video of my spin

Old June 21st 05, 01:20 AM
Nobody

Default video of my spin

Sometime back I had to get my spin endorsement to get my CFI. My CFI did
the first one. I was entirely unprepared for what happened. I had no idea
how quickly the nose fell, the nose down attitude during the spin, and how
fast it rotated. Based on what I had read about spins, I didn't think we
were spinning. I had no idea what was happening. The only thing that
crossed my mind was structural failure. Had it happened to me while solo, I
doubt I would have recovered.

So, here's my point. Get spin training. Several months ago a friend of a
friend accidentally spun and didn't recover.

A few weeks ago I went up in a great little Super Decathalon with a CFI and
decided to take along my camera to get video of a spin. Don't worry, my CFI
friend did all the flying while I worked the camera. Follow the link below
to see the videos. Note how quickly the nose drops. It takes less than
three seconds to go from nose high to very, very nose low. I don't think
the videos really demonstrate how abrupt it is. In the plane it seems to
happen in the blink of the eye.

Please right click and download them. Otherwise you'll have to replay them
because they'll stall (no pun intended). Replaying them will just use up
the allotted bandwidth on the site I manage.

http://www.insyncexotics.com/spins.htm

Kind Regards

Richard Mandel (rmandel(-at-)yahoo(.dot.)com(remove the (-at-) and (.dot.))

Old June 22nd 05, 04:07 AM
john smith

Thanks for posting.
Looks like your friend forced the entry of each spin, though.
The nose shouldn't jump up above the horizon.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:52 AM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-06-21, Nobody wrote:
how quickly the nose fell, the nose down attitude during the spin, and how
fast it rotated.

Try a right hand spin with full power in a Decathalon. That is FAST.

I've spun Blanik gliders on numerous occasions. If you look sideways
during the spin exit/recovery, you'll see that in a Blanik, once the
spin is stopped you are pointed *straight* at the ground.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 22nd 05, 01:36 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:52:20 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote in
::

I've spun Blanik gliders on numerous occasions. If you look sideways
during the spin exit/recovery, you'll see that in a Blanik, once the
spin is stopped you are pointed *straight* at the ground.

I never noticed that in the B-13. Do you suppose it is somehow a
product of the negative sweep?

Old June 22nd 05, 01:49 PM
Mitch

Whoa! I will be starting my PPl soon and doing something like that
would have made me have to clean my pants afterwards!

Just looking at the video, my initial (and un-trained) reaction would
be to lower the ailerons, and apply light rudder opposite of the spin.
Is this even close to being right or would the fire department be
scraping me off of the ground?

Old June 22nd 05, 02:02 PM
Ron Tock

Mitch wrote:
Whoa! I will be starting my PPl soon and doing something like that
would have made me have to clean my pants afterwards!

Just looking at the video, my initial (and un-trained) reaction would
be to lower the ailerons, and apply light rudder opposite of the spin.
Is this even close to being right or would the fire department be
scraping me off of the ground?

Ailerons neutral. Opposite rudder.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:24 PM
Guillermo

"Mitch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whoa! I will be starting my PPl soon and doing something like that
would have made me have to clean my pants afterwards!

Just looking at the video, my initial (and un-trained) reaction would
be to lower the ailerons, and apply light rudder opposite of the spin.
Is this even close to being right or would the fire department be
scraping me off of the ground?

Opposite rudder is good.
Opposite aileron would make it worse. Ailerons are to stay neutral

Old June 22nd 05, 03:42 PM
Stubby

john smith wrote:

Thanks for posting.
Looks like your friend forced the entry of each spin, though.
The nose shouldn't jump up above the horizon.

The recipe is "Hands off. Power off. Full opposite rudder." If you
are confused and/or inverted, push on the rudder pedal that offers the
more resistance.
Old June 22nd 05, 04:27 PM
Denny

The first spin was very noticeable that the pilot pulled the nose up
into an accellerated stall instead of holding the back pressure
constant... The second one was better... Looks like a fun time though,
made me want to jump up and go and do some akro.. Unfortunately, my
current mount, an Apache, is not allowed to do those things...

denny

Old June 22nd 05, 06:00 PM
john smith

Stubby wrote:
The recipe is "Hands off. Power off. Full opposite rudder." If you
are confused and/or inverted, push on the rudder pedal that offers the
more resistance.

Depends on the airplane.
Read the Mueller/Beggs articles. Only two or three airplanes have been
tested and reported.

Video or the DG1000 spin in Mal Soaring 5 September 12th 04 07:41 AM
Spin Training JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 February 16th 04 04:49 PM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM