics of the
wing, and handles well. The designer, Alex Strojnik, did gold distance
and more in his. The NTSB only lists one accident for the type, a hard
landing, and there were no injuries to the pilot.

Beauty is as beauty does...

--
Take out the airplane for reply

Reviving an ancient thread.
I'm hoping to find plans for the S-2 or S-2A but they are very rare.
My intent is not to build one per the plans, but to use the plans as a resource and inspirational guide for building my own motorglider design which will be a battery / solar-powered FAR-103 legal ultralight .. project working name "Sunriser."

If you know of anyone who owns a set of S-2 plans, or even a project plane, please share their contact information with me.

Alex Strojnik decided to cease sales of plans for liability reasons, even though he passed away many years ago, I respect his wishes and his widow's.
John Washington of Reaction Research still sells the 3 Strojnik books, which are very interesting and helpful, but some essential details are evidentally to be found only in the S-2 plans.
John's site URL: http://www.reactionresearch.com/airc...jnikbooks.html
BTW, the new link for the Strojnik S-2 on the sailplane directory is: http://sailplanedirectory.com/sailplanes/s-2/
Old August 6th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Stefan wrote:

[...]

Here's a little more info, but not much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strojnik_S-2

I would be very suspicious of the quoted 34:1 glide ratio, given the large wetted area. The 28 hp engine would only be (barely) adequate for self-launching at sea level, assuming it still runs (engines this old are problematic).

My advice to your friend: pass on it.

Tom

IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 12:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 04:06 AM
Flying a motorglider without the engine? Eric Greenwell Soaring 1 September 23rd 03 05:38 AM
Latest Pipistrel Motorglider Newsletter Uploaded Michael Coates Soaring 2 September 16th 03 06:04 PM
Looking for Partner(s) to Buy a Touring Motorglider Richard Davidson Soaring 0 August 16th 03 01:54 AM