Carying *stuff* as Sun n' Fun

Old March 18th 04, 12:37 AM
Blueskies

I like that 'hand cart' idea. I have dragged around a wagon and it is not so easy...

--
Dan D.

..
"Andy Asberry" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:35:08 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

I've never had the opportunity to make Sun n' Fun yet. I was
one of the convention Chairmen at Oshkosh.. er... AirVenture for some
years in the Homebuilders area.

I always take my cameras. Between the cameras, lenses,
tripod, and other accessories it has always taken a backpack to get
the stuff around. 90% of the fun for me is shooting photos and then
being able to go over them later.

I see that they are banning backpacks at Sun n' Fun.
Any one have any good ideas on how to carry at least two cameras,
three lenses, tripod, film, batteries, memory for the digital, laptop,
and all the other accessories around in the heat without putting a
permanent kink in an already bad back? (which is why I use the back
pack instead of a camera bag)

Actually I have two 35s and two digitals with two having to stay some
where out of the heat. Carrying 4 at one time is a bit much although
they all use the same lenses so the extra two only add about two or
three pounds.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I saw a fellow last year with a little cheapy, two-wheel dolly. He had
attached a box about 16" cube with a padded seat/lid. It had one
handle so he could pull rather than push it.

Old March 18th 04, 01:07 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:37:52 GMT, "Blueskies" wrote:

I like that 'hand cart' idea. I have dragged around a wagon and it is not so easy...

The wagon needs an extended handle - mine is about 6 feet long.
Old March 18th 04, 04:03 AM
dale

Who said backpacks wouldn't be allowed this year. They were last year and
everything was searched at the gate.

Old March 18th 04, 04:09 PM
Richard Riley

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:03:23 -0600, "dale" wrote:

:Who said backpacks wouldn't be allowed this year. They were last year and
:everything was searched at the gate.

From
http://www.sun-n-fun.org/content/int...yin&body=rates

"Coolers, backpacks, bicycles, scooters, rollerblades and skateboards
are not permitted on convention site."

Old March 20th 04, 02:36 AM
Eric Rood

Well... as the proud owner of the world's oldest Debonair, by flying in
you can park next to the gate in the Vintage Aircraft Area.
Keep everything in your airplane and you are but a short walk away.

Old March 21st 04, 04:37 AM
Drew Dalgleish

How about just borrowing your wifes largest purse? If it's not big
enough buy her a new one.
Drew
Old March 21st 04, 07:14 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:37:45 GMT, (Drew
Dalgleish) wrote:

How about just borrowing your wifes largest purse? If it's not big
enough buy her a new one.
Drew

I'd have to hire some one to carry it for her. She's only 4'10" and
1/2... I have to remember that half. More active than I am. Spent a
month in each of the previous Winters bicycling around New Zealand.
I'm happy to ride around the section.

At any rate, bicyclists have to travel light and that is one skill
I've never learned. Hence the Deb is usually close to gross with me
alone.

Old March 21st 04, 07:36 PM
jls

Dalgleish) wrote:

How about just borrowing your wifes largest purse? If it's not big
enough buy her a new one.
Drew

I'd have to hire some one to carry it for her. She's only 4'10" and
1/2... I have to remember that half. More active than I am. Spent a
month in each of the previous Winters bicycling around New Zealand.
I'm happy to ride around the section.

At any rate, bicyclists have to travel light and that is one skill
I've never learned. Hence the Deb is usually close to gross with me
alone.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Well, I guess they don't have to give any reason for prohibiting backpacks
and coolers, but I would say they are thinking about security and requiring
the turistas to buy beer and soft drinks on campus. Maybe that won't be so
bad unless the merchants gouge.

Best I can tell it's $20 a night to camp plus $30 to get in the gate if
you're an EAA member. That's worth it to me, at least for a few nights.
I'll look for your Deboner.

Old March 21st 04, 07:10 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:36:59 GMT, Eric Rood wrote:

Well... as the proud owner of the world's oldest Debonair, by flying in
you can park next to the gate in the Vintage Aircraft Area.

Yup! Built in 59 of the last century.

Keep everything in your airplane and you are but a short walk away.

Yahhh... Butttt....
Those temperatures inside an airplane that's been sitting there for a
while are kinda hard of cameras, film, and electronics. Although I
do tend to take everything except the kitchen sink. There's enough
stuff piled in there to keep the stuff in the middle cool for several
days. Then on the way home I just keep pulling things off the pile to
add heat...Of course I'm wearing most of it by the time I get to
Michigan.

I thought maybe if I hurried on the G-III I'd fly it down. Now there
is a plan. After all I only have a few thousand hours left to finish.

Old March 25th 04, 06:25 PM
Wright1902Glider

Roger,

Going back to the idea of hiring a guy to schlep everything for you... I will
work for food and passes. E-mail me if you're interested.

Harry