Aircraft Recovery Dolly

Old April 16th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default Aircraft Recovery Dolly

I need to acquire a dolly capable of recovering a typical general
aviation aircraft with a flat tire.
I would like something that I can just place the flat tire wheel
assembly onto without removing wheel pants or brakes. It also needs
to be capable of being towed up to a mile using only one tug.

Any ideas?

Old April 21st 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John T[_6_]

I assume you are planning to use a jack to raise the wheel with the flat?

The creeper concept is ok, but the first problem is the weight. You
need to expect 1000 lb per wheel for a single (Bonanza). Sure, the
passengers will be out, but the plane may be full of fuel and baggage.

The wheels on a creeper or on the dollies sold at Home Depot are another
issue. Even if they could take the weight, they are just too small for
cracked taxiways.

I recently moved a 650 lb grand piano and bought my supplies from Movers
Supply House in the Bronx. They sell a variety of dollies under $150.

There are also piano mover dollies designed for outdoor use, including
some with air tires. I would investigate those, too.

Good luck.

-John

Old April 22nd 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

..
"John T" wrote in message

I assume you are planning to use a jack to raise the wheel with the flat?

The creeper concept is ok, but the first problem is the weight. You need
to expect 1000 lb per wheel for a single (Bonanza). Sure, the passengers
will be out, but the plane may be full of fuel and baggage.

The wheels on a creeper or on the dollies sold at Home Depot are another
issue. Even if they could take the weight, they are just too small for
cracked taxiways.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5530_200365530

Wheels are 3"

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 23rd 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com wrote

Wheels are 3"

I have found you need at least 6" wheels to be used on outdoor pavement,
with heavy loads.

I suggest air filled wheelbarrow wheels, 4 of them mounted on the sides of
two pieces of angle iron, with the bottom of the angles extended wide enough
for the wheel to sit on an inch or so off the ground.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 27th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Here's a design that I've been mulling over. Since I don't have the
ability to weld something up, I was considering a double thickness
of 3/4" pressure treated plywood. If you can get a 2' x 4' piece, then
cut it in half and glue/screw the two together to get a 2' x 2' slab of
plywood that's 1 1/2" thick. Then mount 4 of something like these:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...029422_1029422

using through-bolts, fender washers and locknuts.

You'd get approx 1200' capacity with not too much cost.

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com

Old April 28th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

I bet those tiny wheels would be a bear to push around on asphalt
runways/taxiways/ramps. Also, I wonder if the wheel arc would cause a
problem... you'd definitely need to remove any wheel pants.

Dan D wrote:
These?

Old April 29th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Not bad. Put some 8" or larger pnematic casters on something like that, and
you would have something that would work outside at an airport. With those
small wheels, even a piece of pea gravel or crack in the pavement would
cause one wheel to stop, piviot the assembly to the side, and tear off a
wheel pant, or drop the wheel on the ground with resultant damages.
--
Jim in NC

LS4 tail dolly Leigh Soaring 0 May 30th 08 02:02 AM
ASK-21 - is a tail dolly necessary? Dave Springford Soaring 7 December 31st 07 09:43 AM
FS: ASW-24 Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 December 26th 06 03:40 PM
WTB: used tail dolly David Campbell Soaring 5 April 17th 06 03:19 PM
assembly dolly Udo Rumpf Soaring 0 April 29th 05 04:17 PM