New Oshkosh Tower

Old November 24th 03, 05:18 AM
Jeff Franks

Greasy food is another, etc.

Cracker Barell gets about 3; anything advertising "country cookin" or
"good eatin" gets a provisional 2.

Not from the south are you?

Old November 24th 03, 02:59 PM
Jay Honeck

One thing I'd give them praise Zaug's for is the soft serve ice
cream.....WOW! That's a requisite stop for my crew at least 3 times

during
that week.

Agreed. Their ice milk rocks on a 100 degree day!

BTW, that ain't "cream" -- the stuff comes in a big bag that looks just like
latex paint. Which isn't surprising, since the ingredients are identical --
just in different proportions.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 03, 06:38 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jeff Franks" wrote:

Greasy food is another, etc.

Cracker Barell gets about 3; anything advertising "country cookin" or
"good eatin" gets a provisional 2.

Not from the south are you?

I have lived in the South 10 years and consider it to be pretty much a
culinary wasteland. I can't fathom the taste for grease, canned veggies
or overcooked veggies.
Old November 24th 03, 06:52 PM
Peter Duniho

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news ...
I have lived in the South 10 years and consider it to be pretty much a
culinary wasteland. I can't fathom the taste for grease, canned veggies
or overcooked veggies.

You lived in the South for 10 years and managed to not find ANY good food?
You obviously weren't even trying. There's plenty of good food in the
South, especially of the "country cooking" and barbeque variety.

I admit to actually enjoying a Cracker Barrel breakfast once in awhile, but
if you don't get out of the chain restaurants, you'll never find a really
great meal. "Grease, canned veggies or overcooked veggies" in no way
characterizes all of the restaurants in the South, nor the prevalent cuisine
there.

Pete

Old November 24th 03, 10:51 PM
Jeff Franks

I have lived in the South 10 years and consider it to be pretty much a
culinary wasteland. I can't fathom the taste for grease, canned veggies
or overcooked veggies.

Lemme guess. You cook your tomatoes, but not your green beans....and you
like those rock hard roll things that can't sop up a lick of gravy from your
plate.

and "canned veggies"??? they put veggies in a can? Never had them

Seriously, Cracker Barrel does a fair job of replicating our cuisine on a
mass scale. But if you want REAL southern cookin at a restaurant, it has to
be served by someone with a hairnet and a southern draw so thick that even
the locals can barely understand AND every item on the menu has to end with
"...and gravy"

Lemme know if you ever fly down the TN way, I'll let you treat!

JF

Old November 25th 03, 12:02 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Jeff Franks" wrote:

I have lived in the South 10 years and consider it to be pretty much a
culinary wasteland. I can't fathom the taste for grease, canned veggies
or overcooked veggies.

Lemme guess. You cook your tomatoes, but not your green beans....and you
like those rock hard roll things that can't sop up a lick of gravy from your
plate.

and "canned veggies"??? they put veggies in a can? Never had them

Seriously, Cracker Barrel does a fair job of replicating our cuisine on a
mass scale. But if you want REAL southern cookin at a restaurant, it has to
be served by someone with a hairnet and a southern draw so thick that even
the locals can barely understand AND every item on the menu has to end with
"...and gravy"

Lemme know if you ever fly down the TN way, I'll let you treat!

JF

I DO like barbecue -- except that it has to be pretty well degreased.
Pecan pie is one of my favorites.

Hominy & grits? BLEAH!

Thr trouble with most Southern cooking is the use of bacon grease. Get
rid of the grease and you have a chance.

I lived in Huntspatch during the boom years and found mostly mediocre
restaurant fare there, but I haven't been there in 27 years.

BTW, the 18 treadmarks would probably be awarded to Bubba's Diner's
"Roadkill Possum Surprise."
Old November 25th 03, 04:45 PM
Ron Natalie

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

Hominy & grits? BLEAH!

Ignoramous. Hominy is a processed product of corn. It's also called posole in some
parts of the world. It's essentially corn kernels that are stripped of the indigestible
hulls. This is done either by soaking in lye or by crushing (the latter being pearly hominy).
Hominy is oft served by itself as a side dish. While I'm sure they use it in the deep
south too, it's got a big part in Chesapeake Bay cuisine, too. You can find it in cans
at the grocery store.

Grits are ground corn used to make a hot cereal. It's freqeuntly made of ground
hominy (e.g. Hominy Grits). I've never head anybody serving "hominy & grits"
it's either a bizarre combination or redundant terminology.

Grits isn't any worse than oatmeal. It's a whole lot better than some other
porridges, my wife is fond of Wheatina which to me looks and tastes like
toxic waste. The condiments with grits are pretty common stuff for porridges:
butter, salt, sugar.

Thr trouble with most Southern cooking is the use of bacon grease. Get
rid of the grease and you have a chance.

I've never found bacon grease in my grits. Besides anything tastes better
with bacon :-).

Old November 25th 03, 05:01 PM
Jeff Franks

.... Get rid of the grease and you have a chance.

Not on your life. In the south, "needs a little more bacon grease" is a
common cullinary term..e.g.:

"Hey honey, the grean beans taste pretty good....need a little more bacon
grease though"
"The gravy is a little dry, should have used a little more bacon grease."
"Love these biscuits, needs a little more bacon grease"

And the all time classic:

"Man this sweet tea is rich!"..."Darling, thats the bacon grease mason jar
your drinking, here's yours"

Ya'll take care now....hear.

Old November 25th 03, 05:06 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message ...
:

"Man this sweet tea is rich!"..."Darling, thats the bacon grease mason jar
your drinking, here's yours"

I'd much prefer the bacon grease to "sweet tea." Ugh, this is one vile part
of the southern cuisine. I watched one of my NC friends at Oshkosh hunt
in vain for sweet (iced) tea (they kept bringing him sugar)...real sweet tea
is a supersaturated solution (you have to disolve the sugar while the tea
is still hot)...Margy uses it as a lesson in her chemistry classes.

Old November 25th 03, 05:27 PM
Jeff Franks

HERESY! You yanks have gone too far now!

Of course you put the sugar in the tea while its still hot. Its the only
way to get a quart of sugar to dissolve in a gallon of tea?!?!?

Pssh. Duh.

I was in a nice restaurant in Boston a few years back and asked if they had
iced tea (not going so far as to ask for "sweet iced tea"). The waiter
brought me a cup of hot tea with a glass of ice.....hrm.....no wonder they
threw all their tea in the harbor. If it tastes like that I'd throw mine in
there too.

When I travel, its always amazing to me what just a few hours drive can do
to your taste buds. This country has a broad spectrum of different likes
and dislikes. I like them most (except the hard rolls).

Jeff (waiting for a tag from Jim Fisher before I get crucified)

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
. ..

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message

:

"Man this sweet tea is rich!"..."Darling, thats the bacon grease mason

jar
your drinking, here's yours"

I'd much prefer the bacon grease to "sweet tea." Ugh, this is one vile

part
of the southern cuisine. I watched one of my NC friends at Oshkosh hunt
in vain for sweet (iced) tea (they kept bringing him sugar)...real sweet

tea
is a supersaturated solution (you have to disolve the sugar while the tea
is still hot)...Margy uses it as a lesson in her chemistry classes.

Tower Enroute Control? Sam Jones Instrument Flight Rules 5 June 2nd 04 02:31 AM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Piloting 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM