TRSA and /X

Old June 10th 05, 01:48 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

They are left-over from when Class C airspace was called an ARSA.

Actually, they're left over from an even earlier time.

The main difference between an ARSA and a TRSA was that the former
required participation, while the latter did not. Then, and now, the TRSA
is sort of "in-between" Class C (mandatory radar services) and Class D
(no radar services).

TRSAs provide a service in-between Class C service and Basic Radar service.
There are some terminal radar facilities that do not have Class B or Class C
airspace and are not TRSAs, these facilities provide Basic Radar service.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R22812C3B

The bottom line here is that TRSAs exist where there's a terminal radar
facility (approach/departure control), but where there's not enough
traffic to justify mandatory participation (as is the case for Class C, or
Class B for that matter).

But TRSAs do not exist at all such locations. Facilities that provide Basic
Radar service are identified on sectional charts by a small blue circle with
an R in it near the airport name.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F3E722C3B

It's really just Class E airspace, where radar
services are being provided by a terminal controller rather than a center
(enroute) controller (that's a bit of an oversimplification too, but it's
the basic idea).

It's Class D and Class E airspace.

The boundaries show you where the terminal controller provides the radar
services rather than the center controller. The only difference in radar
services is who is providing them; it's still just your run-of-the-mill
Class E services, which are optional wherever you are.

That's not correct. The charted TRSA boundary is well within the
center/approach boundary. The terminal facility provides services on both
sides of the TRSA boundary, probably by the same controller as well.

Old June 10th 05, 01:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

It's not an inbetween anything. It's not a class of controlled airspace.

They're not a class of controlled airspace, that's certainly true, but TRSA
services are definitely in-between Basic Radar services and Class C
services.

Old June 10th 05, 01:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

I don't understand your statement. I've never heard of a TRSA existing in
Class G airspace. All of the ones I've seen have been in Class E
airspace, which certainly is controlled airspace.

TRSAs exist in Class D and Class E airspace, but are not a type of
controlled airspace.

Old June 10th 05, 01:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...

I have yet to see a TRSA encompass class G airspace (other than the
presumption that ground to 700 feet is included) but from a logical
standpoint it seems counterintuitive to provide "control" to traffic in
"uncontrolled" airspace.

The only place TRSAs reach the surface is within the core Class D surface
area. The outer boundary of a TRSA does not extend below the base altitude
of Class E airspace.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2B843C3B

Old June 10th 05, 02:19 PM

Thanks. I was aware of the voluntary nature of TRSA's,
which is why I specified VFR and asked if participation was
encouraged/permitted, not required. Let me ask the same
question in a more practical setting.

If you were flying XC VFR /X and your direct route took you
through a TRSA would you make a call and try to participate,
descend to fly under/alter course to avoid, or just fly on
through?

"Bob Gardner" wrote:

AIM 3-5-6 says that participation by VFR pilots is voluntary...and for IFR
pilots, TRSA's don't even exist in Part 71.

Bob Gardner

wrote in message
.. .
Is VFR participation by a non transponder equipped aircraft
encouraged/permitted in a TRSA?

Thanks.

Old June 10th 05, 02:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Thanks. I was aware of the voluntary nature of TRSA's,
which is why I specified VFR and asked if participation was
encouraged/permitted, not required. Let me ask the same
question in a more practical setting.

If you were flying XC VFR /X and your direct route took you
through a TRSA would you make a call and try to participate,
descend to fly under/alter course to avoid, or just fly on
through?

I'd make a call and try to participate. ATC may or may not be able to
provide services, it all depends on whether they can see an adequate primary
radar target. I wouldn't alter my course or altitude in any case.

Old June 10th 05, 02:48 PM
Brad Zeigler

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to the AIM, TRSAs provide
separation between participating VFR aircraft. In class C airspace, there
is only separation between VFR & IFR aircraft. The AIM makes it sound like
TRSAs offer participating aircraft a higher level of separation services
than class C radar services.

ink.net...

Old June 10th 05, 03:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Brad Zeigler" wrote in message

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but according to the AIM, TRSAs provide
separation between participating VFR aircraft. In class C airspace, there
is only separation between VFR & IFR aircraft. The AIM makes it sound
like TRSAs offer participating aircraft a higher level of separation
services than class C radar services.

I suppose that depends on what you consider a higher level of separation
services to be. In Class C airspace IFR aircraft are separated from all
other aircraft, but in TRSAs they're only separated from other participating
aircraft.