ATC Tape

Old April 14th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default ATC Tape

Good Morning,

perhaps somebody can help my here.

I´m looking for the ATC sound-file of the 1982 British Airways All
Engine Flame Out Incident . Especially the Mayday call.

I could use that very good for a small, non commercial presentation in
my classroom.

So far, google did nit help me.

perhaps anybody in this group can help me better.

Greetings from Europe

Steffen

----------
Antworten/ Reply: SteffenBraasch(at)gmx.de
Old April 14th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

(Steffen Braasch) wrote:

Good Morning,

perhaps somebody can help my here.

I´m looking for the ATC sound-file of the 1982 British Airways All
Engine Flame Out Incident . Especially the Mayday call.

I could use that very good for a small, non commercial presentation in
my classroom.

So far, google did nit help me.

perhaps anybody in this group can help me better.

Greetings from Europe

Steffen

Y'know, I get a kick out of this statement...although I've flown
in the busuness end of aircraft for 25-26 years while logging
13,000 hours of flying time, I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!, not
once...everyone ALWAYS says (in a deep calm voice) "We're
declaring an emergency and returning to...."). Even the Alaska
Air aircraft which had the elevator trim stripped screwjack
problem which I just heard recently says calmly to ATC
"Ah...we're in a vertical dive here...ah...we'll give you a call
when we get it under control" (or words to that effect), calm...I
know Mayday is used in civil marine use (I even heard a real ship
SOS in Morse Code and followed the whole rescue operation between
a freighter and a US Coast Guard Station). Very interesting
indeed...

I know what the proper call is (I hold a commercial radio
operators license) but my point is that it isn't used from
aircraft (that I've ever heard)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old April 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Hi Gord

Gord Beaman wrote:
know Mayday is used in civil marine use (I even heard a real ship
SOS in Morse Code and followed the whole rescue operation between
a freighter and a US Coast Guard Station). Very interesting
indeed...

I know what the proper call is (I hold a commercial radio
operators license) but my point is that it isn't used from
aircraft (that I've ever heard)

luckily, I´ve never had the chance to "declare an emergency" or even say
Mayday on radio.

I´ve flow all over the world, and, in Northern America and most of
Europe I also would probably declare an emergency iso "Mayday".

However, in some third part countries I certainly would use the word
Mayday. It brings you right to the point and everybody, even in the
deepest jungle, will understand this word (well, it will you do any help
there either).

In this particular case I´m looking for it surprised me, how the Brits
stayed so calm in this particular situation.

But, were I can find it?

Greetings
Steffen
----------
Antworten/ Reply: SteffenBraasch(at)gmx.de
Old April 14th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Y'know, I get a kick out of this statement...although I've flown
in the busuness end of aircraft for 25-26 years while logging
13,000 hours of flying time, I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!

Well, you can't hear everything! :-)

I've declared mayday twice, got all the help I needed.
I'm here to say it works, and I will use it again, at need.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old April 15th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Stubby wrote:

wrote:
Y'know, I get a kick out of this statement...although I've flown
in the busuness end of aircraft for 25-26 years while logging
13,000 hours of flying time, I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!

Well, you can't hear everything! :-)

I've declared mayday twice, got all the help I needed.
I'm here to say it works, and I will use it again, at need.

It is troublesome when otherwise intelligent persons say, "It never
happened to me, so it can't happen to anyone anywhere in the world."
That's just bad logic. I wonder what all the experience has taught him.

C'mon guys...where did I say that it never happens?...huh?...I
said that in all that time I had never heard it while at the same
time I'll add that I've likely heard at least 15 or 20 "We're
declaring an emergency and requesting immediate clearance to...".

Now, I'm only one guy of course, and that's been MY experience.
It's quite possible that someone out there has heard more
'maydays' than otherwise but I'd be surprised...

I've just found that experienced aircrews are somewhat pragmatic
and tend to avoid the melodramatic...I think most people who have
extensive experience in these fields will agree...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old April 17th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
news
Y'know, I get a kick out of this statement...although I've flown
in the busuness end of aircraft for 25-26 years while logging
13,000 hours of flying time, I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!

When I did the practical RT exam for my PPL, the examiner (and the head
controller at a smallish international airport) gave me a useful morsel of
advice afterwards (and after awarding me a "pass", I'm glad to say). He
pointed out that if you have declared an emergency, it is useful to prefix
your subsequent calls with the word "Mayday". This means that (a) the
controller can pick you out with the greatest of ease among other broadcasts
(you may be on a frequency other than 121.5, after all, so there may well be
others broadcasting); and (b) other pilots know there's someone with an
urgent problem and can keep their traps shut unless it's important. Same
with "Pan" calls.

David C

Old April 17th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"David Cartwright" wrote:

[...]

Probably a good idea (seems to me it's the required procedure for
Morse IIRC)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old April 30th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:39:31 GMT, Gord Beaman
wrote:

(Steffen Braasch) wrote:

[...]

I've heard a Pan or a Mayday, forget which. A light aircraft lost
a prop blade, Descended to land in a field UNDER power lines. The
family hopped out. We hung overhead to steer a local tower
led recovery.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Old April 30th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

wrote:

(Steffen Braasch) wrote:

[...]

Ok, fine, but how would you rate the number of occurrences of
that to the occurrences of "Ah...Boston Centre...SouthWest flt
908 heavy...ah...we've had an engine fire here, seems to be under
control...we'd like to declare an emergency and divert to..."
(?). Calm, businesslike...

I don't say that it's not 'proper' (it indeed is proper, correct
whatever) BUT it's just not done much.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

60 Year Old Duct Tape Jay Honeck Piloting 11 January 15th 06 06:52 PM
Gap Tape TJ Soaring 0 October 22nd 05 04:18 AM
Teflon gap seal tape... Marc Ramsey Soaring 10 April 3rd 05 04:35 PM
TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B Ventus B Soaring 5 February 18th 04 08:27 PM
Premium 3M (483) Poly Tape Soaring 1 November 27th 03 05:41 AM