WinXP / SkyBound USB problem

Old October 2nd 04, 07:16 AM
Ted

Default WinXP / SkyBound USB problem

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows how a hardware device gets added to the
"Manufacturers/Models" list in the new hardware manager if the driver is not
included with Windows.

By this I mean:

If you go into "Add Hardware" in the Windows Control Panel,
select "Yes I have already connected the hardware" "even if you have not
Select "Add a new hardware device" from the bottom of the list,
then select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list
(Advanced),
then "Show All Devices"

you will get a list of Manufactures on the left, and hardware models on the
right. Most of these seem to be drivers that are included with Windows, but
I know that some hardware manufacturers can set up their drivers so that
they show up on this list.

Example:
The Windows XP installation of SkyBound II from Jeppesen adds the
manufacturer "Centennial" and the Driver "Linear Flash Memory Driver: Flash
Tools" to this list (under the category of "PCMCIA and Flash Memory
Devices").

Among several other files, it includes these 3 (apparently) driver related
files:
Cecs2000.sys (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
and CeCS2000.inf, CeCS2000.PNF (located in C:\WINDOWS\inf)

How is this driver getting on this list? Is it from the .sys file? from
the .inf file? somewhere else?

I would like to know this because I would like to be able to install their
new hardware, SkyBound USB which does NOT show up on the list. This is not
a problem if you can install the hardware automatically, but I can not. I
would like to know if there is any way to play around with these kind of
installation files to do a manual installation like in SkyBound2. Clicking
"Have Disk" and pointing it to the installed JeppD.inf file does not work;
it just says "The selected file does not include any information about your
hardware". From examining the .inf file, it looks like the manufacturer
should be "SmartModular" but this manufacturer does not show up on the list.
I don't know if this is by design, or an oversight. . .

Among several other files, it includes these 3 (apparently) driver related
files:
JeppD.sys (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
and JeppD.inf, JeppD.PNF (located in C:\WINDOWS\inf)

Note: both these programs can be downloaded from Jeppesen's website if you
want to see this behavior of where the drivers go, but I would caution
against installing the SkyBound II driver all the way without the hardware
inserted since it can do "strange" things to your computer including making
it reboot. Don't blame me or the publisher of this software if you screw up
your computer. You can go as far as seeing the manufacturer/model list
though. You can get both of them at the link below. (The programs
themselves are useless without the associated hardware and username/password
info) :

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.j...navdat a.html

Any help would be appreciated,

-Ted

Old October 3rd 04, 02:53 AM
Viperdoc

This file is actual added to the windows system. You can download it from
the Jeppesen website. For some reason, the linear flash memory device won't
show up under device manager or in hardware under PCMCIA flash memory on my
Sony.

It used to work great until last week on my XP Pro machine, and now Jeppesen
says it's a windows problem so they can't help me.

Old October 3rd 04, 08:47 AM
Ted

Right, it adds a .sys file, a .inf file, and a .pnf file that I believe are
associated with the driver but
for some reason the USB version doesn't show up on the hardware list. I'm
trying to figure out
how to tweak the .inf file (or whatever controls this) to make it show up on
that list. I guess I'm
going to have to learn more about how .inf files are built. I figured that
posting to some computer
newsgroups would get me some hints on how this works, but I have mostly just
gotten flames
from people saying my post is too long [impatient readers I figure ]

Odd that yours would suddenly disappear like that. Sounds more like a
problem with the card
than with Windows. Try doing a hard boot with the unit plugged in. If it's
a UPSAT card or
Trimble, try plugging it into the PC slot without the adapter (they are
PCMCIA cards).

Try a second card too if you have one.

-Ted

GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 04:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 08:59 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Owning 77 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 06:29 PM