IFR trip from Madison MS to Steubenville OH with ATC COMS - Video

Old April 27th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR trip from Madison MS to Steubenville OH with ATC COMS - Video

My Thursday flight up to Ohio.

6 hours flight time compressed into two 8 minute videos.

First video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsb7wiCYsPY

is the leg from Madison MS KMBO to Bowling Green MS Flew through
some rain showers on this leg.

Second video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYu9OJLmU4

is the leg from Bowling Green MS to Steubenville, OH. Other then an
"expected reroute" around a MOA, this trip was as uneventful as it
gets. Severe clear as it gets for this distance on this leg.

"Skinny runway" at 2G2 :-)))
Old April 27th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
nate_fl

On Apr 26, 8:41*pm, " wrote:
My Thursday flight up to Ohio.

6 hours flight time compressed into two 8 minute videos.

First videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsb7wiCYsPY

is the leg from Madison MS KMBO to Bowling Green MS * Flew through
some rain showers on this leg.

Second videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYu9OJLmU4

is the leg from Bowling Green MS to Steubenville, OH. *Other then an
"expected reroute" around a MOA, this trip was as uneventful as it
gets. *Severe clear as it gets for this distance on this leg.

"Skinny runway" at 2G2 :-)))

Always enjoy your vids, very informative for a wannabe IFR pilot.
Old April 28th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Apr 27, 5:54*pm, nate_fl wrote:

Always enjoy your vids, very informative for a wannabe IFR pilot.

Thanks Nate! My return trip will be forthcoming.

Let me guess, cost is a factor in you being a "wannabee"?

Old April 28th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
nate_fl

On Apr 27, 8:13*pm, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:54*pm, nate_fl wrote:

Always enjoy your vids, very informative for a wannabe IFR pilot.

Thanks Nate! *My return trip will be forthcoming.

Let me guess, cost is a factor in you being a "wannabee"?

Cost, and time. I'm PP-ASEL and sailplane. I'm also a PhD student in
addition to having a full time job. If I weren't in school I could
swing it, but as is I will just have to peck away at it. I get a
little hood time here and there.
Old April 28th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Apr 27, 5:54*pm, nate_fl wrote:

Always enjoy your vids, very informative for a wannabe IFR pilot.

Thanks Nate! *My return trip will be forthcoming.

Let me guess, cost is a factor in you being a "wannabee"?

Cost, and time. I'm PP-ASEL and sailplane. I'm also a PhD student in
addition to having a full time job. If I weren't in school I could
swing it, but as is I will just have to peck away at it. I get a
little hood time here and there.

Yes, should have mentioned time :-) Painfully slow training at least
for me.

Do you have any videos of your sailplane experiences? You don't see
to many of those from the inside.
Old April 28th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
nate_fl

On Apr 27, 5:54*pm, nate_fl wrote:

Always enjoy your vids, very informative for a wannabe IFR pilot.

Thanks Nate! *My return trip will be forthcoming.

Let me guess, cost is a factor in you being a "wannabee"?

Cost, and time. I'm PP-ASEL and sailplane. I'm also a PhD student in
addition to having a full time job. If I weren't in school I could
swing it, but as is I will just have to peck away at it. I get a
little hood time here and there.

Yes, should have mentioned time :-) *Painfully slow training at least
for me.

Do you have any videos of your sailplane experiences? *You don't see
to many of those from the inside.

For the last two years I have done ride-alongs with some of the
resident experts during a sailplane competition. I will try to post
one of those to you. Otherwise, no. Soaring effectively is a thinking
man's game, and I don't have the spare capacity to shoot video AND
stay in lift.
Old April 28th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

" wrote:

My Thursday flight up to Ohio.

Allen,

Your videos are always interesting and well done. I'm really impressed with the ease of use of the IFR
system in your part of the country. Out here in Arizona, it's much more difficult to get IFR practice due to
the numerous restricted areas and high MEA's.

I have one very minor nit-pick on your first video. This turned out to be completely inconsequential, but I
thought I would mention it anyway. Shortly after departure (1:55 into the video) ATC asked you your on
course heading and then cleared you to resume own nav to Bowling Green. Your read back was "cleared
direct to Bowling Green". "Resume own nav" and "cleared direct" are two different things. I looked on
Flightaware and it looks like your filed flight plan was direct, so maybe there's no difference. But I
suppose theoretically at least, that present position direct from the point where you were told "resume
own nav" could have been a slightly different course than the direct path between your departure and
destination. Did you do a present position Direct-to, or just intercept the original flight plan?

Again, thanks for posting these videos. There's been so little interesting discussion on these newsgroups
lately, that it's good to see them actually being used as intended!

Mike
Old April 28th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Apr 28, 12:04*pm, Mike Adams wrote:

Your read back was "cleared
direct to Bowling Green". *"Resume own nav" and "cleared direct" are two different things. I looked on
Flightaware and it looks like your filed flight plan was direct, so maybe there's no difference.

Mike, you are absolutely right. I didn't realize that I said this
until you pointed this out. I appreciate this kind of feedback! Yes,
you are sooo right, easy of the system here is simple compared to many
parts of the country! I call it the land of direct.

Listening to the audio you bring up, approach said resume own
navigation, direct Bowling Green, so I repeated what he said, resume
navigation, direct Bowling Green. (word cleared is not there)

Had he not said the word direct, I probably would have just left it at
resume own navigation.

*Did you do a present position Direct-to, or just intercept the
original flight plan?

I learned from ATC, when they say direct, you go direct from your
current position and not to intercept the original course line. So I
hit drct bwg on the 430.

Again, thanks for posting these videos. There's been so little interesting discussion on these newsgroups
lately, that it's good to see them actually being used as intended!

Agree :-)))

3 more videos have been uploaded, will reply to my own original
message.
Old April 28th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

Return trip from Ohio to MS with ATC COMS

9 hours of flight time compressed to three different videos. All the
videos pick up when I pick up my clearances to landing.

First video is 2G2 to KLEX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfoVWXvADrY

Original destination was to be KBWG however headwinds of 50 knots made
BWG unreachable. Video includes my diversion request with center
Apparently this request wasn't passed on to KLEX approach. Very lucky
it didn't cause an traffic conflict on my course reversal when I was
instructed to procede on course! Video at the end includes me
requesting progressive taxi instructions with ground.

Second video is KLEX to KTUP.http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Qd19Sl8yM8s

Arrived at KLEX, had to file new flight plans with FSS since KLEX FBO
didn't have a computer with internet access (only a WSI weather
briefing terminal)..First part of the video concentrates on the ground
operations and I put circles where I am on the airport diagram. Video
includes a report of a possible ELT activation

Third video is KTUP to KMBO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVXo54iWKjw

More inflight video in this video since there was more to see insofar
as clouds below me what little there was. Was getting light to
moderate chop at my original altitude so I requested higher in this
video.

Total flight time for April 24th was 9.1 hours.
Old April 28th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On Apr 27, 10:25*pm, nate_fl wrote:

For the last two years I have done ride-alongs with some of the
resident experts during a sailplane competition. I will try to post
one of those to you. Otherwise, no. Soaring effectively is a thinking
man's game, and I don't have the spare capacity to shoot video AND
stay in lift.

Fully understand. Flying the plane is the first and foremost.

Camera is always secondary in my flying, in IMC, camera stays on the
glareshield on anything other then stable level flight or is not even
on!