Chicken Cannon Lovers

Old January 20th 04, 11:57 AM
Andrew Chaplin

WaltBJ wrote:

Here's some bird and ice impacts for you.
One of my cadet classmates flying a Piper PA18 in primary at Hondo
Texas hit a hawk - it came right through the windshield, alive and
clawing. He wrung its neck and threw it into the rear. He still has a
scar on his cheek.
When I was at Homestead AFB 76-80 we had three buzzard strikes at Avon
Park Range. Two hit the airframe and one hit the left quarter panel of
the windshield. All strikes were when the F4s were doing 500K on low
level weapons deliveries. The airframe strikes penetrated the fuselage
skin around the intakes but no serious damage (other than a hole) was
done. The windshield strike filled the cockpit with buzzard pieces and
guts and disabled the front seater as most of the buzzard hit his
shoulder. The rear seater was a pilot and landed the F4 at Avon park
making an arrested engagement so the front seater could get immediate
medical attention. He was dazed and his shoulder was severely bruised
and he was half-nauseated from the buzzard guts but he recoverd
quickly. A maintenance crew came up and repaired the F4 and another
crew flew it back home.
I was with Air Florida when one of our DC9s lunched an engine. 'Blue
ice' from a leaking forward lavatory drain finally broke loose and the
airflow carried it up over the wing and right into the engine intake.
JT8Ds don't like large lumps of ice, regardless of color. BTW had
anyone else noted the tabloids don;t carry stories about 'blue ice'
from alien space any more?

Hawks are great flyers but not too bright (where have we heard that
description before?). We had a Swainson's hawk fly in front of our
troop position just as we opened in Fire for Effect. The unit medical
WO, our local hunter and wildlife nut, had it stuffed and mounted, and
it was on the wall of the Medical Inspection Room until he retired.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 20th 04, 02:06 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message

snip

Hawks are great flyers but not too bright (where have we heard that
description before?). We had a Swainson's hawk fly in front of our
troop position just as we opened in Fire for Effect. The unit medical
WO, our local hunter and wildlife nut, had it stuffed and mounted, and
it was on the wall of the Medical Inspection Room until he retired.

Probably lucky he does not reside south of our mutual border. A lot of the
birds of prey are protected here. And, as is apt to happen when lawyers and
bureaucrats get together, the intent of the protective laws has been twisted
beyond reason. Find an owl from the list that has been killed by a car and
want to preserve it? You may find yourself facing federal charges. Maybe you
are a fly fisherman who likes to tie his own flies and you collect a few
feathers from the carcass of a hawk or owl? Ditto. You actually need a
*permit* to hold feathers lost by the bird you may have picked up in the
woods (there was a court case involving just that here in Virginia--in the
end the defendent was able to show he was "descended from the Iroquois" (and
thus his possession was covered by a claim of religious freedom) and won at
the federal appelate level. Ridiculous that he had to go to that level, much
less that he had to resort to his ethnic ancestry...

Brooks

Old January 20th 04, 02:23 PM
Duke of URL

In t,
Kevin Brooks radiated into the WorldWideWait:
[...]

Don't forget the imbecility that only "certified" Indigenous American
Aborigines may legally have eagle feathers in their possession.

Old January 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Peter Skelton

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:06:16 GMT, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

[...]

We have conditional and absolute discharge, ie. the court saying
don't do it again, and don't bug us with this trivia respectively
to deal with this sort of sillyness. Isn't there something
similar in the states? Life can get a bit unpleasant for a judge
who lets things get tied up with too much effort for too little
crime.

It's not perfect but it helps

Peter Skelton
Old January 20th 04, 03:27 PM
Bill Kambic

"Peter Skelton" wrote in message

We have conditional and absolute discharge, ie. the court saying
don't do it again, and don't bug us with this trivia respectively
to deal with this sort of sillyness. Isn't there something
similar in the states?

No, Sir.

Life can get a bit unpleasant for a judge
who lets things get tied up with too much effort for too little
crime.

Our Federal judges serve for life or good behavior (U.S. Constitution, Art.
III, Sec. 1).

Not much can happen to such an official who does get "tied down" in trivia.

It's not perfect but it helps

Perhaps. On the other hand it does keep the heavy hand of any given
administration from bringing direct pressure on judges for some specific
outcome.

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

Old January 20th 04, 03:50 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Kambic" wrote in message
"Peter Skelton" wrote in message

We have conditional and absolute discharge, ie. the court saying
don't do it again, and don't bug us with this trivia respectively
to deal with this sort of sillyness. Isn't there something
similar in the states?

No, Sir.

Life can get a bit unpleasant for a judge
who lets things get tied up with too much effort for too little
crime.

Our Federal judges serve for life or good behavior (U.S. Constitution,

Art.
III, Sec. 1).

So are Canadian judges

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub/trib/page4.html

Not much can happen to such an official who does get "tied down" in

trivia.

Except that he becomes unable to spend time on important matters.

It's not perfect but it helps

Perhaps. On the other hand it does keep the heavy hand of any given
administration from bringing direct pressure on judges for some specific
outcome.

Bill Kambic

How does spending time on trivial cases do that exactly ?

The point Peter makes is valid. There have been similar cases
in the UK where a trial judge found for the prosecution on
the point of law but gave the defendant an absolute discharge
and made the prosecution pay his costs after lecturing the
prosecuting counsel about bringing such trivial matters before
the court. This ****ed off the Crown Prosecution Service to be sure
but was hardly evidence of the subservience of judges, quite
the reverse in fact.

Keith

Old January 20th 04, 03:52 PM
Peter Skelton

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:27:56 -0500, "Bill Kambic"
wrote:

"Peter Skelton" wrote in message

We have conditional and absolute discharge, ie. the court saying
don't do it again, and don't bug us with this trivia respectively
to deal with this sort of sillyness. Isn't there something
similar in the states?

No, Sir.

Life can get a bit unpleasant for a judge
who lets things get tied up with too much effort for too little
crime.

Our Federal judges serve for life or good behavior (U.S. Constitution, Art.
III, Sec. 1).

Not much can happen to such an official who does get "tied down" in trivia.

It's not perfect but it helps

Perhaps. On the other hand it does keep the heavy hand of any given
administration from bringing direct pressure on judges for some specific
outcome.

Judges here are not subject to job pressure from politicians, but
there is a certain amount of peer review, and their decisions
are, of course, public knowledge. How do you react to a coworker
who's anal slowness keeps you from your family or who's nasty
behaviour makes customers yell at you?

Peter Skelton
Old January 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Duke of URL" macbenahATkdsiDOTnet wrote in message
[...]

Nor the USF&WS prohibition against said "indigenous" peoples even giving
gifts that include such feathers to non-Indians (to use the polically
incorrect term), which IMHO is just further stupidity heeped upon that
imbecility you note. ISTR Readers Digest did a story quite a few years back
that pointed out the idiocy behind many of these "illegal feather"
cases--one that stuck in my mind was some woman who had made one of those
"dream catcher" thingies and sent or gave it to then First Lady Hillary
Clinton (and no, this is not an anti-Clinton diatribe, as I have no idea she
had any direct involvment whatsover with this case), and subsequently found
herself being confronted by a Fish and Wildlife Service investigator and
charged with illegal possession and istribution of prhibited feathers. IIRC
another poor fellow found a dead owl and stuck it in his freezer (can't
recall for what purpose...), and after being reported to same said service
also faced charges. I would not have recalled these incidents were it not
for the fact that my late brother was then into the fly-tying bit, and was
in the habit of stopping and collecting hair and feathers from dead critters
he saw on the side of the road, and I remember relaying the article's info
to him.

Brooks

Old January 20th 04, 04:13 PM
Kevin Brooks

wrote:

[...]

No, because that would deny the legal beagles another source of perpetual
income--if we ruled out frivolous criminal charges and (worse yet) frivolous
lawsuits, half of the esteemed bar would perish due to lack of business. No
to mention the enforcement branch bureaucrats out scratching for violations
of these stupid laws--not a lot of need for the skills of your average
"possum cop" in the private sector. Of course, we could carry out
significant legal reforms...if the lawyers were not so entrenched in our
political process. So the vicious cycle continues.

Brooks

It's not perfect but it helps

Peter Skelton

Old January 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Peter Skelton

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:13:52 GMT, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

And the downside is?

(should be a smiley up ther, I suppose)

Peter Skelton

chicken thief Del Rawlins Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 03:20 AM
Britain Reveals Secret Weapon - Chicken Powered Nuclear Bomb ! Ian Military Aviation 0 April 2nd 04 03:18 PM
WWII 20mm cannon in planes zxcv Military Aviation 13 March 10th 04 10:52 AM
Future military fighters and guns - yes or no ? championsleeper Military Aviation 77 March 3rd 04 04:11 AM
Development of British cannon ammuniation during WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 14 December 29th 03 09:25 AM