Memorial day in Cambridge UK

Old June 1st 04, 04:28 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default Memorial day in Cambridge UK

Around 1500 people attended this years ceremony held at the Cambridge
American Military Cemetery on Monday and more than 118 associations laid
wreaths at the beautiful plot on Madingley Road which was gifted to the US
by the grateful people and Colleges of Cambridge.

Approx 4000 US servicemen of WW2 are buied there and there's a memorial wall
holding the names of 5000 missing in action
The RAF Lakenheath Honour Guard rendered a 21-gun salute and the Joint
Analysis Center, RAF Molesworth Honour Guard presented the colours.

Music for the occasion was performed by the US Air Forces in Europe concert
band and the 49th Fighter Squadron from Lakenheath performed a formation
fly-by with its F-15E Strike Eagle jets.

There was also a flypast by the Duxford-based American Flying Fortress
bomber, the Sally B, with an American P-51 Mustang and Spitfire escort.

RIP gentlemen some of us still recall your sacrifice.

Keith

Old June 1st 04, 04:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

Music for the occasion was performed by the US Air Forces in
Europe concert band and the 49th Fighter Squadron from
Lakenheath performed a formation fly-by with its F-15E Strike
Eagle jets.

I believe you dropped a number there. That should probably be 494th Fighter
Squadron.

Old June 1st 04, 05:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

Subject: Memorial day in Cambridge UK
From: "Keith Willshaw"
Date: 6/1/04 8:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time
[...]

Any ceremonies at Stansted, the home of the ol' 344th?

I dont know but I doubt it Art, Stansted is
now a major commercial airport.

Keith

Old June 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
ArtKramr

ubject: Memorial day in Cambridge UK
From: "Brian Colwell"
Date: 6/1/04 2:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Keith Willshaw"

Any ceremonies at Stansted, the home of the ol' 344th?

I dont know but I doubt it Art, Stansted is
now a major commercial airport.

Originally it was a cowpasture. It got levelled, they lay down a runway

and
threw up a load of Niessen huts and we (the 344th moved) moved in. Now a

major
commmercial airport. eh. I guess the ol' 44th left a mark of greatness on

that
ol' cowpasture. (grin)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,
They now move approx. 200 million passengers a year and it is the 4th
busiest aiport in the UK...see what you started :-))

Regards, BMC

Who'da thunk it. from that little airdrome with one runway and a load of shacks
it is now a major airport... Guess I'd never recognise the old field now. But
I'll always remember it the way it was. When it wasn't cloaked in a peasouper,
it was raining like hell.(sigh)

Old June 2nd 04, 07:49 AM
John Mullen

From: "Brian Colwell"
Date: 6/1/04 2:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Keith Willshaw"

[...]

It is the airport of choice for hijacked aircraft to be diverted to!

John

Old June 2nd 04, 09:45 AM
Keith Willshaw

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Who'da thunk it. from that little airdrome with one runway and a load of

shacks
it is now a major airport... Guess I'd never recognise the old field now.

But
I'll always remember it the way it was. When it wasn't cloaked in a

peasouper,
it was raining like hell.(sigh)

You can see pictures of the modern field at
http://www.baapicturelibrary.co.uk/

Keith