18 Meter and Open Class Nationals 2nd Day # 711 reporting

Old May 31st 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 18 Meter and Open Class Nationals 2nd Day # 711 reporting

I am up at 6 am today, hopefully trying to find an open window of
weather for at least the Regional Sports Class to fly in. See, I am
the weatherman, and QV is sending me daily weather reports, along
with SZ, who is also helping. Sam, has been weatherman for many
contests, along with Richard, who are backing me up, as we try and
find a window of soaring weather for us.
Boundary layer winds in excess of 30 kts at 3,000 msl, along with rain
showers after noon today, almost got me hung, as we walked out of the
daily pilots meeting at 10 am to puff white clouds, with bases around
2,000 agl. See, the CD cancelled the day, which all the advisors
agreed to, due to the BL winds being so high, and a temp of 76 degress
needed just to have 2,500 agl bases. But a little after 12 noon, the
sky started to fill, and after 3 pm, we are having rain showers, along
with high winds. Its now 5:45 pm, and its now been raining on and off
for the last several hours.
Almost everyone is back in the box, with only several open class birds
tied out. The good news of the day was a presentation by DB, Mr.
Butler, many time US Team member, along with being a Regional and
National winner, giving us a talk on his new Open Class ship, the
"Concordia", under construction. It was well attended and we thank
Dick for his time.
Well, we have a grill out this evening to attend, and no, I am not on
the menu. More weather is heading up I 35 towards us, and we will
just watch each day, hopefully, we will get a window tomorrow.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe. # 711 reporting.

Old May 31st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 30, 6:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

better luck tomorrow. blipmaps look good to me. little
overdeveloped. ive flown the cherokee my furthest flight with a
similar forecast, about 100 nautical miles. that means the antares
should do 1000 km tomorrow right? glad you are having fun, wish I
was there...

Old May 31st 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

On May 31, 4:05 am, wrote:
On May 30, 6:00 pm, wrote:

Hi, guys,

Please, please, put "USA" in your titles about these Comps. Other
countries have 18m and Open Class Nationals too! I thought I had
missed mine or got the wrong dates in my diary, until I opened this
thread and found that it referred to your comps "over the pond".

Hint, hint, this is an international newsgroup, not one private to the
great US of A.

Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK
(site of many BGA National Championship Classes ... )