Naval Aviation Museum Risk

Old September 14th 04, 05:16 AM
RA-5C

Default Naval Aviation Museum Risk

I am posting this as a concern for the safety of the Naval Aviation
Museum in Pensacola, Florida and the serious threat that Hurricane Ivan
is for the area. The museum is high enough above the water level to be
safe from flooding and tidal surges but many have expressed concerns
about the strength of the building that houses the fantastic collection.
Then there are questions as to the protection of the aircraft that are
not inside the museum. Would anyone with a connection to the museum like
to comment on this matter?

Old September 14th 04, 05:30 AM
Larry

"RA-5C" wrote in message
I am posting this as a concern for the safety of the Naval Aviation
Museum in Pensacola, Florida and the serious threat that Hurricane Ivan
is for the area. The museum is high enough above the water level to be
safe from flooding and tidal surges but many have expressed concerns
about the strength of the building that houses the fantastic collection.
Then there are questions as to the protection of the aircraft that are
not inside the museum. Would anyone with a connection to the museum like
to comment on this matter?

There's a thread over on rec.aviation.military (NAS Pensacola vulnerability
IVAN, posted Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:59 PM) that just had a
discussion on this. You may want to pop over there.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old September 17th 04, 07:21 PM
James Goodwin

"Larry" wrote in message ...
"RA-5C" wrote in message
I am posting this as a concern for the safety of the Naval Aviation
Museum in Pensacola, Florida and the serious threat that Hurricane Ivan
is for the area. The museum is high enough above the water level to be
safe from flooding and tidal surges but many have expressed concerns
about the strength of the building that houses the fantastic collection.
Then there are questions as to the protection of the aircraft that are
not inside the museum. Would anyone with a connection to the museum like
to comment on this matter?

There's a thread over on rec.aviation.military (NAS Pensacola vulnerability
IVAN, posted Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:59 PM) that just had a
discussion on this. You may want to pop over there.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Gents

Hurricane Ivan has passed NAS Pensacola and we do need a damage
assessment of the Naval Aviation Museum and its collection. How did
the glass windowed structure hold against the winds? Did glass
shatter and let in sheets of rainwater inside the structure? Did the
F-14 posted on a pylon in front of the museum hold on to its pylon?
What about the aircraft tied down outside the museum? Did they stay
tied down or were they turned into scrap metal after crashing against
each other? These are what we need to know. There is nothing on CNN,
Defense link about the damage and Early Bird is down for some reason
since yesterday September 16th.

Any damage assessment provided by anyone greatly appreciated by all of
those who are interested in the old Navy aircraft preserved by the
Naval Aviation Museum. Our regrets do go out to those of you who lost
property in the wake of Hurricane Ivan and we hope all of the affected
people are speedily able to rebuild their homes and their lives.

James K. Goodwin

Old September 17th 04, 10:10 PM
George Shirley

James Goodwin wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message ...

"RA-5C" wrote in message

[...]

Just heard a story on Fox News about the base, said millions in damage,
base hospital really torn up and "all" buildings heavily damaged but no
injuries or deaths among base personnel. Nothing was said about the
museum though so I guess we're all still wondering.

George

Old September 17th 04, 11:33 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , George
Shirley wrote:

Just heard a story on Fox News about the base, said millions in damage,
base hospital really torn up and "all" buildings heavily damaged but no
injuries or deaths among base personnel. Nothing was said about the
museum though so I guess we're all still wondering.

I tried calling earlier today. One of the area codes for the
base was not accepting calls, the other area code said that your
call could not be completed. I also noticed that the musuem web
server was down. Not good indicators.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 18th 04, 04:54 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 9/17/04 4:10 PM, in article
, "George Shirley"
wrote:

SNIP

Just heard a story on Fox News about the base, said millions in damage,
base hospital really torn up and "all" buildings heavily damaged but no
injuries or deaths among base personnel. Nothing was said about the
museum though so I guess we're all still wondering.

George

Does that mean that NOMI (formerly NAMI) got Whammied? Paybacks... Gotta
love 'em.

--Woody

Old September 18th 04, 05:41 AM
BuZzY

Perhaps a little good news--

I am clipping a phrase from some news copy: "The Pensacola Naval
Aviation Museum, where the Navy houses its most valuable aviation
artifacts, held up, officials said."

The URL:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...709&ran=212492