MS Flight simulator problem: rudder over reacting

Old July 6th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
SilkB

Default MS Flight simulator problem: rudder over reacting

It's been a while since I flew with MS flight simulator and I got back
in the cockpit the other day. I got CH yoke and rudder pedal and
installed FSX.
FSX is great but I have a problem (and in a way I think happened in
older versions of MSFS): when I use the rudder to maintain runway
alignment, it seems like the plane is jerking left and right a few
times until its settles back. As I am in short final I try to use the
rudder to keep myself aligned. If I apply right rudder, as soon as I
let it go the plane jerks left then right and left until the yaw
dampens.
Now, I fly the Cessna 172 (I didn't mention this was done in C-172) in
real life I the plane does not react that way. I turned P factor, gyro
and all that other fun stuff off but I still see the problem. I even
tried to lower the rudder pedals sensitivity but that did not help
either.
If anyone knows what the problem is or has any idea on a direction, I
would appreciate the help.
Thanks.

Old July 6th 07, 07:10 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Crash Lander[_1_]

Check the sensitivities, and increase or reduce the dead zones accordingly.
Crash Lander

--
http://straightandlevel1973.spaces.live.com/
I'm not always right,
oups.com...

Old July 7th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Will[_2_]

Personally I find the horrible calibration problems of FS9 / FSX to be one
of the key shortcomings of the product. You can recalibrate, but
ultimately to get the calibration to something comfortable you need to use
the calibration functions in the third party product FSUIPC.

Even then, it's a lot of work to figure out how to do FSUIPC calibrations
well, and the calibrations often need to be redone many times.

To me it is just ridiculous that Microsoft doesn't realize a lot of people
are buying third party flight controls and try to reduce this to a much
easier set of wizards and templates. It undoes a lot of the fantastic
simulator work to have a one inch deflection of a rudder pedal send you off
in a wild oscillation to either side of the runway.

--
Will

oups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 04:07 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Angelo Campanella

SilkB wrote:
FSX is great but I have a problem (and in a way I think happened in
older versions of MSFS): when I use the rudder to maintain runway
alignment, it seems like the plane is jerking left and right a few
times until its settles back.

I have noticed that with all of the MS products. I think it has to do
with the pot and digitizing algorithm to read that all pots. I have yet
to seea smooth algoritm in this regard. I suspect that MS is just plain
lazy in not polishing up this facet. A LOT better can be done.

As I am in short final I try to use the
rudder to keep myself aligned. If I apply right rudder, as soon as I
let it go the plane jerks left then right and left until the yaw
dampens.

Linearity and lack of baclash are words not found in MS dictionary. It
reminds me how stupid they can be. About the same mentality that
alloewed FS to fly into (through) buildings. 9-11 resulted, IMHO.

Now, I fly the Cessna 172 (I didn't mention this was done in C-172) in
real life I the plane does not react that way. I turned P factor, gyro
and all that other fun stuff off but I still see the problem. I even
tried to lower the rudder pedals sensitivity but that did not help
either.

I always find my (real) flying is a lot smoother after a few FS
sessions. My landngs are also much better!

If anyone knows what the problem is or has any idea on a direction, I
would appreciate the help.

Learn to ive with it.

Be alert for (non-MS) fixes.

Angelo Campanella

Old July 18th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Crash Lander[_1_]

"angelo Campanella" wrote in message
news
Linearity and lack of baclash are words not found in MS dictionary. It
reminds me how stupid they can be. About the same mentality that alloewed
FS to fly into (through) buildings. 9-11 resulted, IMHO.
Angelo Campanella

So you believe that Microsoft is responsible for 9-11?
Hope you got your flame proof jocks on mate.
Crash Lander

Old July 19th 07, 03:21 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
SilkB

Guys,
Thanks for all you comments.
The solution lies in the CH control manager. At first, I didn't fiddle
with it because I thought MS knew what they were doing but I guess CH
knew better. What did the trick for me was not only the sensitivity
but also being able to control the curves. It took a lot of iterations
until I got to something I can use - I am sure I will have to play
with it more in the future.

Silk

Old July 20th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Angelo Campanella

Crash Lander wrote:
"angelo Campanella" wrote in message
news
Linearity and lack of backlash are words not found in MS dictionary. It
reminds me how stupid they can be. About the same mentality that alloewed
FS to fly into (through) buildings. 9-11 resulted, IMHO.
Angelo Campanella

So you believe that Microsoft is responsible for 9-11?
Hope you got your flame proof jocks on mate.

Agreed...

I have another:

Mayor Daley's decision to trash Meigs Field (for general aviation use)
might have been inspired by FS's use of Meigs Field as home base, noting
that the capability to fly to the Sears Tower as noted..

Just musing....one never knows what permeates the minds of politicians,
paranoid as they may be.

Angelo campanella

Old July 20th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
ManhattanMan

angelo Campanella wrote:
politicians, paranoid as they may be.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't being followed...

BTW - I'd go to a different brand of glue......

Old July 20th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.simulators
Jay B

On Jul 20, 6:43 am, "ManhattanMan" wrote:
angelo Campanella wrote:
politicians, paranoid as they may be.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't being followed...

BTW - I'd go to a different brand of glue......

"Paranoid? Paranoid!?! WHO Told You I Was Paranoid!!!???!!!"

;O)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ