Pilatus accident kills six in Central Pennsylvania

Old March 31st 05, 09:52 PM
Jay Honeck

It certainly is tragic, but the kid does have a surviving older
brother in D.C.

God, these things are awful. As part of our string of three fatal accidents
last week (all within 48 hours!) here in Iowa, one was a Cherokee 235 that
crashed on take-off, killing three out of four family members.

The sole survivor, an 8-year old girl, was thrown clear of the wreckage but
suffered burns over 80% of her body. She may survive, although she may wish
she hadn't.

Of the three, this one really hit home for Mary and me, as the "family on
board" scenario is so similar to ours. No one's quite sure what happened,
but it appears that the 28 year old pilot veered off the runway during
take-off, for unknown reasons (strong cross-wind?), and then balled it up.
With 84 gallons of gas on board, a 235 apparently makes a big bang.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 05, 01:36 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
snip
The sole survivor, an 8-year old girl, was thrown clear of the wreckage
but suffered burns over 80% of her body. She may survive, although she
may wish she hadn't.

I dumped a full skillet of spitting HOT bacon grease on my upper thigh (Quad
area) when I was 11 - while camping. Burn area was the size of a modern CD
disk. A large water blister formed that was the size of a 1 quart zip-lock
baggie ...full of water. That blisted would slosh from side to side when I
was on my back. It popped after a few days of me playing with it.

Most painful thing that I've ever been through. I can still almost feel that
day's "arrrggg" 35 years later.

I still tear up when I see the Vietnam War photo of the little girl running
down the road, her cloths, and most of her skin, burned off by napalm
.....my burn was so so so so small compared to that.

85%. I can't even imagine that hell.

Montblack

Old April 1st 05, 02:03 AM
Happy Dog

"Montblack"

I still tear up when I see the Vietnam War photo of the little girl
running
down the road, her cloths, and most of her skin, burned off by napalm
....my burn was so so so so small compared to that.

Actually, she turned out just fine. (No small amount of luck, though.)
Lives near me now.

moo

Old April 1st 05, 04:59 AM
vincent p. norris

Welcome to the Alleghany Ice Machine!

I don't have to! I started flying in PA in 1946 and have been flying
in PA since then, except when in the Marines.

Between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, there is always the probability of
icing nine months of the year.

Well, yes, but in some of those nine months the probability is not
much more than .01. Spring is the worst, for reasons you all know.

The incident I described occurred on April 6, about 20 years ago.
It was the only significant icing experience I ever had.

vince norris
Old April 1st 05, 05:02 AM
vincent p. norris

Actually, she turned out just fine. (No small amount of luck, though.)
Lives near me now.

I remember that photo. Nice to get a bit of good news in this sad
thread.

vince norris
Old April 1st 05, 05:01 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Happy Dog" writes:

I still tear up when I see the Vietnam War photo of the little
girl running down the road, her cloths, and most of her skin,
burned off by napalm ....my burn was so so so so small compared to
that.

Actually, she turned out just fine. [...]

Is that because she was not actually burned much or at all? A close
look at the picture doesn't show any obvious damage. A bit of
googling also indicates that there is quite some mythology and
propaganda associated with it.

- FChE
Old April 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
Happy Dog

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

I still tear up when I see the Vietnam War photo of the little
girl running down the road, her cloths, and most of her skin,
burned off by napalm ....my burn was so so so so small compared to
that.

Actually, she turned out just fine. [...]

Is that because she was not actually burned much or at all? A close
look at the picture doesn't show any obvious damage. A bit of
googling also indicates that there is quite some mythology and
propaganda associated with it.

There is. Wasn't much fun either way though.

moo