A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

Old March 2nd 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a 2016 honda civic. It’s my only car. Has any one towed their glider and trailer using a small sedan like a civic?

It's a two year old car. You'll take an absolute (and instant) thrashing on the value of the vehicle of you put a hitch on it. Moreover, if it's a CVT automatic and you have problem$$$$ with it, you'll be SOL because it isn't rated to tow.

T8

Old March 2nd 18, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Check a copy of a Euro manual for the identical version of your car. Cars sold in America that have 'tow and die' verbiage often have reasonable towing limits per manufacturer when sold in Europe.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 5:51:03 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Check a copy of a Euro manual for the identical version of your car. Cars sold in America that have 'tow and die' verbiage often have reasonable towing limits per manufacturer when sold in Europe.

I posted the UK ratings for 2017 Civic here days ago:

- 800 kg for 1.0 automatic
- 1000 kg for 1.5 automatic
- 1200 kg for 1.0 manual
- 1400 kg for 1.5 manual
Old March 2nd 18, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go ahead and put a hitch on the car, and see how it behaves. As of now I only need it for the ocasional land out.
Old March 2nd 18, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:09:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I have a 2016 honda civic. It’s my only car. Has any one towed their glider and trailer using a small sedan like a civic?

Key to towing safely with a small car is having excellent trailer brakes. Not counting how slow you will go climbing hills. And the strain on the transmission or clutch.

BG
Old March 2nd 18, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 10:12:56 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 5:51:03 AM UTC+3, wrote:

I posted the UK ratings for 2017 Civic here days ago:

- 800 kg for 1.0 automatic
- 1000 kg for 1.5 automatic
- 1200 kg for 1.0 manual
- 1400 kg for 1.5 manual

100 km / hr speed limit too.
Old March 2nd 18, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Towed for the last 6 years with a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI. LS8/18 in an Anschau trailer then ASG-29 in a Cobra. Great tow vehicle. I did put spring helpers (coil inserts) in the rear end which helped keep the sag to a minimum. Over the years I've towed with a bunch of VWs starting with a Rabbit Diesel (no good) up through Jetta sedans (fair) Passat V6 wagon with 4 motion (great) and the Sportwagon TDI (great). Pay a lot of attention to the hitch height and tongue weight as well as all the other good advice about tire pressures etc.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

Old March 2nd 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 7:54:13 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

Remember that manufacturer recommended towing limits are assuming a shorter wheelbase utility type trailer, not a long wheelbase glider trailer. Weight is not the only issue to consider. And they probably also assume short, local trips, not long-distance trips.

Tom
Old March 2nd 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

I'm towing my Schreder trailer with a 2004 Prius with 277k miles on it. MPG drops to 28-29, but it tows fine. The Schreder is much lighter than the wood/fiberglass box I was pulling.

The plan is to add electric or surge brakes soon. Plus, it probably will feel a little different when I actually put my glider in it. ;-) (Soon...very soon...still working on fittings.)

Paul A.