Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist

Old April 13th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist

On Apr 13, 9:58*am, ContestID67 wrote:
Great document. *Thanks.

Concerning "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to
start, should be followed unless there is a good reason."

This is ambiguous as to what is being referenced for the AGL height.
Cloudbase? *Critical updraft height? *BL height? *Sniffer max height?
Beer fumes from the bacchanalia the night before? *;-)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is top of the lift actually achieved by gliders
in the air. 3300 ft AGL is probably workable for many eastern sites
and possibly Hobbs but I would hesitate to start a task in Arizona
this low. Contestants are likely to be soon on the ground at local
strips or eating cactus! I personally would recommend a minimum of
5,000 ft AGL here.

Mike
Old April 13th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 13, 2:56*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:58*am, ContestID67 wrote:

Great document. *Thanks.

Concerning "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to
start, should be followed unless there is a good reason."

This is ambiguous as to what is being referenced for the AGL height.
Cloudbase? *Critical updraft height? *BL height? *Sniffer max height?
Beer fumes from the bacchanalia the night before? *;-)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is top of the lift actually achieved by gliders
in the air. 3300 ft AGL is probably workable for many eastern sites
and possibly Hobbs but I would hesitate to start a task in Arizona
this low. *Contestants are likely to be soon on the ground at local
strips or eating cactus! *I personally would recommend a minimum of
5,000 ft AGL here.

Mike

Spratt 2500 to launch is derived from a "standard" 2000 ft AGL tow
and, of course, we don't fly closer than 500 vertically from clouds.
3300 AGL is min recommended to open task. That does not say CD and
advisors must open at that. Local situations may dictate higher.
Example in the East- at new Castle 3300 above airport is only 800 or
so above some important local terrain. as result, the "go" there is
set higher.
I hope this clarifies a bit.
UH
Old April 13th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 13, 9:58*am, ContestID67 wrote:
Great document. *Thanks.

Concerning "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to
start, should be followed unless there is a good reason."

This is ambiguous as to what is being referenced for the AGL height.
Cloudbase? *Critical updraft height? *BL height? *Sniffer max height?
Beer fumes from the bacchanalia the night before? *;-)

Thanks.

I think the amswers are - launch if sniffer reports reaching 2,500agl
and Task open if task adviser in that class reports reaching 3,300
agl.

The CD may, or may not, ask other pilots what height they have
achieved before opening the task. Who is asked may depend on who was
nice to the CD the evening before.

Andy
Old April 13th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I'm pretty sure this is top of the lift actually achieved by gliders
in the air. 3300 ft AGL is probably workable for many eastern sites
and possibly Hobbs but I would hesitate to start a task in Arizona
this low. *Contestants are likely to be soon on the ground at local
strips or eating cactus! *I personally would recommend a minimum of
5,000 ft AGL here.

Mike

just because the task is open doesn't mean you have to start, right?
Old April 14th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Apr 13, 5:30*pm, Tony wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is top of the lift actually achieved by gliders
in the air. 3300 ft AGL is probably workable for many eastern sites
and possibly Hobbs but I would hesitate to start a task in Arizona
this low. *Contestants are likely to be soon on the ground at local
strips or eating cactus! *I personally would recommend a minimum of
5,000 ft AGL here.

Mike

just because the task is open doesn't mean you have to start, right?

Right; check your rules. The gate doesn't actually close until local
sunset.

-- Matt
Old April 14th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

So the "Spratt" (God rest his soul) line might be changed to;

OLD: "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to start,
should be followed unless there is a good reason."
NEW: "Spratt guidelines of sniffer reporting 2500’ AGL to launch,
contestants/sniffer reporting 3300’ AGL to start, should be followed
unless there is a good reason for higher minimums."
Old April 15th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
So the "Spratt" (God rest his soul) line might be changed to;

OLD: "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to start,
should be followed unless there is a good reason."
NEW: "Spratt guidelines of sniffer reporting 2500’ AGL to launch,
contestants/sniffer reporting 3300’ AGL to start, should be followed
unless there is a good reason for higher minimums."

This is not a rule, it's a guideline, and "unless there is a good
reason" is there for a reason! Yes, if you're in the boondocks, set a
higher limit. If you're in extremely hospitable farm country and have
a small number of gliders at the contest, lower limits are
appropriate.

The main point is, it is good practice to set some sort of
quantitative guidance for launch and task open in any given contest,
and at least consider it while making these tough decisions.

John Cochrane