help on ad9830 programing

Old December 11th 03, 07:14 PM

Default help on ad9830 programing

hi
i have read ad9830 dds ic datasheet, but i have steel problem how i
should program it, for example i want to use pararel port for
interfacing , and for example want 3.1MHZ on out put, how i should
use D0 to D15 and A0,A1,A2? should i use both freq reg ( 0,1) and
all 4 phase reg ? or one is enouth?
any help would be most appreciated
thanks
payam
Old December 11th 03, 09:05 PM
Ben Sego

hi
i have read ad9830 dds ic datasheet, but i have steel problem how i
should program it, for example i want to use pararel port for
interfacing , and for example want 3.1MHZ on out put, how i should
use D0 to D15 and A0,A1,A2? should i use both freq reg ( 0,1) and
all 4 phase reg ? or one is enouth?
any help would be most appreciated
thanks
payam

I'm thinking you should go with composite construction. Sure, some
people are allergic to the epoxy, but if you take proper precautions,
all but the worst allergies are manageable.

Now, as to the powerplant, that's where you'll find the most vigorous
debate. You could go with an ages-old, solid, dependable certificated
aircraft engine. (These are also known as "lycosaurs," so in your
research, don't let that term throw you.) You could, on the other hand,
go with an auto conversion. Such an approach has many adherents, and
not a few detractors. As I said, this debate can be vigorous, not to
say acrimonious.

Myself in your shoes, I'd say the choice was easy: Turbine power, baby!
You've already cut yourself apart from the pack, so I say go all the
way.

As you strike out on this project, I think you might find it instructive
to review Robert X. Cringley's excellent documentary "Plane Crazy."
This should, I think, be required viewing for anyone about to undertake
a project such as yours. And no, in case you're curious, I don't get
royalties on additional copies sold. But when you go buy yours, tell
him I sent you.

Hope this helps.

Ben "doe snot" Sego

Old December 12th 03, 04:05 AM
sean trost

Classic.

Old December 12th 03, 11:54 AM
RR Urban

As you strike out on this project, I think you might find it instructive
to review Robert X. Cringley's excellent documentary "Plane Crazy."
This should, I think, be required viewing for anyone about to undertake
a project such as yours. And no, in case you're curious, I don't get
royalties on additional copies sold. But when you go buy yours, tell
him I sent you.

Ben "doe snot" Sego

Last I knew...

Robert Cringley was a self promoting huckster and flake.
Zoom would probably give him three thumbs up...
if Robert was a paying advertiser in AeroSnooze.

Barnyard BOb - doe snot?

Old December 12th 03, 12:53 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ben Sego" wrote in message

As you strike out on this project, I think you might find it instructive
to review Robert X. Cringley's excellent documentary "Plane Crazy."
This should, I think, be required viewing for anyone about to undertake
a project such as yours

What? As an example of what not to do? Cringley is an idiot and that
show
gives legitimate homebuilding a black eye. Not only does he woefully fail,
he comes very close to killing himself in the last episode.

Old December 12th 03, 05:45 PM
Jay

This post is off topic but I'll answer it anyway.

Since you only get 8-12 outputs on that port, you aren't going to be
able to drive your DDS without some interface logic. Consider using a
shift register, either bit, or nibble wide, to prepare your inputs
before strobing the data into chip. You can ignore the phase
registers, I've never had a use for them. You need both freq
registers to set the phase progression with the full resolution of the
part.

Keep in mind you're also probably going to need an anti-alias filter
on the output to get rid of all those harmonics depending on your
application of course. Mini-Circuits has some canned solutions that
will save you a lot of time as far as the filter is concered.

Please post your electronics related questions to an electronics
group.

Regards

Old December 12th 03, 06:06 PM
Ben Sego

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Ben Sego" wrote in message

As you strike out on this project, I think you might find it instructive
to review Robert X. Cringley's excellent documentary "Plane Crazy."
This should, I think, be required viewing for anyone about to undertake
a project such as yours

What? As an example of what not to do?

Uh, well, yeah. This is definitely one of the best videos I have ever
watched about hubris and project mismanagement.

Cringley is an idiot and that
show
gives legitimate homebuilding a black eye.

You left off "pompous" and "arrogant" and "doesn't play well with others."

Not only does he woefully fail,
he comes very close to killing himself in the last episode.

And he makes fun of some hardworking people who help him along the way.
And he belittles his long suffering girlfriend.

But that wasn't my point.

Ben "watching with wonder" Sego

Old December 12th 03, 06:21 PM
Ben Sego

RR Urban wrote:

As you strike out on this project, I think you might find it instructive
to review Robert X. Cringley's excellent documentary "Plane Crazy."
This should, I think, be required viewing for anyone about to undertake
a project such as yours. And no, in case you're curious, I don't get
royalties on additional copies sold. But when you go buy yours, tell
him I sent you.

Ben "doe snot" Sego

Last I knew...

Robert Cringley was a self promoting huckster and flake.

Actually, I rather like his "I, Cringley" column. That he was a flake
in his plane building adventure, is, I think, without dispute. Can't
argue with "self promoting" either; you're dead on there. I don't,
though, think he's a huckster.

Zoom would probably give him three thumbs up...
if Robert was a paying advertiser in AeroSnooze.

Yeah, that seems to be the magic to achieving an endorsement, doesn't
it. But let me say this: Cringley is a much, much better journalist
than other unmentionables shall ever be. He opens his columns up for
debate, he offers corrections, and freely admits it when the readers
call him a boob. That doesn't make him great, and it doesn't guarantee
he's honest, but it greatly increases the likelihood. And it's not the
sort of behaviour you're likely to see out of his eminence anytime soon.

Barnyard BOb - doe snot?

Have a look he

http://www.google.com/groups?q=doe+s...x.com& rnum=2

or this equivalent link:

http://tinyurl.com/yypr

Old December 12th 03, 06:29 PM
Ben Sego

Ben Sego wrote:
RR Urban wrote:

Ben "doe snot" Sego

Barnyard BOb - doe snot?

Have a look he

http://www.google.com/groups?q=doe+s...x.com& rnum=2

or this equivalent link:

http://tinyurl.com/yypr

better link:

http://www.google.com/groups?q=doe+s...amu.edu&rnum=9

or this equivalent

http://tinyurl.com/yyse

Though, admitadly, what I did was more the inverse of that described above.

B.S.

Old December 12th 03, 09:19 PM
RR Urban

Last I knew...

Robert Cringley was a self promoting huckster and flake.

Actually, I rather like his "I, Cringley" column. That he was a flake
in his plane building adventure, is, I think, without dispute. Can't
argue with "self promoting" either; you're dead on there. I don't,
though, think he's a huckster.

huck·stered, huck·ster·ing, huck·sters

1. To sell; peddle.
2. To promote or attempt to sell (a commercial product, for
example) in an overaggressive or showy manner.

Zoom would probably give him three thumbs up...
if Robert was a paying advertiser in AeroSnooze.

Yeah, that seems to be the magic to achieving an endorsement, doesn't
it. But let me say this: Cringley is a much, much better journalist
than other unmentionables shall ever be. He opens his columns up for
debate, he offers corrections, and freely admits it when the readers
call him a boob. That doesn't make him great, and it doesn't guarantee
he's honest, but it greatly increases the likelihood. And it's not the
sort of behaviour you're likely to see out of his eminence anytime soon.

I've wondered who's Cringley's core audience was.
Now I know. g

Barnyard BOb - doe snot?

Have a look he

http://www.google.com/groups?q=doe+s...x.com& rnum=2