Brake Rivet Problem

Old May 18th 05, 01:50 AM
Jay Masino

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
I guess they can be hammered if you're skilled at it, but I think that
he's referring to the head of the rivet, which looks "smashed" by the
brake rivet tool.

I personally have two different types of rivet installing tools. One is
used by striking a "punch-like" tool, while the other is similar to a
C-clamp and squeezes the rivet as you turn the handle. The squeezing tool
is much easier to use and yields far more consistent results.

In my case, the linings were tight, but the rivets didn't look like the
factory ones, so I wasn't sure whether I was missing something.

Sounds like your probably OK.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 18th 05, 02:04 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:32:02 -0500, Don Hammer
wrote:

snip

The factory puts them on with a roto-pien (sp?) tool. You won't be
able to duplicate that. The rivets are a shear device and carry very
little load under tension. I always put them on with a light hammer
and only tight enough to secure the pad tightly. You don't want to
crack the pad.

We had one in the shop that used a lead screw on the punch instead of
a hammer. Am thinking it was a Rapco product. It did a fine job of
"spinning" out the shop heads on the rivets.

TC
Old May 18th 05, 08:14 PM

The factory puts them on with a roto-pien (sp?) tool. You won't be
able to duplicate that.

The factory squeezes them just like you can, but the tool needs
to have the right profile on the face and it has to be properly
polished. We have the tools and they work just fine, making rivet
flares just like the originals. The biggest hassles include getting
them tight enough without cracking the pad and avoiding cracking the
rivet flare in more than two places.
In the 1970's I sold truck parts and in the back of the shop we
had brake relining equipment, including a foot-operated riveter. I
relined shoes from a 4" industrial spin-dryer brake to 6" Cushman
scooter brakes to autos and light and heavy truck brakes, and the worst
were the earthmover shoes that weighed about 50 pounds each and had 96
rivets holding four friction blocks. I learned early on to watch those
rivet upset tools, discarding the chipped or worn ones that mashed
rivets instead of rolling them over in a proper flare.
And I must have absorbed a lot of asbestos...

Dan