Instrument Checkride on May 17th

Old May 7th 04, 02:53 AM
Roy Smith

Judah wrote:
Bring the freakin' book

Good advice.

even if it is your 2000 edition from your private.

Bad advice. It's bad form to show up for a checkride with anything
which is outdated. Using last year's AIM is unlikely to ever cause you
any real harm, but why risk disaster if currency of publications is
something your examiner happens to have a bug up his butt about?

It doesn't really matter if he's right or wrong, getting into an
argument with the examiner on a checkride is rarely useful.
Old May 7th 04, 04:38 AM
Richard Hertz

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BCBF15CA.E112%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com...
On 5/5/04 9:13 PM, in article gjgmc.12049$k24.2313@fed1read01, "BTIZ"
wrote:

a 100 on the written???

well.. the examiner knows no body is perfect.. so he's going try to find

out
what you don't know.. don't worry.. they always find something.. and it
should be no big deal... just don't dig a hole and try to bluff your way

out
of something..

study up, take your reference library with you.. and you'll do fine..

BT

I don't understand taking a reference library with you to a checkride.

I'll
be scheduling my IFR ride this month if I wasn't so busy. But when it does
happen (in June), I'll only be taking the essentials and what's been

planted
in my brain up to that time. No FAR/AIM or anything of that sort. It

wasn't
needed during my private oral and I don't see the sense in the DE digging

the point that you have to feel like you need to drag along an

encyclopedia.

You didn't take the AIM or FARs with you? Yikes - The DEs I know would not
have let that go. So when you don't know something you just shrug your
shoulders and have no way of saying "I can look it up?"

If you scored 100, there should be no question that you studied and are

able
to pass the oral easily. A few questions on each topic should be

sufficient
without the DE trying to find something, for God's sake, anything! just to
show you that you don't know it all.

That is horse doodie. Getting a 100 on the knowledge tests is not that hard
and you can do it and still know very little about instrument flying.

--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old May 7th 04, 04:41 AM
Richard Hertz

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BCC0447A.E18F%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com...
On 5/5/04 10:11 PM, in article z9hmc.12056$k24.7196@fed1read01, "BTIZ"
wrote:

well... lets see... you must take your oral's differently than we do,
FAR/AIM, POH, Aircraft Logs, Weather charts, and weather reference

material.

More than one DE has always asked the stumper question... just to see if

you
know how to look something up.

BT

Probably a good deal of it is that my flight school has a very good idea

of
what the DE wants to see and what info he's likely to ask. 90% of my

private
oral seemed to come from the ASA prep book and the rest were questions

that
my instructor and I had prepped for.

So your flight school just schedules with someone they know will pass just
about anyone they send his/her way. That is nice to know. I'll make sure
to stay away from your airspace.

I fail to see the reasoning behind demonstrating my FAR/AIM research

skills,
as it pertains to my ability to fly safely. I see that it is recommended

bring the book to the ride, but since I've had no need to crack open the
thing in my last 4 years of flying, I don't see the point. I think a DE
should test the real world, not abstract FAA mumbo jumbo.

Um, that is a scary attitude. So how do you learn? You just let other
people tell you the regulations? You never look them up yourself? This is
quite enlightening.

Old May 7th 04, 06:47 AM
BTIZ

it's the abstract that sometimes will get you into trouble... when you are
cited for a violation.. even though your practical flying was perfect..

BT

Old May 7th 04, 07:21 PM
David B. Cole

Thanks for the feedback guys, but after a crappy day of flying today I
think I'm going to postpone. We went up yesterday to do steep turns
and partial panel unusual attitudes, which weren't bad. Today the
plan was to fly to Sussex (FWN) and Lincoln Park (N07) for GPS
approaches. But for some reason on the final approach course into
Sussex, I couldn't hold the CDI on the GPS because I never found a
good reference heading and I just watched it go side to side,
something which is unusual for me. I also botched all of my calls
over the CTAF. My instructor asked what the problem was and whether I
was scanning the CDI, at which point I said let's go back. I took off
the foogles and flew back visually, landed, and packed it in. On the
ground he asked what was wrong and I told him I was going to cancel
the checkride. He couldn't understand what went wrong as my flying
has been very consistent and good lately. Maybe it was the idea of
taking the checkride and possibly failing that has me distracted.
Maybe it's the idea of getting out there with the rating and flying by
myself. Oh well, I would probably stop altogether if I didn't care
about spending all the money with nothing to show.

Dave

(David B. Cole) wrote in message om...
On Saturday my instructor and I flew to Stewart International in
Newburg, NY for a few approaches. The plan was to fly out and do the
VOR -27 partial panel a couple of times, followed by an ILS. After
that we planned to fly to 4N1, Greenwood Lake, before returning to
CDW. Partial panel holding had been my one sticking point. We flew the
entire trip from CDW to the Kingston VOR, about 40 miles, partial
panel. After reaching Kingston I entered the procedure turn and flew
the approach. After reaching the MAP and flying the missed, my
instructor informed the controller that we would be flying to 4N1
instead of shooting any additional approaches.

His comment to me was that I couldn't have done a better job and
although I was exhausted, I was pleased. We flew to Greenwood Lake for
a VOR approach there before heading back to CDW for a LOC approach to
Rwy 22. Once we were back on the ground my instructor informed me that
he wanted me to call the examiner and schedule the checkride, which I
scheduled for May 17. Now I have to prepare for the oral, which I'm
not really worried about since I think I have a good grasp on this
stuff. Hopefully the 100 on the written will help. Now I just have to
make sure I don't make too many mistakes on the practical so that I
don't have to do it twice. Thanks everyone for all the support.

Cecil: I'll be thinking about you as I prepare.

Dave

Old May 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(David B. Cole) wrote:

[...]

David,

Don't get too worked up over this. Sometimes you just have a crappy
day. It happens to everyone. Maybe all you need to do now is take a
few days off (just enough to give your brain a rest but not so long that
your skills start to erode), then get back in the saddle.
Old May 7th 04, 07:45 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
David B. Cole wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, but after a crappy day of flying today I
think I'm going to postpone.

Heh, after the first post about a great day of flying I was going to say
how that happened to me and then because of the time left before the
checkride we flew again and I flew horribly. Real confidence builder. ;-)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 7th 04, 07:56 PM
David Megginson

David B. Cole wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, but after a crappy day of flying today I
think I'm going to postpone.

Give yourself another chance before you postpone.

Some people in these newsgroups might claim that their flying is perfect and
always has been, but many of the rest of us have gone through exactly the
same thing that you just went through: it happened to me the day before my
first solo, again during my first flubbed pre-PPL practice flight test, and
again during my first flubbed pre-IFR practice flight test, in every case
because of nerves and shaken confidence.

You're probably about to make a similar breakthrough -- in one or two
flights your confidence will come back, everything will seem easier than it
ever was before, and you'll be happy that you didn't postpone or give up.
I'm sure that your instructor has seen this pattern before.

All the best,

David

Old May 8th 04, 07:53 AM
Judah

Roy Smith wrote in
:

Judah wrote:
Bring the freakin' book

Good advice.

even if it is your 2000 edition from your private.

Bad advice. It's bad form to show up for a checkride with anything
which is outdated. Using last year's AIM is unlikely to ever cause you
any real harm, but why risk disaster if currency of publications is
something your examiner happens to have a bug up his butt about?

It doesn't really matter if he's right or wrong, getting into an
argument with the examiner on a checkride is rarely useful.

Hi Roy!

That's a valid point...

I guess my thought was the guy was already claiming that he would never
have a reason to open the book in real life, so the thought that he would
consider buying an updated version seemed unlikely...

Old May 8th 04, 02:11 PM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/8/04 2:53 AM, in article ,
"Judah" wrote:

I guess my thought was the guy was already claiming that he would never
have a reason to open the book in real life, so the thought that he would
consider buying an updated version seemed unlikely...

One of the reasons I dislike getting into long discussions on Usenet is that
any position quickly becomes mischaracterized, misquoted or grossly
distorted, because people are unable or unwilling to *read* what was
actually written.
It's extremely odd to me that pilots can be so anal retentive in so many
aspects, yet when it comes to reading comprehension in newsgroups, they fail
so miserably.

Judah, please reread my post that you "quoted" from. Pay particular
attention to the tense that I used and compare it to the tense that you
place my statements in.

That said, I will take the advice given here and take a current FAR/AIM to
my checkride when it is scheduled.