Easy Way

Old May 16th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Easy Way

What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school? Can I home study for the FAA test, and then rent a plane for
the 40 hrs. needed?

Old May 16th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No, you can "home-study" for the knowledge tests, aka---book
learning. But you must have a certified flight instructor
for in-flight training and to supervise your solo training
flights. Airplanes are rented by the hour for student
pilots, under the supervision of a flight instructor.

You should consider the new Sport Pilot certificate which
was created recently to allow the fastest and least
expensive path to a pilot certificate [license]. See
http://www.sportpilot.org/ to get started.

You can find the FAA rules at
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...a_regulations/

Look for Part 61

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old May 16th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

nick wrote:
What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school? Can I home study for the FAA test, and then rent a plane for
the 40 hrs. needed?

I bought the King study course on diskette and VHS (many moons ago). I
scored 95 on the knowledge test. I think the course was a BIG help. I
had a hard time following the ground school instructors at the flight
school.

Monk

Old May 16th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Visit your local airport. Talk to the local pilots. Ask the local pilots
for flight instructor recommendations. Local will mean easiest and cheapest
because you will fly more frequently and learn faster. The home study that
you can do will be for the knowledge exams but you must also log ground
training with an instructor and get his endorsement before taking the
knowledge exam. This can be accomplished via several methods including
weekend ground school, home study, and individual instruction, in any case
you will have to demonstrate adequate knowledge that an instructor will give
you the endorsement to take the knowledge exam.

I would recommend that you also talk with a CFI about the medical
requirements prior to deciding a course of action. The FAA has created a
new pilot's certificate that does not require an airman's medical
certificate, you only have to meet the medical requirements that enable you
to hold a drivers license. This is the new Sport Pilot Certificate. If a
sport class aircraft is available to you, this may be the fastest and
cheapest way to a FAA pilot certificate. However, there are several
limitations to both the pilot and the aircraft that the pilot may fly. If a
sport category aircraft is not available to rent, beg, or borrow, and you
can not afford to buy one (sans cheapest route), the sport pilot certificate
would not be an option. Again, talk to a local CFI about your options.

For a Private Pilot certificate, you will need a medical certificate from an
FAA authorized medical examiner, a minimum of a Class 3 medical. IF you
have any questionable medical conditions or are taking any medications, I
suggest you investigate the conditions and the minimum medical requirements
with a CFI BEFORE making an appointment with an FAA medical examiner. The
sport pilot situation has created a catch 22 in that if you have ever been
denied an FAA medical certificate, you would no longer qualify for the sport
pilot certificate. So once again, consult a local CFI.

The "40 hours needed" is a misnomer, it is a minimum, it is not a practical
expectation nor should it be a personal goal. The average student pilot
typically takes around 65-70 hours to develop the skills, knowledge, and
judgment required to pass the private pilot practical exam. The time needed
can be lessened by planning, devotion, focus, frequency, dedication, and
surrounding yourself with those who support and encourage your venture.

Have the money required saved in advance. Have the time required reserved
in advance. Maintain a healthy lifestyle and get plenty of rest. When
things become overwhelming, know when to take a break. Give your mind a
chance to absorb what you are learning. Make it organized, keep it fun.

Jim
CP/CFII/MEI

ups.com...

Old May 16th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If the goal is just to get in the air the new Sport Pilot is tough to
beat, other than ultralights. If you plan to rent you might want to
check out the availablility of Light Sport aircraft ahead of time, as I
doubt (m)any FBO/flight schools have them. I guess it depends on what
your plans are - do you just want to putz around locally or actually go
somewhere?

Old May 16th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

nick wrote:
What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school?

Stick to Microsoft Flight Simulator. G

* 40 hrs airborne is a minimum number, the average is more like 65.

* Computer based ground schools can be helpful to pass the written, but
you'll still be better off with at least some live ground instruction.

If you're really hung up on expensive and easy, seek out some other
activities. Why? A pilot certificate is a BEGINNING, not an end. Once
you've got it, you'll either need to stay proficient or you'll kill
yourself and possibly others.

Flying is challenging and GREAT fun if you love it! If you see learning
how to fly and staying proficient as a chore or a drag...
Old May 16th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I'll only add that you
should look into flying clubs in your area. If you can find a club
which accepts student pilots (some do, some don't), you may be able to
save a good deal of money relative to a flight school or private
rentals.

Old May 16th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

nick wrote:
What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school? Can I home study for the FAA test, and then rent a plane for
the 40 hrs. needed?

It's not clear what you are after. Trying to take the easy, fast road
to your private pilot certificate won't help you with much. Sure, you
will then be able to carry passengers and won't have to have an
endorsement to fly solo, etc. Put you won't be able to make money
flying because you'll need more ratings which will cost more time, more
money, more practice, etc.
Old May 16th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"nick" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school? Can I home study for the FAA test, and then rent a plane for
the 40 hrs. needed?

Asking about the easy way sends off warning flags, if I were the one to
analyze your future success in taking up aviation.

There is nothing easy about it. It is a lot of hard work, and dedication.
It is also not cheap. It will take lots of money to get the certificate,
then lots to fly enough to be safe.

Easy also misses the mark, when considering what is most important in being
a pilot. Competence is the most important, and the best way to competence
is not the easy way. Not being fully competent will make your chances of
killing yourself and possibly others much greater.

Talk to pilots. Talk to instructors, and take an introductory lesson.
Asking about what is the best way to learn to fly, and not waste money would
be appropriate. Asking how to become the best pilot you can be, is
appropriate.

Further research, on your part, is what you need to do, now. This may not
be the best place to start. It is a great place to get answers, but right
now, I don't feel that you know what the best questions are.

Good luck. Stick to it, if you can.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 17th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"nick" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the easiest way for me to fly without commiting to an expensive
school? Can I home study for the FAA test, and then rent a plane for
the 40 hrs. needed?

Find the local soaring club. In some cases, the instuction is free - you
just pay the club rates for the aircraft and spend some time helping out
around the gliderport.

http://ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Easy Eddie Jim Burns Piloting 19 December 13th 05 09:40 PM
easy money in 30 days trip Piloting 0 March 11th 05 03:33 AM
Get Over $50,000 Fast and Easy, READ HOW [email protected] Owning 0 January 1st 05 04:41 PM