Flying from Florida to California - Need suggestions

Old May 5th 05, 01:01 AM
Amandasdaddy

Ok - I'm new and all - so what is "15 miles west of HEVVN."

Is that an IFR vector?

Old May 5th 05, 01:17 AM
Jose

Ok - I'm new and all - so what is "15 miles west of HEVVN."

Is that an IFR vector?

It's a location. HEVVN is probably an intersection. I don't have a
database in front of me and am not about to peruse all the charts from
Florida to California, but intersections used in IFR are all supposed to
be five letters and pronouncable. Intersections are used (among other
things) to define IFR routes. They are usually defined by crossing VOR
radials, sometimes by VOR and DME. Nowadays I bet they are putting in
some that exist only in the imaginations of GPS boxes too.

So, wherever HEVVN is, 15 miles west of it is... well, fifteen miles
west of it. Unless you're a country singer, in which case it's West
Virginia.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 5th 05, 01:27 AM
Cecil Chapman

Hey 'neighbor'! Do you fly out of RHV? It is my home away from home
grin.

Your adventure sounds just too cool! Be sure to document it with pics and
maybe a video or two and put it up on a web page or blog where it will be
well visited! This has to be a major dream for most of us who haven't done
it yet (i.e., coast-to-coast) but would like to!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old May 5th 05, 04:02 AM
Peter R.

Amandasdaddy wrote:

I heard it is better to fly early in the morning in these areas and be
grounded by arond noonish before the weather gets ugly. Does that
sound about right?

I dunno. Watching the Weather Channel, I have seen some pretty nasty
looking thunderstorms at 7:00am local time for those poor Floridians. In
your case, it will just have to be the luck of the day.

Whatever you do, watch those impenetrable lines of t-storms. I recall
reading an NTSB accident report where one such line forced a small
instructional flight off the coast and over the ocean. The CFI and
student had the unenviable decision of either attempting to penetrate the
line or run out of fuel over the ocean and ditch. They tried to penetrate
the line... and failed.

I'm thinking it might take me more than 3-4 days to get back
home...Is that too aggressive of a goal? Florida to San Jose in 3-4
days?

Are you instrument rated? Also, are you looking to sight-see along the
way, or simply fly the route to get home. To me, three days a tad on the
long side if you are an instrument pilot looking to simply fly home without
sight-seeing. If you are VFR-only? The time is probably about right.

A few years ago I flew from Kansas to upstate NY as a VFR-only pilot.
Remnants of a tropical storm parked over the Northeast US and it took me
three days to get home. A close call with another aircraft while trying to
fly under a low layer convinced me to get my instrument rating and I
started training within a week of arriving home.

--
Peter

Old May 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Peter R.

Amandasdaddy wrote:

Ok - I'm new and all - so what is "15 miles west of HEVVN."

15 miles west of Heaven! Get it?

HEVVN is an airway intersection and also a name of "that eternal place."

--
Peter

Old May 5th 05, 12:46 PM
Dylan Smith

In article .com, Amandasdaddy wrote:
I heard it is better to fly early in the morning in these areas and be
grounded by arond noonish before the weather gets ugly. Does that
sound about right?

Not really. I spent several years living (and flying) on the Texas Gulf
coast; the issue with afternoons is that it is uncomfortably hot. Well,
in the summer the mornings and evenings are also uncomfortably hot.

However, I did most of my flying after noon (I'm hardly an early riser).
Just pay attention to the weather briefer, make sure you see the radar
yourself and don't fly under/through or too close to thunderstorms. The
usual afternoon storm around coastal Texas is an isolated airmass storm
(not one of the rapacious monsters of the mid-west) and you can steer
around them. They tend to get nastier as you move inland, in my
experience (in the six years I lived on the south side of Houston I
never saw one hailstorm - in fact I've seen more hailstorms in the Isle
of Man than I ever saw in Houston - but the probability of destructive
hail got higher as you went further inland - I saw plenty of hail
reported on the radar or by the weather briefers for the north side of
Houston).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 5th 05, 01:23 PM
Denny

You've had a ton of good advice on route, weather, etc., so I'll skip
that and make one comment... KNEW is a fine airport and priced like
one... The French Quarter, etc. is a total waste of time unless you
are looking to get drunk and fleeced... Burbon Street is an over
priced dump infested with drunks, business ladies, and tourists
shuffling along like zombies... Off Burbon Street, and especially
after dark, you are simply a mark to be pick pocketed or taken anyway
they can... I have a couple of interesting incidents to relate, maybe
later when i'm in the mood to type...
Like you, I had never been there so we passed through last week... It
wasn't worth the cost of the gas to get there...
My opinion... YMMV...

denny

Old May 5th 05, 04:34 PM
Amandasdaddy

Ok -
Thanks! It sounds like I can skip New Orleans then. Does anyone
have a suggestion as to where would be a good stop for me, between
Florida and Texas? I am not familiar with too many places in that
area. From Florida to New Orleans was about 4.5 hours, and I can go
about another hour or so west.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old May 5th 05, 09:19 PM
Morgans

"Amandasdaddy" wrote

Thanks! It sounds like I can skip New Orleans then.

Not so fast.

It depends what you like, if you should go to Bourbon Street. If you
happen to like jazz, especially the Dixieland type, you need to go there.
The big easy is the home of the stuff. It also has great seafood, some
unusual drinks, that will pickle your gizzard, with a smile on you face.

You do need to wear a moneybelt, because there are more than a few thieves.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 6th 05, 02:34 AM
Casey Wilson

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Amandasdaddy" wrote

Thanks! It sounds like I can skip New Orleans then.

Not so fast.

It depends what you like, if you should go to Bourbon Street. If you
happen to like jazz, especially the Dixieland type, you need to go there.
The big easy is the home of the stuff. It also has great seafood, some
unusual drinks, that will pickle your gizzard, with a smile on you face.

You do need to wear a moneybelt, because there are more than a few
thieves.
--
Jim in NC

I don't know about the money-belt, but I do heartily recommend an oyster
Po' Boy at the Acme Cafe, just off Bourbon St.
If'n y'all ain't nevah been ta Nawlins, y'all ain't lived!
I do, however, have a problem with the smell of stale beer, rotting
veggies, and the occasional pool of vomitus when the temperature and
humidity are both in the the nineties before 10 a.m. When I go there, I
generally stay out of the French Quarter by several blocks on the west side.