Off-topic Q

Old July 22nd 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Off-topic Q

On Jul 21, 2:27*pm, John Smith wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Sorry, but the phrase "far miss" appears at best to be an oxymoron. In fact
"near miss" appears in various Thesaurus as a synonym for "collision".

Let me guess: Those were online thesauri?

This is an aviation themed forum, and among those who speak airplane
the meaning of near miss is well understood.

Old July 22nd 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Stefan wrote:
Jim Logajan schrieb:

"near miss" collision synonym
And this was returned as the first result:
http://freethesaurus.net/s.php?q=collision

If a free web site with unknown sources claims so, then is *must* be
true.

Amusing. Please note that URL proves someone assumed "near miss" was a
synonym for "collision" and entered that conclusion into that web site. So
I take it as a given that someone misunderstood the generally accepted
meaning of the idiom. It's one datum against continued use of "near miss."

On the other hand, the OED (Oxford English Dictionary, the big one)
says: "near miss, a shot that only just misses a target"
But since it's neither on the web nor free, I wouldn't trust it.

"Locus ab auctoritate est infirmissimus"

The idiom is probably confusing to people learning the
English language.

Well, English was only the third language I've learn't in school. But
I must admit that I have never been particularly confused by the
difference between near and nearly.

I already noted one entity claiming "near miss" was a synonym for
"collision" so your non-confusion is not really relevant. The issue isn't
about our definition.

The fact that this thread even exits is another datum against continued use
of the idiom.

But go ahead and use "near miss" instead of simply "miss" or "near
collision." If it means that much to everyone, feel free to encourage
people in using it. I wouldn't want to stand in the way of progress.
Old July 22nd 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

On Jul 21, 8:27*pm, Clark wrote:
D Ramapriya wrote in news:80432c67-1153-4b0f-ab44-

Poppycock. All the hyphenation means is that the words in the phrase can't be
separated and retain the same meaning.

Stop making things up and you'll have a much easier time in life.

Thanks for your time, counsel and erudition, mate.

Ramapriya
Old July 22nd 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

On Jul 22, 2:25*am, a wrote:

This is an aviation themed forum, and among those who speak airplane
the meaning of near miss is well understood.

Quite. I'm sorry if the thread in any way suggested that there's a
lack of clarity on what it meant.

Ramapriya

A little off topic Fred Blair Soaring 11 March 30th 09 08:42 PM
Seriously off-topic Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 0 September 28th 08 04:11 PM
Off-topic, but in need of help Alan Erskine Aviation Photos 20 January 5th 07 06:21 AM
Off-topic, but in need of help dennis Aviation Photos 0 January 4th 07 10:40 PM
off topic, just a little--maybe? L.D. Home Built 5 August 27th 05 04:56 PM