F/A-22 to make appearance at U.S. Air Force Academy parade

Old June 1st 04, 08:38 PM
Otis Willie

Default F/A-22 to make appearance at U.S. Air Force Academy parade

F/A-22 to make appearance at U.S. Air Force Academy parade

(EXCERPT) PRESS RELEASE -- Secretary of the Air Force, Directorate of
Public Affairs

Release No. 0601046 Jun 1, 2004

F/A-22 to make appearance at U.S. Air Force Academy parade

COLORADO SPRINGS, Co. - The F/A-22 Raptor will make a flyby appearance
at the cadet graduation parade today.

The graduation parade is the final cadet parade before graduation,
scheduled for June 2.

Academy graduate, Lt. Col. Dawn Dunlop, will be at the controls of the
F/A-22. A 1988 graduate, Lt. Col. Dunlop is a test pilot and squadron
operations officer at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., with nearly 100
hours of flying time in the Raptor.

Accompanying the F/A-22 will be an F-16 chase/photo aircraft flown by
Maj. Evan Dertien, 1993 graduate, an F/A-22 test pilot with 65 flying
hours in the Raptor.

The parade is scheduled for 10 a.m. MDT at the Stillman Parade Field.
The event is free and open to the public; tickets are not required.

Prior to flying over the parade area, the aircraft will be in a
holding pattern over the Garden of the Gods area from about 9:35 to
10:20 a.m.

About 15 minutes after the parade is finished, the F/A-22 Raptor and
F-16 will pass over the cadet area from north to south to complete a
photo mission.

-30- U.S. Air Force lists at

https://oaprod.hq.af.mil/saf/pa/misc/listserv.cfm

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old June 3rd 04, 03:19 AM
Sbschiltz

Damn and to think I live just down the street and missed it!
Old June 4th 04, 02:00 AM
Kurt R. Todoroff

I was in the stands for my daughter's USAFA graduation. The F/A-22 made
several passes north to south and vice versa. The crowd wouldn't stop talking
about it well after the parade ended. The first fly-by started with a simple
medium speed (I'm guessing 350 KIAS) pass over the parade field (south to
north) with the white and orange painted F-16 in chase, and culminated with a
nice pull to about 70 - 80 degree climb. Despite the dry Colorado air, the
pull produced quite a bit vapor on the wing upper surface. During the pull,
the pilot engaged afterburner, which we could distinctly see during the bright
Colorado day.

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not compulsion.
Old June 4th 04, 10:33 PM
Kurt R. Todoroff

Sincere congratulations on the accomplishment of your daughter.

Quite a day, but not "dry" by Colorado standards. Low scattered, going
to broken and slight drizzle by the end of the ceremony and
Thunderbird showtime. Did the low show, I guess.

Thank you for your kind sentiment, Ed. I do appreciate it, and will forward it
to my daughter.

I inadvertently omitted the word "parade". The F/A-22 entertained us during
her graduation parade on Tuesday late morning. Beautiful blue skies, thin
wisps at high altitude, and a bit of a strong wind on the parade field. It was
definitely a dry day on Tuesday.

You're right about Wednesday. The dark clouds arrived suddenly, so the
Thunderbirds flew the low profile after she and the other new officers tossed
their hats. Unfortunately, we had to wait several minutes after the initial
flyby over the stadium for the Thunderbirds to return because the President's
limo was still within the five mile radius during his egress. Then they
resumed their show. While we were waiting for the Thunderbirds to return, they
entertained us with live audio and video (on the large screen at the south side
of Falcon Stadium) from several of the Thunderbird pilots who are USAFA
graduates. The live A/V feed from the cockpits was quite impressive on the
large screen. The cameras faced aft towards the pilot and included a distinct
sky/ground background behind the pilot.

How far do you live from the Zoo? Did you have an opportunity to see the
F/A-22 from your house? Every current and former USAF pilot in the stands was
talking about the Raptor incessantly after its appearance. A friend of mine,
who has been my childrens' Academy sponsor for the previous five years, and I
seldom talk about flying in our former USAF days when we met during my trips to
visit my children. However, neither one of us could stop talking about the
Raptor during and after its appearance. It was breaktaking.

Old June 5th 04, 12:24 AM
Denyav

Keep that up and we'll have Denyav and Tarver here denying that it was
really the Raptor but actually an F-15C with prosthetics.

F15 is a highly maneuverable plane on other hand f22 is a super-maneuverable
plane.
If you check my posts,I always said "because of this super-maneuverability
requirement wont be able to satify its range criteria"

As of today,f22 is still not be able to meet its range criteria.period.

Unless they make neccesary radical design changes which are already embedded in
alphabet soup type modification proposals (A-22,B-22,E-22 etc,etc) it wont be
able to meet its original range criteria in your or my lifetime.
Needless to say,all proposed modifications
require a reduction of maneuverability,even with the possible installation of
3D nozzles.
Old June 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Denyav

And what is it's range criteria that it is not reaching? Tell us how
far it is suppose to fly and under

Pls check out my post dated 3/20/03.
No improvement since.