Call signs

Old June 5th 05, 05:17 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I don't think you'll have any trouble calling yourselves a Warrior. If
they change it to "Cherokee" I suppose that's there choice.

Jay, you must be really behind on sleep, or something. You wrote "that's
(there ?) choice." That isn't at all like you!

Since Barnyard BoB hasn't been around lately, I thought I would take an
unusual jab! g
--
Jim in NC

Old June 5th 05, 05:22 AM
Morgans

"aluckyguess" wrote

Get what I am drying to say.

Sounds to me like you are all wet!
--
Jim in NC
Old June 5th 05, 05:31 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, you must be really behind on sleep, or something. You wrote "that's
(there ?) choice." That isn't at all like you!

Hoo, boy -- that's sad, isn't it? I really kicked that post out a bit TOO
quickly, I guess.

We've had a really busy day at the inn -- another wedding party, and
tornados rocking and rolling us around. I ain't got time to bleed, er, I
mean, to spell...

My son is NOT going to want to clean the pool tomorrow...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 05, 05:36 AM
Jay Honeck

All the controller cares about is your speed. So he wants to know if
you are a "Cherokee" (Warrior, Arrow, ....) or a LearJet or a heavy.
That tells him about times and congestion problems, his job.

Well, they care enough about the speed differences between a Warrior and a
Dakota that they changed them all from PA-28s to P28As and P28Bs
respectively.

Right. A Pathfinder/Dakota cruises more than 20% faster than a Cherokee
140.

Which is why, when I've asked the tower controllers at Cedar Rapids, they
told me that they appreciated knowing that we're a "Dakota" rather than a
"Cherokee" -- as this knowledge enables them to scoot us around their little
chessboard a little faster. (Although, I suspect, 90% of the time it really
doesn't matter...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 5th 05, 05:58 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

another wedding party, and
tornados rocking and rolling us around.

Tornadoes, Huh. I haven't looked at a weather map today. I've gotta say
that I don't miss that aspect of Ohio, and you are worse with tornadoes by a
factor of ten, or so.

One thing that the South has, that Ohio does not have very often, are "toad
strangler" rain storms. It is not unusual in the summer, to get a squall
that dumps an inch, or 3/4ths of an inch in 15 minutes. Sometimes, on rare
occasion, it is more than that.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 5th 05, 07:08 AM
H.P.

While we're at this, I heard a pilot preface his call sign with "Turkey"
(nnnn). What's that?? Or was I hearing wrong?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know its not a big deal, but I was just wondering, what
do all the other Warrior people use?

When we owned a Warrior we always called ourselves "Warrior 33431" to
ATC, and never had a problem.

Our problems began when we started calling ourselves "Pathfinder
56993." NO ONE knows what a Pathfinder is, cuz Piper only made a
relative handful of them before changing the name to "Dakota" -- which
everyone seems to know.

Thus, we have taken to calling ourselves "Dakota 56993" rather than
hassle with the explanations.

Old June 5th 05, 07:26 AM
Dale

In article . com,
"buttman" wrote:

What I think happened here is that he misunderstood "Warrior" as me
saying "four" or something. When I file all I say for type is PA-28,
and to ATC guys a PA-28 is a Cherokee. So from that point on, I now use
Cherokee as my call sign, even though it says "Warrior III" on the
side, and nowhere in the POH or anywhere else does it have the word
"Cherokee". I know its not a big deal, but I was just wondering, what
do all the other Warrior people use?

Don't feel bad. I used to fly a Consolidated B-24J Liberator around the
country. You know, the 4 engine WWII bomber.

Invariably when flying IFR we would be called "Beech" by the
controllers. It seems the Beech Sierra is a "B24".

I started calling up and saying "Liberator 224J, a WWII 4-engine bomber".

They would say "Beech 224J, cleared as filed......."

Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old June 5th 05, 10:16 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dale wrote:
Invariably when flying IFR we would be called "Beech" by the
controllers. It seems the Beech Sierra is a "B24".

I started calling up and saying "Liberator 224J, a WWII 4-engine bomber".

They would say "Beech 224J, cleared as filed......."

Maybe you would have had better luck with "Consolidated".

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 5th 05, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:56:07 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote:

I use "Skyhawk nnnn" in the 172, consistently.

That's the style at the (non-towered) airfield at which I do my
flying.

The Cubs don't have installed radios, and I've never heard another Cub
Driver on the radio, so I make my own style. I say "Piper Cub" XXXX
because it trips fast off the tongue. After the first call I saw "the
Cub" with no numbers. Again, non-towered. At a towered field, I use
whatever the controller used when he first replied to me, typically
the last three numbers/digits.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 5th 05, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

tornados rocking and rolling us around.

Tornadoes, Huh. I haven't looked at a weather map today. I've gotta say
that I don't miss that aspect of Ohio, and you are worse with tornadoes by
factor of ten, or so.

Yeah, well, nine out of ten of our supposed "tornados" are merely the
creations of the apoplectic weather guys on TV and at the National Weather
Service.

Remember, these are the very same guys who got schools cancelled here last
winter because of the THREAT of an imminent "huge" snow storm.

Last night, they blew the warning sirens here twice. The first time I was
watching the cell approaching on Doppler radar, and KNEW they were full of
crap -- but the weatherman was looking at the same cell and taking phone
calls on live TV from people who were supposedly watching barns blow down.

So, when the sirens went off a SECOND time, I reluctantly got Mary and the
kids up, and we all traipsed down into the basement (which is where my
office, workshop, rec room, bar, and Mary's sewing room is -- so we ain't
exactly huddled in a root cellar) to wait it out.

Of course, when the "killer cell" hit, the wind gusted to 30, and a few
drops of rain fell. I don't think it even got the deck completely wet.

Wow, was Mary ****ed.

These hyped up crazy TV weather men are going to get someone killed some
day.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Reamed out by Approach Bob Chilcoat Piloting 26 March 29th 05 12:32 AM
Angel Flight call signs Doug Carter Piloting 14 February 1st 05 03:43 PM
Call Signs sid Naval Aviation 3 April 27th 04 09:38 PM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
Who do you call? Travis Marlatte Piloting 4 August 21st 03 08:16 AM