Is Rafale dead?

Old December 14th 03, 06:36 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Is Rafale dead?

I understand that the order to Dassault is for 28 aircraft, with an option of
20 more. However, I have read on the web that Dassault is to deliver 1 Rafale
this year, and only 4 next year. I have also read that there are only 13
operational Rafales with the French Military.

The slow speed of deliveries is not a start up effect. The contract for the
initial 13 aircraft was signed in 1997 (six years ago).

Will the Rafale ever become the mainstay of the French military?
What's the status of the Rafale?
Can anyone add more data.

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/topstor02.htm

-Thanks

P.S. Anti-French jokes stopped being funny after the first few hundred.

Old December 14th 03, 08:59 AM
Ragnar

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
I understand that the order to Dassault is for 28 aircraft, with an option

of
20 more. However, I have read on the web that Dassault is to deliver 1

Rafale
this year, and only 4 next year. I have also read that there are only 13
operational Rafales with the French Military.

The slow speed of deliveries is not a start up effect. The contract for

the
initial 13 aircraft was signed in 1997 (six years ago).

Will the Rafale ever become the mainstay of the French military?
What's the status of the Rafale?
Can anyone add more data.

The French don't actually need a lot of combat aircraft. They get other
people to do the work.

Old December 14th 03, 11:01 AM
tscottme

Ragnar wrote in message

The French don't actually need a lot of combat aircraft. They get

other
people to do the work.

....or just practice speaking German while on one of their two 6th month
vacations each year. Did they ever retaliate for the Limburg attack?

--

Scott
--------

Old December 14th 03, 11:39 AM
Skysurfer

Ragnar wrote :

The French don't actually need a lot of combat aircraft. They get
other people to do the work.

Our helicopters were welcomed to do *your job* to save American
citizens from Liberia while you were preparing war to find those very
dangerous weapons of mass destruction in Irak.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...ria-evac_x.htm
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/6045007.htm
Old December 14th 03, 11:44 AM
Ragnar

"Skysurfer" wrote in message
. 0.32...
Ragnar wrote :

The French don't actually need a lot of combat aircraft. They get
other people to do the work.

Our helicopters were welcomed to do *your job* to save American
citizens from Liberia while you were preparing war to find those very
dangerous weapons of mass destruction in Irak.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...ria-evac_x.htm
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/6045007.htm

Congratulations. You could do a perfectly safe op - airlifting passengers
in total safety - while your betters were doing the heavy lifting uner fire
in Iraq. Seems to me that you do the jobs you were qualified for.

Old December 14th 03, 12:15 PM
Skysurfer

Ragnar wrote :

Congratulations. You could do a perfectly safe op - airlifting
passengers in total safety - while your betters were doing the
heavy lifting uner fire in Iraq. Seems to me that you do the jobs
you were qualified for.

Why should have we gone to Irak ? Oh yes I know, help to find those
WMD that Collin Powell showed us at the UN and you cannot find 8
months later ...

--
http://www.topos.org/rumsfeld.html
Old December 14th 03, 12:54 PM
Thomas Schoene

Skysurfer wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote :

I understand that the order to Dassault is for 28 aircraft, with
an option of 20 more. However, I have read on the web that
Dassault is to deliver 1 Rafale this year, and only 4 next year.
I have also read that there are only 13 operational Rafales with
the French Military.

I think the french govt has ordered about 300 Rafale.

Well, it has announced plans to order this many. However, actual orders are
120 thus far, plus 76 fairly firm projected orders in the 2003-08 budget
plan, for a total of about 200. The additional 100 will come after 2008,
and are obviously rather speculative.

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/topstor02.htm

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old December 14th 03, 01:25 PM
nemo

YEah, they just hire stupid enough guy toi fight fot ****...

Old December 14th 03, 05:24 PM

If your not french, no one cares.

Old December 14th 03, 05:35 PM
pcg

The 13 already operationnal Rafales are all in the French Navy.

Not exactly : 10 Rafale M, 2 B and 1 C have been delivered to the Navy and
the Air Force, but 9 M are operationnal in the Navy, the others are used by
Dassault for development.