Spark plug cleaner

Old May 21st 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Spark plug cleaner

Ross, reading your post reminded me of another aspect of ground leaning. I
also start the engine with the mixture in the ground lean position, which is
maybe at most 1/2 inch forward of idle cut-off. Starting has always been
easy with just a single pump of the throttle both hot and cold.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/
"Ross" wrote in message
texas slacker wrote:
Went out this morning and rolled the Warrior out for a little soul
restoring and piston oiling. It totally fulunked the run-up, tried to
burn the crud off the offending plug, no joy. Took it back to the
hanger and started pulling plugs. They all felt hot so I pulled them
in order. The crudded up plug was the last one. Didn't have anything
small enough to get in the massive type gap. Finally took the plug to
the mechanic and he dug out a special tool to gouge out the offending
material. Put the plug back in and Warrior passed the run-up. Flew
for a half hour just to be sure and made a good cross wind landing.
Life is good.
Now - I need to buy or fabricate some sort of gadget to do a decent
job of cleaning the plugs. In looking around I see that Chief
Aircraft has a sand blaster type for about $23. This looks possibly,
has anyone ever used this particular gadget and did it do the job?
Anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks. Leo

I have cleaned lot of plugs and generally you will always find some
material. That was one reason that I aggressively lean while on the
ground. I noticed the little lead deposits were not there or smaller. My
mechanic had the "special" tool to first dig out the little nodules, then
I took it to his plug sandblaster to finally clean them out. It looked
like he had a awl that was filed and bent to get into all of the areas of
the plug. I have some old dental picks that my dentist gave me that seem
to work also. BTW, his sandblaster was a professional kind and much more
that $25.00. We also took a wire wheel and carefully cleaned the threads
before applying the antisiezing compound to the first two threads. Oh,
and blow out the plug with a air gun to get any grit out.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old May 22nd 09, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Thu, 21 May 2009 11:37:25 -0500, Ross wrote:

that seem to work also. BTW, his sandblaster was a professional kind and
much more that $25.00. We also took a wire wheel and carefully cleaned
the threads before applying the antisiezing compound to the first two
threads. Oh, and blow out the plug with a air gun to get any grit out.

I should have read more posts before I responded. I seemed to have said
the same thing that everyone else said. One thing about the aggressive
lean on the ground is that if you try to take off and forget to push the
mixture in, the engine quits or sputters as a good reminder. Ask my how
I know

but if you are fast you can roll almost to the yellow line clear of
the active area of the runway.
no amount of being fast will get the mixture back full rich in time
though.
I'll bet you know the same way I do :-)

jetlube coppercoat grease is my antisieze.

Stealth Pilot
Old May 22nd 09, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Thu, 21 May 2009 14:42:05 -0700, "Mike Noel"
wrote:

Ross, reading your post reminded me of another aspect of ground leaning. I
also start the engine with the mixture in the ground lean position, which is
maybe at most 1/2 inch forward of idle cut-off. Starting has always been
easy with just a single pump of the throttle both hot and cold.

yeah but that depends entirely on how the throttle pump on your carby
is set up. (there are 3 settings on the schebler)
mine would behave like that but would die on throttle increases at
altitude. it is now changed to give correct prime with 3 pumps and
doesnt die when throttle is increased at altitude.
there is a little plate that drives the actual pump plunger that has 3
holes in it.
Stealth Pilot
Old May 22nd 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Mike Noel wrote:
Ross, reading your post reminded me of another aspect of ground leaning. I
also start the engine with the mixture in the ground lean position, which is
maybe at most 1/2 inch forward of idle cut-off. Starting has always been
easy with just a single pump of the throttle both hot and cold.

When I had the plane (and had the opportunity to fly it Wednesday for
the new owner) my starting procedure for the Lyc O-360 was three primes,
turn the key and one pump on the throttle and it always started on two
blades. That was for first start. Any other start that day was usually
just turn the key and maybe one pump on the throttle. I never did the
lean during start. Now I understand fuel injected hot starts are another
issue.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Best spark plug cleaning tool? Dan Luke Owning 5 August 10th 05 07:08 AM
Spark plug question for Archie John S Home Built 0 February 17th 05 07:56 PM
Vintage spark plug Robert Eagle Restoration 0 November 30th 04 09:57 PM
Q: Spark Plug Life john smith Owning 7 August 15th 03 05:11 PM
spark plug question Bill T. Owning 0 July 3rd 03 07:08 PM