CAT II Minimums on a CAT I Approach

Old July 23rd 03, 06:58 PM
Giwi

Default CAT II Minimums on a CAT I Approach

I've heard that some pilots have the authority to descend to CAT II
minimums (RA100) on CAT I intstrument approaches. If this is true,
then how is the CAT I approach altered? Is the DH simply lowered?
Seems like this would result in steeper approach angles to make it
work out right. Alternately it seems possible that the DH is lowered
farther along the inbound course...but wouldn't this make it more
difficult to transition out of the cockppit and land?
Old July 23rd 03, 07:19 PM
Ryan Ferguson

Yes, a recent edition of IFR Magazine covered this topic. It was news to
me as well.

Basically you can apply for Cat II authorization at Cat II runways with
'standard' avionics equipment (i.e. your normal GA spamcan) and a waiver
for Cat II authorization on Cat I approaches. FAR 91.193 is the reg that
states the FAA may grant authorization to 'small aircraft' for deviation
from 91.189, 91.191, and 91.205(f).

The authorization and/or waiver only applies to a certain pilot in a
certain aircraft. There are some slightly different currency
requirements, and gaining the authorization/waiver requires a flight
check in the specific aircraft for which the authorization/waiver is
sought.

The flight check is done with a fed onboard and uses the instrument
rating PTS, but always includes at least a two-engine ILS to Cat II
minimums and a single-engine ILS with a single-engine missed approach.

I find the whole thing quite intriguing, really.

-Ryan
CFI/MEI/CFI-H

Old July 23rd 03, 07:32 PM

Giwi wrote:

I've heard that some pilots have the authority to descend to CAT II
minimums (RA100) on CAT I intstrument approaches. If this is true,
then how is the CAT I approach altered? Is the DH simply lowered?
Seems like this would result in steeper approach angles to make it
work out right. Alternately it seems possible that the DH is lowered
farther along the inbound course...but wouldn't this make it more
difficult to transition out of the cockppit and land?

This authorization has been around some 30 years. It is limited to ILS
ground installations that meet CAT II performance requirements, but do
not have TDZ or CL. As I recall, it is limited to Category A aircraft.

Having said that, why do you think the geometry would be any different
for a CAT II DA/H? it is on the same G/S, just lower and closer-in than
the CAT I DA/H point.

Old July 23rd 03, 08:45 PM
Ron Natalie

"Giwi" wrote in message m...
I've heard that some pilots have the authority to descend to CAT II
minimums (RA100) on CAT I intstrument approaches. If this is true,
then how is the CAT I approach altered?

Not that I am aware of. What I am aware of is there is a procedure to
for pilots and the aircraft to get approved for CAT II approaches with
exemptions for some of the requirements (radar alt etc...). Requires
a check ride and is good only for the pilot/aircraft it's demonstrated in.

Old July 24th 03, 03:38 AM
Michael P. McCullough

This may also apply to aircraft operated witha HUD or the new EVS system
installed on Gulfstreams. Some Part 91 operators of transport category jets
(business jets) have been granted CAT II minimums on CAT I approaches after
receiving approval and VERY specific training.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

m...

Old July 24th 03, 04:03 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:19:46 GMT, Ryan Ferguson wrote:

Basically you can apply for Cat II authorization at Cat II runways with
'standard' avionics equipment (i.e. your normal GA spamcan) and a waiver
for Cat II authorization on Cat I approaches. FAR 91.193 is the reg that
states the FAA may grant authorization to 'small aircraft' for deviation
from 91.189, 91.191, and 91.205(f).

The FAA has granted authorization to both Part 91 and Part 125 operators to
use less than standard minimums on CAT I ILS's. A few years ago, when I
went through the CAT II authorization process in my Mooney, my recollection
was that this was not possible for my a/c. If I recall correctly, the
issue was that the various waivers were authorized to be issued for my
performance of CAT II approaches at CAT II runways. However, there was no
similar waiver authority to allow special CAT I minimums with the equipment
I had in my a/c.

The authorization and/or waiver only applies to a certain pilot in a
certain aircraft. There are some slightly different currency
requirements, and gaining the authorization/waiver requires a flight
check in the specific aircraft for which the authorization/waiver is
sought.

The flight check is done with a fed onboard and uses the instrument
rating PTS, but always includes at least a two-engine ILS to Cat II
minimums and a single-engine ILS with a single-engine missed approach.

Before you even go flying, the Fed's also do an inspection of the aircraft
to ensure that all the equipment requirements are met.

At least in a single engine a/c, the minimum required flight check consists
of only two approaches -- one to a full-stop; one to a missed approach with
a DH of 100' AGL. Of course, the FAA examiner is always looking at you for
attitude and general flying ability anyway. In a multi-engine approach,
there is a requirement to do a single engine missed approach with the
critical engine set at idle or zero thrust before reaching the middle
marker.

In addition, the standard for flying the approach is no more than 1/4 scale
deflection of either LOC or GP needles. That may be more rigorous than the
Instrument PTS, but I don't have that information handy.

I find the whole thing quite intriguing, really.

It was an interesting experience.

Old July 24th 03, 04:23 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message

use less than standard minimums on CAT I ILS's. A few years ago, when I
went through the CAT II authorization process in my Mooney, my

recollection

Just curious.. .did you do this as a training exercise or because you
intended to use these privileges?

Do you keep the privileges up?

Did you ever actually land when weather was less than Cat I minimums?

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old July 24th 03, 05:03 AM
Ryan Ferguson

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

The FAA has granted authorization to both Part 91 and Part 125 operators to
use less than standard minimums on CAT I ILS's. A few years ago, when I
went through the CAT II authorization process in my Mooney, my recollection
was that this was not possible for my a/c. If I recall correctly, the
issue was that the various waivers were authorized to be issued for my
performance of CAT II approaches at CAT II runways. However, there was no
similar waiver authority to allow special CAT I minimums with the equipment
I had in my a/c.

Very interesting. So if I understand this correctly (and maybe I don't,)
you're saying that you obtained authorization for CAT II approaches, but no
waiver for CAT I minimums with the equipment on-board your Mooney? If so,
which required equipment were you lacking?

Before you even go flying, the Fed's also do an inspection of the aircraft
to ensure that all the equipment requirements are met.

What are the equipment requirements?

In addition, the standard for flying the approach is no more than 1/4 scale
deflection of either LOC or GP needles. That may be more rigorous than the
Instrument PTS, but I don't have that information handy.

It is... the instrument rating PTS allows no more than 3/4 scale deflection on
the final approach segment of the ILS.

It was an interesting experience.

Like Richard, I am curious as to why you decided to do this and what, if any
utility you've gained from the Cat II authorization you were granted. I've
tossed the idea of pursuing this around for a little bit - mainly just for the
challenge and learning experience.

-Ryan

Old July 24th 03, 05:19 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:23:38 GMT, "Richard Kaplan"
wrote:

Just curious.. .did you do this as a training exercise or because you
intended to use these privileges?

Both -- I was looking for a challenge. It certainly made flying a CAT I
approach a piece of cake.

Do you keep the privileges up?

I did for a number of years when I was based at ASH. I haven't in the past
few years since being based at EPM

Did you ever actually land when weather was less than Cat I minimums?

Just once. But more importantly, I was able to depart BGR on a flight to
BOS when BOS was closed to a/c unless they were authorized for an RVR of
1200.