human powered flight

Old September 11th 03, 04:44 PM
patrick timony

Default human powered flight

Is anyone experimenting with human powered flight based on flapping
wing aerodynamics (hovering wing motion rather than soaring)? I have
a number of ideas and would love to exchange thoughts on the subject.
Some of them are as follows:

Materials: light, strong, sandwich-layered foam like Voltec's
mini-cell.

Leg wings, Power tail or Body fin (like a ray).

Wing shape based on rounded 3x5 rectangle with leading edge curled
down and trailing edge curled up.

Wing design using tapering Spirals intead of sharp angles.

Crawl or Doggypaddle style stroke rather than Butterfly.

Standing take-off, like a pidgeon.

Figure "8" wingstrokes (no upstroke) so force is distributed over
whole stroke.

If anyone has tried any of these or has any coments, please contact
me.

Old September 13th 03, 12:20 AM
Roland M

Try this one has not been update in a while but you will find links
and videos
Mostly japan has the most activity there REAL birdman rally was just
held new records
http://www.geocities.com/humanpoweredplane/
Worth planning a holiday around to see it, and you can walk along the
beach and talk with the groups etc
Roland
Old September 15th 03, 02:33 PM

: One reason this does not work is because humans do not have the strength
: to weight ratio for muscle powered flight. Birds are specialized. Even
: their skeleton is porous so the bones are lighter.

The human-powered planes that have crossed the English channel
required something like 2.5 HP (about 2000 Watts). That's about the most
efficient plane you can make that'll carry a person. Try peddling like
2.5 horses for more than a few minutes and see if you'd like to "land" yet

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old September 15th 03, 04:17 PM
Tim Ward

wrote in message
: One reason this does not work is because humans do not have the strength
: to weight ratio for muscle powered flight. Birds are specialized. Even
: their skeleton is porous so the bones are lighter.

The human-powered planes that have crossed the English channel
required something like 2.5 HP (about 2000 Watts). That's about the most
efficient plane you can make that'll carry a person. Try peddling like
2.5 horses for more than a few minutes and see if you'd like to "land" yet

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

You're off by an order of magnitude. The Gossamer Albatross flew on 1/4 to
1/3 hp.
See "Gossamer Odyssey" by Morton Grosser for lots and lots of details.

Tim Ward

Old September 15th 03, 06:58 PM

David O wrote:
I stand corrected. I recall hearing that number (1hp) on some
special and thought it was extremely unlikely. You gotta admit that even
1/3 hp for a long time would be a serious workout. People tend to not
have a feeling for how much power a light bulb takes until they work on a
treadmill.

: More like 0.4 hp (300 Watts) or perhaps even a bit less, Cory. The
: best Olympic caliber endurance athletes max out at about 0.6 hp (450
: Watts) of sustained power output. My 380 (or so) Watts got me to the
: to the US Olympic cycling trials in 1976 but I didn't make the team.

: At 50, I still storm my 30 year old racing bike over the mountains of
: north Georgia, but my extraordinary aerobic capacity went south about
: 10 years ago, along with my reading vision.

: David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old September 15th 03, 09:05 PM
patrick timony

wrote in message ...
: One reason this does not work is because humans do not have the strength
: to weight ratio for muscle powered flight. Birds are specialized. Even
: their skeleton is porous so the bones are lighter.

The human-powered planes that have crossed the English channel
required something like 2.5 HP (about 2000 Watts). That's about the most
efficient plane you can make that'll carry a person. Try peddling like
2.5 horses for more than a few minutes and see if you'd like to "land" yet

-Cory

I think the HPOs like the English channel one, require so much energy
because they are not using their weight efficiently. The style of
natural flight they are trying to imitate is soaring. I am talking
about hovering flight like a bumble bee or a humming bird or a
butterfly. The butterfly is really important I think because it has
low aspect ratio wings and if you watch them you can see that they're
moving just like a swimmer doing the "butterfly", which is sort of how
I think a human powered stroke would have to work. But I think we are
built more for the crawl stroke or a combination of the breast stroke
and the crawl, becuase our legs are so much more powerful and the leg
stroke would have to support most of our weight. I think the stroke
that would work best would be one that allows the flyer to adjust the
speed and style of each limb to support his body maintaining a certain
position in the air. This would probably look like three dimensional
running. Actually it would probably look pretty much like an
exagerated doggy paddle, if you've ever seen a dog swimming in place
in the water.

All the Ornithopters I have seen on the net are using bird=like or
dragonfly=like wings. I think they should lower their aspect ratios,
start thinking about vertical take off, and use curves, concave
surfaces, and even spirals in their wing design.

Patrick