Oops... Airliner lands at the wrong airport...

Old June 24th 04, 03:24 AM
Viperdoc

The tower controller at RAP does have a D bright. Someone asked him that
question over the air today as we departed from RAP and he confirmed the
same.

Old June 24th 04, 03:28 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Actually, given the class on negotiation part, this is pretty funny.

I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking clones,

Given their track records over the past 20 years or so....

lawyers as dishonest money-grubbers, doctors as drug-pushers, accountants

as
crooks, teachers as uncaring civil-servants, etc. A large percentage of

the
brightest people in the country get these degrees.

And the majority of failed companies are run by MBA's.

Perhaps some of them
actually accomplish something in life.

Just not in the business world.

Old June 24th 04, 04:09 AM
Michael 182

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Actually, given the class on negotiation part, this is pretty funny.

I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking

clones,

Given their track records over the past 20 years or so....

This is the kind of nonsense I was talking about. Yes, you can point to high
profile failures, I can point to high profile successes. So what. The vast
majority are quiet, productive contributors to society. Are you suggetsing
that we'd be better off in a ess well-educated environment?

lawyers as dishonest money-grubbers, doctors as drug-pushers,

accountants
as
crooks, teachers as uncaring civil-servants, etc. A large percentage of

the
brightest people in the country get these degrees.

And the majority of failed companies are run by MBA's.

As are the majority of successful companies. That's what MBA's do. They run
companies. Big surprise there.

Perhaps some of them
actually accomplish something in life.

Just not in the business world.

Give me a break. Get a clue, Tom.

Old June 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Actually, given the class on negotiation part, this is pretty funny.

I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking

clones,

Given their track records over the past 20 years or so....

This is the kind of nonsense I was talking about. Yes, you can point to

high
profile failures, I can point to high profile successes. So what.

So, the business failure rate has grown enormously over the past twenty
years since the MBA became popular. The MBA programs do not teach advances
business principles. They do not teach leadership; they teach politicing
(especaily politically correct politicing) and they teach stiffling
bureaucracy.

The vast
majority are quiet, productive contributors to society. Are you suggetsing
that we'd be better off in a ess well-educated environment?

If what passes for "education" today is what you refer to, yes. It's an
extension of the same "education" that gave us 50% adult illiteracy.

I do know a few MBA's that are pretty sharp, but they come from
entrepreneurial environments. The rest couldn't run a lemonade stand.

Old June 24th 04, 06:20 AM
Michael 182

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Michael 182" wrote in message
The vast
majority are quiet, productive contributors to society. Are you

suggetsing
that we'd be better off in a less well-educated environment?

If what passes for "education" today is what you refer to, yes. It's an
extension of the same "education" that gave us 50% adult illiteracy.

In a previous post you claimed to have completed an MBA program. Since you
did so, you realize that receiving an MBA (and, I suspect, any other
advanced degree) requires reading tens of thousands of pages in accounting,
management, statistics, operations, finance, marketing, etc. over a two year
period. I'm curious how that promotes "50% adult illiteracy."

Old June 24th 04, 09:16 AM
Jack

On 6/24/04 12:20 AM, in article kwtCc.83953$Hg2.59562@attbi_s04, "Michael
182" wrote:

[Any advanced degree] requires reading...thousands of pages...over a two year
period. I'm curious how that promotes "50% adult illiteracy."

You are proving the point for your opponent. You should have quit while you
were ahead.

--
Jack
"The only thing that is new is the history you don't know." -- H.L Mencken

Old June 24th 04, 01:24 PM
Peter Gottlieb

If what passes for "education" today is what you refer to, yes. It's an
extension of the same "education" that gave us 50% adult illiteracy.

In a previous post you claimed to have completed an MBA program. Since you
did so, you realize that receiving an MBA (and, I suspect, any other
advanced degree) requires reading tens of thousands of pages in

accounting,
management, statistics, operations, finance, marketing, etc. over a two

year
period. I'm curious how that promotes "50% adult illiteracy."

I had a very similar "discussion" with someone a few years back. It came
down to home schooling vs. public schooling. Why? Because in home
schooling there is no requirement to teach evolution; it is replaced with
creationism and other faith-based concepts. This person would never accept
the validity of public education, or even private (prep school and
university) education if it was not affiliated with the Church and it's
teachings.

Not saying this is the case here, but I think this discussion may be about
something different than what you think it is.

Old June 24th 04, 04:45 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

"Michael 182" wrote in message

If what passes for "education" today is what you refer to, yes. It's

an
extension of the same "education" that gave us 50% adult illiteracy.

In a previous post you claimed to have completed an MBA program. Since

you
did so, you realize that receiving an MBA (and, I suspect, any other
advanced degree) requires reading tens of thousands of pages in

accounting,
management, statistics, operations, finance, marketing, etc. over a two

year
period. I'm curious how that promotes "50% adult illiteracy."

Oddly, those "highly educated" types make the most fundemental errors in
each of those areas. Just becuase they read it, doesn't mean what they read
is of any value. For example, the last couple MBA texts I'd seen where
entrenched in Keynesain and Marxist economics, their marketing was strictly
"getting customers in the door"...

I had a very similar "discussion" with someone a few years back. It came
down to home schooling vs. public schooling. Why? Because in home
schooling there is no requirement to teach evolution; it is replaced with
creationism and other faith-based concepts.

Was that HIS point or do you have some support that such is the basis of
home schooling?

This person would never accept
the validity of public education, or even private (prep school and
university) education if it was not affiliated with the Church and it's
teachings.

Not saying this is the case here, but I think this discussion may be about
something different than what you think it is.

Funny, I've been around home schoolers for over fifteen years and only a
handful were fundementalists. The rest homeschooled because the public
schools are a joke regarding reading, writing, math, history, literature,
civics...

Old June 24th 04, 04:53 PM
Tom Sixkiller

182" wrote:

[Any advanced degree] requires reading...thousands of pages...over a two

year
period. I'm curious how that promotes "50% adult illiteracy."

You are proving the point for your opponent. You should have quit while

you
were ahead.

--
Jack
"The only thing that is new is the history you don't know." -- H.L Mencken

Imagine if Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford, Schwab, Mellon, all
those great industrialists would have been with business educations, much
less MBAs.

--
"The aim of public education is not to spread
enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as

Old June 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I just get tired of mindless stereotyping of MBAs as non-thinking clones,
lawyers as dishonest money-grubbers, doctors as drug-pushers, accountants as
crooks, teachers as uncaring civil-servants, etc.

don't forget about B744 pilots as just "heavy machinery operators."

Gerald