Charted Visual Flight Procedures

Old May 4th 05, 08:31 AM
Hilton

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Scott Draper" wrote in message
===================
How about clouds?
===================

Don't you think that the normal requirement of "clear of clouds",
which applies to a normal visual approach would also apply to a
"charted" visual approach?

Yes I do, but one can be "clear of clouds" and still be in IMC in

controlled
airspace.

According to the strict definition, yes, you are correct. However, it would
be my guess that the vast majority of pilots use "in IMC" to means "in the
clouds" etc.

Hilton

Old May 4th 05, 01:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...

According to the strict definition, yes, you are correct. However, it
would
be my guess that the vast majority of pilots use "in IMC" to means "in the
clouds" etc.

Then the vast majority of pilots use the term incorrectly.

Old May 5th 05, 08:23 AM
Antoņio

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Then the vast majority of pilots use the term incorrectly.

Errr...as one of the "vast majority" would you clarify for me the
difference? Do you mean that the strict definition of IMC is "less than
VFR" ?

Antoņio
Old May 5th 05, 10:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Antoņio" wrote in message

Errr...as one of the "vast majority" would you clarify for me the
difference? Do you mean that the strict definition of IMC is "less than
VFR" ?

Yes.

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:

IMC- (See INSTRUMENT METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS.)

INSTRUMENT METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS- Meteorological conditions expressed in
terms of visibility, distance from cloud, and ceiling less than the minima
specified for visual meteorological conditions.

Old May 5th 05, 11:41 AM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:23:18 -0700, Antoņio
wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Then the vast majority of pilots use the term incorrectly.

Errr...as one of the "vast majority" would you clarify for me the
difference? Do you mean that the strict definition of IMC is "less than
VFR" ?

Antoņio

I believe, when all is said and done, IMC refers to the meterological
conditions where one must operate under IFR, and VMC refers to the
conditions where one may operate under VFR.

Therefore a given visibility/cloud clearance condition could be
either, depending on the class of airspace one happens to be in.
Old May 5th 05, 09:19 PM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:08:22 -0700, Antoņio

I believe, when all is said and done, IMC refers to the meterological
conditions where one must operate under IFR, and VMC refers to the
conditions where one may operate under VFR.

Therefore a given visibility/cloud clearance condition could be
either, depending on the class of airspace one happens to be in.

I agree with all you have said with one minor nit-pic on your word
"must"...

If the conditions are tecnically IMC one can still operate under Special
VFR which is a VFR operation. I vaguely recall there also may be
specific conditions within class G airspace where IMC allows for VFR
operations.

Antonio

I'd agree that the special VFR is a hybrid.

In class G, however, there is no such duality, as far as I know. If
you have one mile, you can operate VFR and therefore are in VMC.

I think.
Old May 5th 05, 09:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Antoņio" wrote in message

I agree with all you have said with one minor nit-pic on your word
"must"...

If the conditions are tecnically IMC one can still operate under Special
VFR which is a VFR operation.

Special VFR is available only in a surface area.

I vaguely recall there also may be specific conditions within class G
airspace where IMC allows for VFR operations.

There are no such conditions, but VFR minimums can be as low as one mile
visibility and clear of clouds for airplanes in Class G airspace.

Old May 6th 05, 01:00 AM
Antoņio

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Antoņio" wrote in message

I agree with all you have said with one minor nit-pic on your word
"must"...

If the conditions are tecnically IMC one can still operate under Special
VFR which is a VFR operation.

Special VFR is available only in a surface area.

Correct. Why do you mention it?

I vaguely recall there also may be specific conditions within class G
airspace where IMC allows for VFR operations.

There are no such conditions, but VFR minimums can be as low as one mile
visibility and clear of clouds for airplanes in Class G airspace.

You are right. (See my post above)

Antonio