Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 3rd 04, 05:10 PM
Dick Locke

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:57:38 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

.and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

Say what? The US is one of a few countries that doesn't allow arriving
passengers to pick a green lane if they have nothing to declare.

Mexico is another exception, but I seen others lately that I can
recall.

Are you perhaps immigration with customs?
Old April 3rd 04, 05:50 PM
Go Fig

In article , Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

"Brian" wrote in
:

So how can we identify a person other than fingerprints?

How exactly does fingerprinting help? Only if you have two fingerprints to
_compare_.

What about after some incident, you must agree that fingerprints can be
valuable at this point. Clearly they were used in Madrid, as they used
discovered prints at that house to ID conspirators.

jay
Sat Apr 03, 2004

One specimen (the person entering the country), one certified by
an authority that it belongs to that individual. If they match - OK, if
they don't match - fake! But if they only have the one, the authorities
can't tell anything from it. "Hello, here's my fake passports, hello,
here's my thumb". What's the point?

Passports,
DLs, and every other form of ID have been no problem to duplicate for
terrorists.

How about procedures which can identify counterfeit passports? Methods
exist, it would make sense, and there wouldn't be protests against putting
them in place, as it wouldn't involve storing information about innocent
individuals in government databases.

Regards

Old April 3rd 04, 06:11 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:04:43 -0500, "Brian"
wrote:

"AJC" wrote in message
.. .
Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

So how can we identify a person other than fingerprints? Passports, DLs, and
every other form of ID have been no problem to duplicate for terrorists.

You could always wait for the biometric passports to arrive. The
reason the fingerprinting is being extended is that thebiometric
passports mandated by the US congress are running a little late (for
example the UK expects to have them available frommid-2005).

Oh, and just curious, but what's stopping the terrorists using
Canadian or US passports?

I'm just glad I get an exemption from the process thanks to a nice
shiny government visa, because otherwise I would *ot* come to the US
again as I object to being fingerprinted without even being accused of
a crime...or indeed of a crime even haivng been committed I could be
accused of.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster
Old April 3rd 04, 06:12 PM
Trust No One®

"Marie Lewis" wrote in message

Please note that fingerprinting is not nearly as common in, for example,

the
UK, as in the USA.
Here, you have to be suspected of a crime to be foingerprinted, and if you
are innocent, those prints are destroyed.

I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for the UK

Already the police can take and retain DNA samples if they arrest you; these
samples are retained even if you're not subsequently charged with a crime.

Fingerprinting will probably come in with ID cards. I'd be very surprised if
the cards are not made compulsory as the police are bleating for this.

Brgds,

--
Peter X-Files Fan
Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

Old April 3rd 04, 06:20 PM
AJC

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:43:30 GMT, Cyrus Afzali
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:08:54 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

When I arrive at JFK, I often wait 10-30 minutes in line, and I am a
USA citizen. The other lines are worse, and this is without the finger-
printing and photographing. I contrast that to countries like Finland,
Sweden, Austria, and Switzerland, where I breeze by passport control
hardly slowing down. I am sure this is the same for Denmark, Norway,
Iceland, and many other European countries. Your 99% must exclude
Europe, right?

If the country in question is part of the US-VISIT program, or
whatever it's called, the queues are often much shorter and the
screening is done before departure from the country you visited. I
just returned from Ireland a few weeks ago and all screening was done
in Shannon. The only thing done here was the agricultural
questionnaire.

Ireland is one of the very few exceptions in having pre-clearance, has
been for years. That doesn't help other Europeans, Australians, New
Zealanders, etc.
--==++AJC++==--
Old April 3rd 04, 06:23 PM
AJC

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:43:34 +0200, Magda
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:29:44 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, AJC arranged some
electrons, so they looked like this :

... Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
... former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
... any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

I have had my 10 fingerprints taken when I got my first identity card at 18. That card had
a big print (including sides) of my right thumb right under my picture. I didn't feel I
was being treated as a criminal at all. I wasn't intending to get in trouble anyway, so I
was glad that if an identity mistake happened, the police already had my fingerprints and
could prove my innocence.

One shouldn't have to prove one's innocence, that should be the
accepted position until proved otherwise.
--==++AJC++==--
Old April 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
Alan Pollock

In rec.travel.usa-canada AJC wrote:

Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

So you must be familiar with the process.

Seriously, driver's licenses are used as ID in the US.

Try to think. Figure it out. Oh wait. Nex
Old April 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
Thomas Peel

Chad Irby schrieb:

In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

Obviously you have never stood in line at SFO behind 4 other jumbojets
of passengers and 2 officers on duty.

T.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

Old April 3rd 04, 06:48 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Sjoerd" wrote:

That's not true. US immigration queues are amongst the longest in the world.

From the number of people, or from the speed of the process?

And the funny thing is, the people who are complaining about the US
wanting photos and fingerprints to come in are often from countries that
already insist on that for their own citizens (like Brazil).

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 3rd 04, 06:51 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Marie Lewis" wrote:

Please note that we all have the rest of the world to visit. Why visit a
country which treats us as criminals?

On the other hand, you could always visit Spain, and relax on their
nice, safe, high-speed trains. Or the ones in France.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.