iPhone or iPad VFR GPS

Old December 23rd 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
A L

Default iPhone or iPad VFR GPS

I am hesitating between buying the iPhone 4 and the iPad (or else?) to
use as a VFR GPS. One of the attractive feature of the iPad is the
larger screen but it is also one of the drawback... Apparently the
iPhone has an internal Gyroscope which the iPad does not have (might be
added on the iPad 2..) but the iPad has apparently better GPS reception.

I will use this primarily for web browsing, in-flight GPS and reading
plates. I would not use this for phone, mp3, etc,.

what is the best purchase?? thanks.
Old December 23rd 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ari Silverstein

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:36:04 -0500, A L wrote:

I am hesitating between buying the iPhone 4 and the iPad (or else?) to
use as a VFR GPS. One of the attractive feature of the iPad is the
larger screen but it is also one of the drawback... Apparently the
iPhone has an internal Gyroscope which the iPad does not have (might be
added on the iPad 2..) but the iPad has apparently better GPS reception.

I will use this primarily for web browsing,

Need more info here? Anonymous? Private?

in-flight GPS

Can you see the GPS on a Iphone?

and reading
plates. I would not use this for phone, mp3, etc,.

What is most important? GPS?
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj
Old December 23rd 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article , A L
wrote:

I am hesitating between buying the iPhone 4 and the iPad (or else?) to
use as a VFR GPS. One of the attractive feature of the iPad is the
larger screen but it is also one of the drawback... Apparently the
iPhone has an internal Gyroscope which the iPad does not have (might be
added on the iPad 2..) but the iPad has apparently better GPS reception.

I will use this primarily for web browsing, in-flight GPS and reading
plates. I would not use this for phone, mp3, etc,.

what is the best purchase?? thanks.

My general thought is that if the iPad will fit comfortably in your
cockpit then you should go for that choice. (It certainly would not fit
in mine, but I understand these things come in different sizes.)

I would not worry about GPS reception. You'll get excellent reception at
altitude with even a poor receiver. Modern receivers are so good that
the difference between good and bad is whether accuracy is measured in
tens of feet or twenties of feet, performance indoors, in urban canyons,
etc.

Pros for the iPad:

- Much larger screen will be significantly easier to read, especially in
bright sunlight which will hurt contrast a great deal.

- Considerably better battery life.

- Vastly superior for web browsing etc.

- Data plan is cheaper and completely optional. You can pay $25/month
for 2GB of data, $15/month for 100MB of data, or $0/month for no
cellular data at all. There is no contract. (iPhone will run you around
$75/month at minimum, for at least two years, even if you never use it
to make calls.)

Pros for the iPhone:

- Much smaller, thus potentially more convenient to manipulate in the
cockpit, carry around, etc.

- Internal gyro means you could conceivably use it as a backup HSI,
although I would be *extremely* hesitant to trust it for such a critical
application.

Note that if you do decide to go for the iPad option, be sure that you
get the 3G version even if you aren't interested in cellular data. The
WiFi version does not have GPS.

If you aren't in a hurry, you might wait a few months, as it is widely
expected that iPad 2 will be available this spring.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old January 17th 11, 12:56 PM
Elvise Elvise is offline
Junior Member

yeah.. this information is very useful for me as concern to purchasing iPhone or iPad... because i really dont what are the features and what are its draw backs

Last edited by Elvise : January 22nd 11 at 11:53 AM.

EFB - Kindle/iPad VOR-DME[_4_] Instrument Flight Rules 6 June 6th 11 01:37 AM
iPad + Foreflight Review Dane Spearing[_3_] Instrument Flight Rules 2 April 21st 11 05:17 AM
iPhone or iPad VFR GPS A L Piloting 2 December 23rd 10 04:49 AM
VFR Flight with more Ipad and Foreflight experiences - Video [email protected] Piloting 0 July 25th 10 05:21 PM
Olc flight posting from ipad Robert Fidler[_2_] Soaring 5 May 4th 10 07:12 PM