"Seeking Foreign Buyers For Osprey"

Old June 17th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Pat Flannery

Default "Seeking Foreign Buyers For Osprey"

Vince wrote:

the thread is about the osprey

feel free to rename your thread

The thread appears to be about the V-22, and how much it sucks, sucks,
sucks...if Walt's postings are anything to go by. :-)

Pat
Old June 17th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Jun 16, 8:19?pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
Vince wrote:

the thread is about the osprey

feel free to rename your thread

The thread appears to be about the V-22, and how much it sucks, sucks,
sucks...if Walt's postings are anything to go by. :-)

Pat

It's been plgued the entire development time with the Marines even
falsifying records to get it approved. Most people think it is a waste
of money like the obscene taxpayer rip-off fraud F/A-22, but even
worse as transitional flight a/c with rotors are inherently
dangerous, especially since this one will be carrying troops.

Once it hits Iraq in September I would make sure the bodybags are
stockpiled. I know the insurgents can't wait to shoot down this new US
rotorcraft. The propaganda value to Islamic nations will be priceless
and a morale defeater with US troops if the Ospreys become sitting
ducks. My Ranger buddy told me that many US Army soldiers are already
calling it the "Let's Pray". That is a bad sign...and it is only June.

Rob

Old June 17th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Dan[_2_]

Rob Arndt wrote:
snip

My Ranger buddy told me that many US Army soldiers are already
calling it the "Let's Pray". That is a bad sign...and it is only June.

Rob

A lot of perfectly good aircraft have negative nicknames. It goes
with the territory. Ever heard of a "lead sled" or "buff?" Do you know
what buff stands for? A-37 was called, among other things, a converter,
it converted fuel to noise. B-26 was called widow maker. Rescue C-130N/P
were pigasaurus rex, last known example of a flightless dinosaur. DC, as
in DC-9, DC-10 etc stood for "done crashed." F-16 lawn dart. C-9, the
only aircraft named after a nurse who gave a lot of soldiers the clap.
The list goes on.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old June 17th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Jun 16, 11:16?pm, Dan wrote:
Rob Arndt wrote:

snip

My Ranger buddy told me that many US Army soldiers are already

calling it the "Let's Pray". That is a bad sign...and it is only June.

Rob

A lot of perfectly good aircraft have negative nicknames. It goes
with the territory. Ever heard of a "lead sled" or "buff?" Do you know
what buff stands for? A-37 was called, among other things, a converter,
it converted fuel to noise. B-26 was called widow maker. Rescue C-130N/P
were pigasaurus rex, last known example of a flightless dinosaur. DC, as
in DC-9, DC-10 etc stood for "done crashed." F-16 lawn dart. C-9, the
only aircraft named after a nurse who gave a lot of soldiers the clap.
The list goes on.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

As the Mobile Infantry would say in "Starship Troopers"... "more meat
for the grinder"!

That's what the V-22 is... a meatgrinder for US troops.

Rob

Old June 17th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Jun 17, 10:22 am, Rob Arndt wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:16?pm, Dan wrote:

Rob Arndt wrote:

snip

[...]

Think of it as a mini-Hindenburg.

Old June 18th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
RapidRonnie

Anyone wanna take bets on the Ospreys going to Iraq in September?
First loss due to combat, flying accident, or technical malfunction?

Rob

You don't see how sick it is for someone who has never put his neck
on the line to place bets on the deaths of those who do?

What's irresponsible is not to make clear in any way possible what a
piece of **** the Osprey is. If open betting on fatalities were to
bring ridicule to this program it would save lives.

I don't want any more Ospreys to kill people, but kill people they
will if placed in service. I hope that when the inevitable occurs,
among the killed is someone whose demise proves enormously painful to
some son of a bitch who is responsible for this flying abortion.

If they have such faith in this piece of ****, place it in service as
Marine One. That way if we get lucky we may kill two birds with one
stone.

A mixed metaphor....

Old June 18th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
RapidRonnie

The USMC gambled with US soldiers lives when it falsified the test
records on the Osprey-forget about that? And if proven rotorcraft like
an Apache armored helo needs escort in Iraq what do you think will
happen to the more vunerable transitional flight V-22 when it attempts
to transition for landing or take-off?

I can see the AKs and RPGs flying already

Probably 12 gauge slug guns could take this turkey down with hits up
the nacelles or blade hubs.

Rob

? ?Many aircraft need armed escort for some of their missions, why would
Osprey be any different?

? ?AKs fly?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Hide quoted text -

Being stupid again? Yes, it should read AKs firing and RPGs flying...
but you knew what I meant anyway... I only wish if you were gonna play
English teacher you would do it with everyone here on RAM.

Regarding the Apache, this was supposed to be the premiere armored
attack helo in the world able to stand up to best Soviet/Russian
battlefield weapons; instead, it is fairly easy prey for raghead
insurgents with nothing more than AKs and RPGs... so much for that
myth of invincibility. We should have learned that from the fast and
armored Mil-24 Hinds in Afghanistan. We laughed at their losses... yet
lament our own...

The Army should go to Lockheed and admit they were pricks to them
over the Cheyenne. It would STILL be the best heavy attack helo in
the world.

Old June 18th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
RapidRonnie

My Ranger buddy told me that many US Army soldiers are already

calling it the "Let's Pray". That is a bad sign...and it is only June.

Rob

A lot of perfectly good aircraft have negative nicknames. It goes
with the territory. Ever heard of a "lead sled" or "buff?" Do you know
what buff stands for? A-37 was called, among other things, a converter,
it converted fuel to noise. B-26 was called widow maker. Rescue C-130N/P
were pigasaurus rex, last known example of a flightless dinosaur. DC, as
in DC-9, DC-10 etc stood for "done crashed." F-16 lawn dart. C-9, the
only aircraft named after a nurse who gave a lot of soldiers the clap.
The list goes on.

Sometimes it's in fun and sometimes deadly serious. Knowing the
difference is not your forte, it appears.

Old June 18th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Jun 17, 10:03?pm, RapidRonnie wrote:
My Ranger buddy told me that many US Army soldiers are already

calling it the "Let's Pray". That is a bad sign...and it is only June.

Rob

A lot of perfectly good aircraft have negative nicknames. It goes
with the territory. Ever heard of a "lead sled" or "buff?" Do you know
what buff stands for? A-37 was called, among other things, a converter,
it converted fuel to noise. B-26 was called widow maker. Rescue C-130N/P
were pigasaurus rex, last known example of a flightless dinosaur. DC, as
in DC-9, DC-10 etc stood for "done crashed." F-16 lawn dart. C-9, the
only aircraft named after a nurse who gave a lot of soldiers the clap.
The list goes on.

Sometimes it's in fun and sometimes deadly serious. Knowing the
difference is not your forte, it appears.

US Army soldiers in Iraq also call the Apache... "Patch-Me". Is that
funny? How many of the "invincible" copters have been shot down and
shot-up since 2003 over there? 20? 30? More?

I guess common sense is not your forte. An Apache has a hell of lot
better chance at survival than a troop-carryong transitional
rotorcraft with exposed engines at the tips of vunerable wings. It is
not heavily armored as well.

When civilians and the military alike call the V-22 things like Turkey-
Shoot, Easy Prey, and Let's Pray, I think they show a definate lack of
confidence with the craft. Time will tell.

Rob

Old June 18th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
John Ahlstrom

BlackBeard wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:43 pm, Rob Arndt wrote:
Even stray fire that misses the troops or pilots, but hits a critical
flight system will probably send the Osprey right into the ground.

And this is different from any other aircraft how?

Transitional flight in a combat zone is gonna be a bitch anyway,

As in any troop carrying helicopter...

but
since Iraq is so large, just the regular flight in transit to the
target area or base will expose the rotorcraft to small arms and RPG
fire at low altitude.

Why fly low, it has a higher ceiling than the helo it is meant to
replace, and has more counter-measures and survivability systems than
those helos. So it has a better chance of surviving if hit. If it is
flying low, compare the chances of hitting something going by at 170
knots versus 240+ knots with an RPG. Go ahead and stand off the
highway. Try to hit a VW beetle going by at the speed limit with a
baseball. Then try that with a speeding Lexus going about 80. You
don't get to practice either, they pass once.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...

Does the mission for the V-22 include combat zone landing
and take-off or is this a protected area to protected area
transport?

Granted in insurgent/guerilla wars there are likely to be
substantial threats in the path between protected areas and
the protected areas are likely to be less protected than in
wars with front lines.

Regardless of what its initial mission included, is it worth
it if it is restricted to truck-replacement rather than
assault?

JKA