Florida Mil Comms Loggings - Mon, 17 May 2004

Old May 18th 04, 04:17 AM
AllanStern

Default Florida Mil Comms Loggings - Mon, 17 May 2004

Monday, 17 May 2004
Interesting comms today: some concerning one of the nation's newest acft,
the F/A-22 now at Tyndall AFB, and some about the good old days when "The Real
Stuff" was going on at Cape Canaveral, and I was there.

AIR TRANSPORT 400: DC-8, Little Rock (USAF Contractor)
8:58am: Lands Patrick. Later departs to Antigua, then to Ascension - both USAF
Eastern Test Range downrange sites.
[133.75]

N4667B: CE-208B Cessna Caravan, US State Dept, Intl Narcotics Mission/Air Wing,
Patrick AFB.
9:17am: Departs Patrick.
2:50pm: Lands Patrick.
[133.75]

HAWK 85; F/A-18D, Beaufort MCAS VMFA(AW)-533
9:44am: Transitions area to Mayport NAF
[269.3, 273.55]

MAKOs 11, 12: F-16C, Homestead JARB 482FW 93FS
10:01am: Arrives to work at Avon Park Bombing Range.
[292.2, 138.125]

SHARK 21: F-16C, Homestead JARB 482FW 93FS
10:25am: Arrives to work at Avon Park Bombing Range.
10:45am: RTBs to HST.
[292.2, 307.1, 139.8]

AX 186: C-130T, Andrews AFB VR-53 "Capitol Express"
10:31am: Area transition. Might be C-40 acft replacing VR-53's C-130Ts, as
noted by Sandy in Colo recently.
[133.475, 132.15]

BRONCO 01: OV-10D, US State Dept US State Dept, Intl Narcotics Mission/Air
Wing, Patrick AFB.
10:45am: Departs Patrick (flight of 2).
4:12pm: Lands Patrick.
[133.75]

AKULA 31: F-16C, Homestead JARB 482FW 93FS
10:52am: Single ship, arrives at Avon Park Bombing Range.
[292.2, 307.1]

JOLLYs 11, 12: HH-60G Pave Hawk Helos, Patrick AFB 920RQW
11:51am: Departs Patrick; approaches at KMLB, Patrick.
[269.375]

PJ 610: P-3C, Whidbey Island NAS VP-69 "Totems" Sqdn
12:10pm: Lands Patrick.
[269.375]

HQ 475: SH-60B, Mayport NAF HSL-46 "Grandmasters" Sqdn
12:30pm: Area transition.
[132.65]

VDA 4813: AN-124, Volga Dnepr (Contractor)
2:30pm: Departs NASA-KSC Shuttle Landing Facility. This huge Ukrainian
transport had RONd previous night after bringing large aerospace cargo. Note
RON at SLF instead of CCAFS whose runway is closed for construction.
[128.55, 132.65, 124.8, 133.3]

VAMPIRE 72: F/A-22, Tyndall AFB 325FW 43FS
2:45pm: Touch and go at Patrick on apparent fam flight through area; remains at
low altitude (and therefor VHF freqs). This is my first snag of comms from an
F/A-22. Was a bit too low and fast for me to get into my camera window.
Tyndall is USAF's only F/A-22 schoolhouse; so I expect to see more of them.
Made a wonderful shallow swooping pass over my house off of Patrick's Rnwy 20
before heading south along the coast. I LIKE this plane. Looks like it loves to
roll.
[133.75, 1312.65, 132.25]

SHARKs 21, 22, 23: F-16C, Homestead JARB 482FW 93FS
3:00pm: Strafing at Avon Park Bombing Range.
[292.2, 285.725, 139.8]

MAKO 11 Flight: F-16C, Homestead JARB 482FW 93FS
3:00pm: Hitting tgts at Avon Park.
3:04pm: MAKO 11 has to RTB HST with problem.
3:40pm: Balance of flight RTBs.
[292.2, 285.725, 307.1, 269.3, 239.25, 370.9, 322.5]

SHARK 89: C-130.
3:39pm: Area transition, to waypoint Nassau.
[119.825]

LIMA LIMA 38: P-3C Jacksonville NAS VP-30 "Pro's Nest" Sqdn.
3:45pm: Area transition.
[133.475]

ZANTOP 757: Zantop Intl (Charter), Ypsilanti MI
5:27pm: Area transition.
Those of us who were here in the 1960s Hey-days of the space program, remember
the ever-present Zantop acft at Patrick AFB, supporting operations. ZANTOP 757
engaged in some great reminiscences about those days; this pilot flew flights
into Patrick in the old days, and the 133.475 ATC was controlling flights back
then. Nice to hear them chat and to feel the nostalgia of my days during the
Gemini missions and the Saturn-Apollo moon-landing flights. I used to monitor
the action right from the beach in those days.

BOLT 13: KC-135R, MacDill 6AMW.
10:03pm: En route to Homestead.
[133.475, 119.825, 132.25]

AL STERN Satellite Beach FL (28-11N 80-36W) monitoring
 Patrick AFB (KCOF)  NASA-KSC Shuttle Landing Fac (KX68)
 Avon Park Bombing Range (KAGR)  Cape Canaveral AFS (KXMR)
 JSTARS E-8 Acft Integration Facility, Melbourne IAP (KMLB)
 Worldwide Military HF Communications
 Life Member: Missile, Space and Range Pioneers.
 http://hometown.aol.com/allanstern/m...age/index.html (My Freqs)
 http://hometown.aol.com/scanaddict/index.html (My Equipment)
Old May 18th 04, 06:41 AM
fudog50

Allan,
I really don't think anyone is impressed with your continued
posts of "Mil Comms Loggings" around Eglin, P'cola etc., certainly not
me.
While you may be protected by laws, what you are doing and
posting is certainly subject to scrutiny by any country at war,
especially your own.....

Just another piece of the puzzle my friend that you are
willingly exposing to anyone, friend or foe, ya oughta stop posting
this stuff.

Ok, it's cool you know how to intercept military unencrypted
ATC comms, but does anyone other than an adversary really care???

Lots of people do this stuff out of curiosity and "wannabe"
pshyches. But they don't post it to the world and make it easier for
potential adversaries to map our techniques. Let them spend the time
and money to do it.

Just remember, that military ship/aircraft movements during
peacetime are sensitive and that during war are classified. What you
are doing is definitely gray area stuff and warrants looking into.

You have been reported to NCIS. When something smells bad, it
usually is, not always. Hope you have nothing to fear, however you
will most certainly be investigated. You might not ever know. Then
again, you might? Standby.

Old May 18th 04, 12:37 PM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, fudog50
confessed the following:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 05:41:45 GMT, in rec.aviation.military you wrote:

While you may be protected by laws, what you are doing and
posting is certainly subject to scrutiny by any country at war,
especially your own.....

Say what? Awww fer cryin' out loud...

Ok, it's cool you know how to intercept military unencrypted
ATC comms, but does anyone other than an adversary really care???

Ummm since when are ATC communications with FAA centers sensitive?
Afraid that some bad guy will find out F-16s use the Avon Park
bombing range?

Lots of people do this stuff out of curiosity and "wannabe"
pshyches. But they don't post it to the world and make it easier for
potential adversaries to map our techniques. Let them spend the time
and money to do it.

Map our techniques? I'd be willing to bet you never actually practiced
these "techniques" you're worried about. Guess you'll want magazines
like Air Forces Monthly, Air Combat, AW&ST classified...hell Air
Combat publishes a yearly AOB issue. Hell better get the AF to stop
publishing Airman magazine too. Better arrest Guy Alcala for "the good
of the nation," he knows waay too much. [Guy blame me if you get a
vacation to Gitmo...]

Just remember, that military ship/aircraft movements during
peacetime are sensitive and that during war are classified. What you
are doing is definitely gray area stuff and warrants looking into.

Oh piffle, gray area my happy ass. Airplanes takeoff and land at
Patrick AFB...whoopee. I'd be worried about some evil-doer[tm] reading
an airline timetable and hosing off RPGs or MANPADS rounds at a
"whale."

You have been reported to NCIS. When something smells bad, it
usually is, not always. Hope you have nothing to fear, however you
will most certainly be investigated. You might not ever know. Then
again, you might? Standby.

Boy I bet that's got him scared now. Maybe the agent that "catches"
your report will be smart enough to roll her eyes and note your
paranoia, then again she just might think you're on to something
(that'd be very scary).

But at least Allan left his URL so it'll be harder for the secret
squirrel types to find him, finding me will be harder KOOL NI TS LUAP
ATOSENNIM REDNU "P" NI EHT ENOHP KOOB. [just in case you're
tumbleweed, KOOL = look, NI = in...]

Juvat
Old May 18th 04, 02:40 PM
T3

"Robey Price" wrote in message
[...]

It would seem that you(fudog50) are the "wannabe," mister net cop... I, and
I'm
sure others enjoy reading Allen's posts, if you don't like them or him don't
read them.
Jeez, unbelievable!!
Regards,
T3

Old May 18th 04, 05:25 PM
CallsignZippo

With all due respect a significant overreaction to the above poster
who monitors military (AC) comms. Although the forum he has elected
to post his intercepts may not be correct, neither was your response.

Having worked AF military radio shacks from Andrews to Croughton and
points in between, his posts, although probably off topic certainly
did not warrant a call to NCIS.

My AF Service goes back to the days of the old Global Command and
Control System-Stations AFCC/ATOS and ended shortly after the
introduction of now numerous SATCOM systems. I, as well as
innumerable other radio operators and drivers often received radio
transmission verification requests. Returning a unit patch and a
verification card was SOP in most cases.

There are numerous publications including "Monitoring Times" that
frequently publishes information regarding military comms that are far
more sensitive than Allan's intercepts.

Your statement(s); "You have been reported to the NCIS". "When
something smells bad, it usually is", "You will certainly be
investigated" et al, are pure gibberish.

Lastly, all the intercepts Allen has posted were made in the clear on
known VHF-UHF mil com frequencies, he has not "exposed" anything to
any adversary. When Allen starts posting decrypted frequency hop mode
xmits, I will become concerned. Until then, as my kids use to say,
"chill out".
Old May 19th 04, 05:20 AM
Guy Alcala

Robey Price wrote:

[...]

snip

Oh, I've always wanted to roll over and rat someone out to the feds! With
my luck I'll get classified as an enemy combatant -- being a Northern
California native probably qualifies me in the eyes of this administration
;-) And to think I believed that reading and analysing data from open
sources was a completely legal activity in this country. OTOH, the USAF
supposedly made the attempt to classify Maxwell's equations some years
back (stealth, don't you know), which would have been an interesting
exercise in ex-post facto censorship. I can see them now, trying to round
up 100 or so years worth of college physics textbooks;-)

Guy

Old May 19th 04, 05:50 AM
fudog50

Yeah I apologize for that one,,had a bad day and was a little
sensitive about the security issues,,,just trying to make a point,,,it
ain't business as usual anymore, and if you think it still is,,,then
go ahead.

but,,,how do you know if you don't like them if you don't read them?

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:40:33 GMT, "T3" wrote:

.. .

Old May 19th 04, 05:51 AM
fudog50

My point exactly,,,while what he is doing is ok,,,posting it to the
world is suspect,,,especially his motives?

Old May 20th 04, 05:01 AM
sameolesid

fudog50 wrote in message . ..
My point exactly,,,while what he is doing is ok,,,posting it to the
world is suspect,,,especially his motives?

Give it a rest fudog, there's nuthin classified here. Mr Stern's posts
are entertaining...Thats it!!
Old May 20th 04, 05:27 AM
fudog50

You're right, I'll give it a rest,,,there is nothing
classified,,,
like I said sensitive maybe,,just a normal reaction to this stuff due
to years on the pointy end during the cold war,,,try to post that
stuff in the 80's,,,
While it may be that you feel you are free to post any kind of
sensitive **** on here because of an ego thing, and it is totally
unclassified,,,just remember, our friends used to be our enemies, and
just as fast as it changed,,, it could change again.
Like I said,,,just another piece of the puzzle. Go ahead and
keep showing the world how CONOPS are performed in a military ATC
environment and the pattern of the COMMS, very smart.
"Military" is the key word here, and if you still feel it's ok
to post to the world our military Comms during a time of war, then
keep going, then we will see who's side you are on.
You seem to forget that "usenet" is the entire world, not just
some people here in the states you are trying to impress.