Startup, runup, shutdown, turns and landings - 2 videos

Old July 25th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Startup, runup, shutdown, turns and landings - 2 videos

Monkeying around with my new camera today as well as warming up the
engine for an oil change that was due.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki79yX4bhJ4

This video that shows my startup, runup and shutdown procedures.
Entire video is on the ground. Text overlay's explain "why I did do
what I do" Any comments to improving what I do always most
appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOaE8uG1Eg

This video is my takeoff, contact with KJAN approach, various types of
turns and three landings. The last landing in this video is my best I
have captured on video to date.
Old July 25th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

On Jul 25, 4:15*am, " wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOaE8uG1Eg

This video is my takeoff, contact with KJAN approach, various types of
turns and three landings. *The last landing in this video is my best I
have captured on video to date.

Nice videos, as usual. Just one little question. ISTR that there's a
FAA reg which states that Vref needs to be 30% above Vso on the
threshold. Since the stall warning came on just ere each of three
landings, were you closer to Vso than 30%? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya
Old July 25th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Jul 25, 4:16*am, Clark wrote:
D Ramapriya wrote in news:0ae3a0aa-b600-4f76-8187-
:

On Jul 25, 4:15*am, " wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOaE8uG1Eg

This video is my takeoff, contact with KJAN approach, various types of
turns and three landings. *The last landing in this video is my best I
have captured on video to date.

Nice videos, as usual. Just one little question. ISTR that there's a
FAA reg which states that Vref needs to be 30% above Vso on the
threshold. Since the stall warning came on just ere each of three
landings, were you closer to Vso than 30%? Or am I missing something?

I'm sure Alan can/will respond but I'll throw in my 0.02 anyway. :-)

1.3Vso is recommended for approach. It isn't a FAR reg as far as I know. That
said, it is standard procedure to land a single engine aircraft at/about Vso.
Landing is simply rounding out the descent and then holding the aircraft off
the ground +/- 1 foot until it quits flying. It is much easier to type the
description than to execute it. Anyway, the stall warning should be on when
the wheels touch. In my aircraft, the stall warning activates about 10 kts
above stall so it is frequently on in the round out.

Look at it from the other side. If the aircraft is above Vso at touch down
then the aircraft is much more likely to bounce. Bounces are very bad since
they tend to lead to a nose low attitude and damage to the aircraft. If you
always touchdown at or slightly below Vso then you won't bounce.

Perhaps the part that bothers you is the approach is flown at 1.3Vso and the
landing is at Vso. For a pilot, that is no big deal. Just pull the throttle
back at the appropriate time and fly the roundout. The airspeed takes care of
itself. For a new to you aircraft, a few practice landings is all it takes to
get the timing right. If a pilot wants to cheat a bit then they leave a
little power in to help break the descent and cushion the landing.

Anyway, Alan did good. Sure he got slow on the second approach. No big deal,
it happens to all of us. Push the nose down and give it a little more power
then kick ourself in the butt and remember pitch for airspeed, power for
glideslope, trim is your friend. That last landing looked like a work of art,
the camera didn't even jiggle.
---
there should be a "sig" here

I would have to agree with Clark, I hear of the 1.3 Vso number which
definitely wouldn't be "30 percent" (more like 13 percent if I have my
math correct?).

One thing to note is the outer scale of my ASI is in MPH and inner
scale is knots. I read off knots in my airspeed readbacks.

Could that be causing confusion for Ramapriya???

Clark,

I normally do 78 knot finals and another person was busting my chops
so I figured to do the book value which almost bit me on that second
approach.

Probably a rare video to see that show how to correct the slow
airspeed problem in the "real world" as you can see the cowling
lowered and stall horn a split second later stop sounding.
Old July 25th 09, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

On Jul 25, 12:16*pm, Clark wrote:

[...]

My bad actually - I mistook the approach speed for touchdown speed!
I'm not a pilot and it shows

Thanks a lot,

Ramapriya
Old July 25th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:55:46 -0700 (PDT), D Ramapriya wrote:

On Jul 25, 12:16*pm, Clark wrote:

[...]

You ask good questions though.
Old July 25th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

On Jul 25, 12:16*pm, Clark wrote:

[...]

Agree!

Especially when it makes me think "back to basics" and keeps me from
taking things for granted.
Old July 26th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Jul 25, 12:16*pm, Clark wrote:

[...]

Which you demonstrated by performing your checklists by the book.