interstate runnways?

Old June 13th 05, 09:51 PM
zaphod

Default interstate runnways?

OK, This sounded a little strange to me, but during lunch today with some
co-workers, someone asked if I knew of some rules regarding interstate
construction. They had heard a bit of trivia that claimed that an
interstate highway must have sections that are straight, level, and long
enough for a plane to land(at least 1 mile they thought.) I had never
heard of such and was wondering if anyone here knows what they were talking
about?

Old June 13th 05, 10:01 PM
Dave Butler

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp
Old June 13th 05, 10:11 PM
John Galban

zaphod wrote:
OK, This sounded a little strange to me, but during lunch today with some
co-workers, someone asked if I knew of some rules regarding interstate
construction. They had heard a bit of trivia that claimed that an
interstate highway must have sections that are straight, level, and long
enough for a plane to land(at least 1 mile they thought.) I had never
heard of such and was wondering if anyone here knows what they were talking
about?

This question used to be batted around on a fairly regular basis in
the newgroups. The upshot was that just about everybody has heard
about this bit of trivia, but no one could come up with any official
source for it. It appears to be an urban legend (at least for the
U.S. Interstate systems).

In some european countries, major highways were designed to
accomodate military aircraft for use in war time.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 13th 05, 10:16 PM
Matt Whiting

zaphod wrote:

OK, This sounded a little strange to me, but during lunch today with some
co-workers, someone asked if I knew of some rules regarding interstate
construction. They had heard a bit of trivia that claimed that an
interstate highway must have sections that are straight, level, and long
enough for a plane to land(at least 1 mile they thought.) I had never
heard of such and was wondering if anyone here knows what they were talking
about?

I don't think most of the interstates in PA meet this, or could meet
this, requirement even if it were true! :-)

Matt
Old June 13th 05, 10:45 PM
zaphod

this group never ceases to amaze me. THANKS GUYS!

Old June 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Chris

"John Galban" wrote in message
ups.com...

zaphod wrote:
[...]

Switzerland is one country in particular.

Old June 14th 05, 12:32 AM
Ronald Gardner

In the cold war days and the start of the interstate system, the plan was to
use these areas as a remote deployment site for the military aircraft in the
event of an attack.

Old June 14th 05, 12:54 AM
John Gaquin

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message news:nImre.812

I don't think most of the interstates in PA meet this, or could meet this,
requirement even if it were true! :-)

Doesn't matter. Nebraska and a couple of other plains states can make up
for all the rest! :-)

Old June 14th 05, 02:10 AM
Matt Whiting

John Gaquin wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message news:nImre.812

I don't think most of the interstates in PA meet this, or could meet this,
requirement even if it were true! :-)

Doesn't matter. Nebraska and a couple of other plains states can make up
for all the rest! :-)

That's a fact. Driving across states like Nebraska, Kansas and others
puts me to sleep ... on a motorcycle no less in the case of Kansas! :-)
I'm not making this up, just ask my wife who was riding with me.

Matt