GMRS Radios

Old December 15th 03, 02:49 PM
Gary Evans

Default GMRS Radios

These FM radios are now available with up to 3 watts
output and 7 miles range on the ground. They require
registration and fee but there is no test requirement.
Is anyone using them in the air and if so what is the
operating range and usefulness?

Old December 15th 03, 09:49 PM
sams

Iam using Cobra GMRS Microtalk, for the last 8 months. I found it very
useful and more kind of luxury using it. I carry around whenever I go
to garage, to clean the roof gutter or for any yard work or snow
removal work. I leave the other in the Kitchen or where others gather
around(TV).

This way I dont have to get into the house to retrieve something, with
muddy or snowy boots and eliminates the trouble of take them off and
put them on. I just call someone at home and ask them to keep it
outside the door. Sometime I ask them to bring a hot cup of coffee or
drink outside and we enjoy it on the place where we are. Before I use
to yell from outside, especially the TV is on and loud.

During and immediately after snow storm, there is lot of activity in
Ch 18. I have to switch to CH 22 or 21.

I tested the its range with driving around the neighbourhood while the
other kept at home, I found it not more the 2miles even at ch22. Its
kind of something to do with my terrain, lot of hill and trees.

But last two days I am picking up something in Ch18, either some
construction or warehouse people might be using it, I dont know its
legal to use GMRS for commercial purpose or its other type of radio.
But interesting to listen, and then we swith to ch22.

Old December 15th 03, 11:43 PM
Lord Struthers

I'm not sure on max range, but the're quite useful around the airyard. Beats
getting in the cart, and chasing the tug guy down or wondering whose taking the
next ride. Rich
Old December 16th 03, 06:55 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Gary Evans" wrote in message
These FM radios are now available with up to 3 watts
output and 7 miles range on the ground. They require
registration and fee but there is no test requirement.
Is anyone using them in the air and if so what is the
operating range and usefulness?

We use GMRS and FRS for ground launch and cable retrieve coordination. We
have a mobile unit on the winch and another on the Samurai, plus a few
handhelds. Chargers and NIMH would be a plus for the handhelds. Pick a
bright color. It shows up better in the grass if you drop one.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado

Old December 16th 03, 07:01 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

"Gary Evans" wrote in message
These FM radios are now available with up to 3 watts
output and 7 miles range on the ground. They require
registration and fee but there is no test requirement.
Is anyone using them in the air and if so what is the
operating range and usefulness?

We use GMRS and FRS for ground launch and cable retrieve coordination. We
have a mobile unit on the winch and another on the Samurai, plus a few
handhelds. Chargers and NIMH would be a plus for the handhelds. Pick a
bright color. It shows up better in the grass if you drop one.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado

Actually, we only use the FRS frequencies, since the mobile radios are FRS
only.

Frank