What sort of plane do I want?

Old June 24th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What sort of plane do I want?

Ok, when I'm dreaming, I want a deHavilland Beaver on amphib floats
with all the Kenmore mods. But lets be practical here, I haven't won the
lottery.

Is there a plane out there that:
- is on floats (preferably amphibs, but I know they add a lot to the cost)
- can carry two people plus camping gear plus fuel (say 750 pounds plus
fuel?)
- has a decent range
- has a transponder so I can fly across the US-Canada border without
jumping through hoops
- preferably side by side seating
- preferably a four seater, although a two seater with a big baggage area
would probably do
- costs less than $50K

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but
Old June 24th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:12:07 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

[...]

Proably not. My murphy rebel meets all your wants except for the price
and transponder A set of airworthy amphib floats is going to cost at
least $25k that doesn't leave much for the rest of the plane.
Old June 24th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul Tomblin wrote:
[...]

An old Maule?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Is there a plane out there that:
- is on floats (preferably amphibs, but I know they add a lot to the cost)
- can carry two people plus camping gear plus fuel (say 750 pounds plus
fuel?)
- has a decent range
- has a transponder so I can fly across the US-Canada border without
jumping through hoops
- preferably side by side seating
- preferably a four seater, although a two seater with a big baggage area
would probably do
- costs less than $50K

I think you are dreaming.

Old June 24th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Ok, when I'm dreaming, I want a deHavilland Beaver on amphib floats
with all the Kenmore mods. But lets be practical here, I haven't won the
lottery.

Is there a plane out there that:
- is on floats (preferably amphibs, but I know they add a lot to the cost)
- can carry two people plus camping gear plus fuel (say 750 pounds plus
fuel?)
- has a decent range
- has a transponder so I can fly across the US-Canada border without
jumping through hoops
- preferably side by side seating
- preferably a four seater, although a two seater with a big baggage area
would probably do
- costs less than $50K

No, but those Seabees with the 'Vette engine conversion sure sound
nice.

Don
Old June 24th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Twin Ultralite on floats?
Just keep looking on Ebay. You can find most anything there, but in that
price range, it may say "Project"!
ron

Old June 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In the certified airplane arena, there is nothing.

Among the homebuilts, there are several that look like they might do
the trick - on paper.

I once almost bought a Glass Goose. It's an amphib (flying boat, not
floats) side-by-side two seater with flip-up canopy (it had a
transponder and almost an IFR panel), huge fuel tanks, lots of baggage
room, and was powered by an O-320. Only $26K. I think it's still for
sale.

Great plane, if you don't mind pieces of the wing falling off.

Michael

Old June 27th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In a previous article, "Michael" said:
Great plane, if you don't mind pieces of the wing falling off.

I don't think my wife would like that.

Hmmm. Maybe I have to find a partner. Looks like I could get a
sufficiently old Cessna 180 for less than $100K.
http://tappix.com/745029
Except for the lack of a transponder, it looks like it would fit the bill.

Any suggestions on how to find a partner?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
'Usenet "belongs" to those who administer the hosts of which it is comprised'
Old June 27th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Great plane, if you don't mind pieces of the wing falling off.

I don't think my wife would like that.

Oh, come on. What are the odds? After all, 85% of them have NOT had a
portion of the wing depart in flight. And anyway, most of the
incidents were not fatal.

Any suggestions on how to find a partner?

Having a partner in an airplane is a lot like marriage. Only when you
fight, there is (usually) no great make-up sex afterwards.

Michael

Old June 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Why not a LAKE?
The lower end approaches your price range, but you have to be real careful
in purchasing an amphibian. You don't want to end up with a rust bucket.